Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley Jeff Findley is offline

Default iPod shuffle dock pinout

Yesterday I bought a few iPod shuffle accessory packs at Radio Shack for $3
each. In them, among other things, is an iPod Shuffle dock. Of course I
had to rip it apart to see what's inside.

Upon liberation of the circuit board, I found that the iPod shuffle dock has
a slightly non-standard USB A jack on it. It's got the normal 4 pins for
USB, but it's also got five very thin pins on either end and between the
normal USB pins. If you also count the shield, which is wired separately on
this unit, that's 10 pins.

I searched the web for the pinout of this, but came up with nothing. The
dock has two settings, one connects the USB data lines to a host (PC) so you
can use it as a mass storage device. The other setting lets you charge the
shuffle and play music on the shuffle through a headphone/line output jack.

Does anyone know what the pinout is for this non-standard USB port? A link
would be great.

Thanks,
Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Murray Peterson Murray Peterson is offline

"Jeff Findley" wrote in
:

I searched the web for the pinout of this, but came up with nothing.

You can't have been searching all that much. Go to google, and search for
"ipod pinout" -- first link that comes up has exactly what you want:
http://pinouts.ru/Devices/ipod_pinout.shtml

BTW -- it's not USB

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Murray Peterson Murray Peterson is offline

Murray Peterson wrote in
:

BTW -- it's not USB

Oops -- meant to say that it's not only USB
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Murray Peterson" wrote in ...
"Jeff Findley" wrote :
I searched the web for the pinout of this, but came up with nothing.

You can't have been searching all that much. Go to google, and search for
"ipod pinout" -- first link that comes up has exactly what you want:
http://pinouts.ru/Devices/ipod_pinout.shtml

That is the 30-pin connector found on the larger iPod
models. There is not enought space on the end of a
Shuffle for that connector.

BTW -- it's not USB

I believe the Shuffle has only a conventional USB connection.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Jeff Findley" wrote ...
Yesterday I bought a few iPod shuffle accessory packs at Radio Shack for
$3 each. In them, among other things, is an iPod Shuffle dock. Of course
I had to rip it apart to see what's inside.

Upon liberation of the circuit board, I found that the iPod shuffle dock
has a slightly non-standard USB A jack on it. It's got the normal 4 pins
for USB, but it's also got five very thin pins on either end and between
the normal USB pins. If you also count the shield, which is wired
separately on this unit, that's 10 pins.

Are you *sure* those are separate pins, or are they
just the gounding/griping part of the connector shell?

I can't see any evidence that the Shuffle has anything
more than just conventional USB.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Murray Peterson Murray Peterson is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in
:

That is the 30-pin connector found on the larger iPod
models. There is not enought space on the end of a
Shuffle for that connector.

Oops -- my mistake. I missed the "shuffle" part of the post.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley Jeff Findley is offline

"Murray Peterson" wrote in message
"Jeff Findley" wrote in
:

I searched the web for the pinout of this, but came up with nothing.

You can't have been searching all that much. Go to google, and search for
"ipod pinout" -- first link that comes up has exactly what you want:
http://pinouts.ru/Devices/ipod_pinout.shtml

That page is wrong. This is not the connector on the bottom of the iPod
shuffle. It is, however, the connector on the bottom of my 30 GB iPod Video
(fifth generation).

BTW -- it's not USB

The connector on the iPod shuffle is USB compatible. You can plug it
directly into the USB port on a PC. But, there are extra connections, as I
described in my posting, which are used for other things, like audio output.
But there are a couple of pins I can't figure out by looking at the board of
the iPod shuffle docking station I took apart.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley Jeff Findley is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Jeff Findley" wrote ...
Yesterday I bought a few iPod shuffle accessory packs at Radio Shack for
$3 each. In them, among other things, is an iPod Shuffle dock. Of
course I had to rip it apart to see what's inside.

Upon liberation of the circuit board, I found that the iPod shuffle dock
has a slightly non-standard USB A jack on it. It's got the normal 4 pins
for USB, but it's also got five very thin pins on either end and between
the normal USB pins. If you also count the shield, which is wired
separately on this unit, that's 10 pins.

Are you *sure* those are separate pins, or are they
just the gounding/griping part of the connector shell?

I can't see any evidence that the Shuffle has anything
more than just conventional USB.

Yes, I'm sure. Three of the pins tie directly to a line level/headphone
output jack on the iPod Shuffle docking station I took apart. Also, there
are extra pins on the iPod Shuffle battery pack I took apart.

Like I said, I don't own an iPod Shuffle, just these accessory packs I
bought at Radio Shack. Naturally, the first thing I did was take them
apart.

After more web searching, I turned up this:

http://www.ipoditude.com/archives/20...n_features.php

It still doesn't have a complete pinout. If I owned an iPod Shuffle, I'd
finish this:

Radio Shack iPod dock connector pinout
These are the pin numbers on the circuit board, not the USB like plug on the
docking station.
From inspection of circuit board, and cross referencing that to the USB
standard, I've found the following:

1. ????
2. USB +5VDC
3. ????
4. USB Data -
5. To Audio pin 1 - Audio ground - (shield)
6. USB Data +
7. To Audio pin 3 - Audio left + (tip)
8. USB Ground
9. To Audio pin 2 - Audio right + (middle)
10. USB Plug Shield

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Jeff Findley Jeff Findley is offline

I'm not getting any useful response from this posting, so I'm cross posting
it to a wider audience in the hopes that someone else knows the answer.

And no, the iPod shuffle certainly does not have the same connector as other
iPods, despite some Russian pinout website that says it does. :-P