Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default 16" discs - need player

"isw" wrote in message
You should read what I wrote, but at least you are now admitting you are

NOT
checking the phono *pre-amp* then, and were thus incorrect in saying so.

No such thing. I'm saying to use the test record as a source instead of
a signal generator and "inverse RIAA network", and adjust the response
of the phono preamp as needed for "flat" output. That gives you as close
as you're going to get to what was on the master tape. One of the things
you learn when you try that is that it's just about impossible.

As I said, you are measuring the test record/turntable/cartridge/pre-amp
response, *NOT* just the pre-amp response as you originally stated.
This is what you were apparently after however, but you didn't write that.
Also it is *not* "just about impossible" for those with the right equipment
and test procedure.

As for *actually* measuring a phono pre-amp response, I never use inverse
RIAA. That can simply be subtracted mathematically in software.
However if you do use inverse RIAA, then it is still easy to measure the
response of that network alone, and compensate for any of it's errors.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
isw isw is offline

In article ,
"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:

"isw" wrote in message
You should read what I wrote, but at least you are now admitting you are

NOT
checking the phono *pre-amp* then, and were thus incorrect in saying so.

No such thing. I'm saying to use the test record as a source instead of
a signal generator and "inverse RIAA network", and adjust the response
of the phono preamp as needed for "flat" output. That gives you as close
as you're going to get to what was on the master tape. One of the things
you learn when you try that is that it's just about impossible.

As I said, you are measuring the test record/turntable/cartridge/pre-amp
response, *NOT* just the pre-amp response as you originally stated.

What I said was that you *adjusted* the preamp to get the desired system
response. And *of course* you're measuring the response from the disk
through the preamp; that's the whole point.

As for *actually* measuring a phono pre-amp response, I never use inverse
RIAA. That can simply be subtracted mathematically in software.
However if you do use inverse RIAA, then it is still easy to measure the
response of that network alone, and compensate for any of it's errors.

And you still have not compensated for any of the attributes of the
disk/stylus/cartridge part of the signal path.

isw
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"isw" wrote in message
As I said, you are measuring the test record/turntable/cartridge/pre-amp
response, *NOT* just the pre-amp response as you originally stated.

What I said was that you *adjusted* the preamp to get the desired system
response. And *of course* you're measuring the response from the disk
through the preamp; that's the whole point.

Lets see, here's a copy and paste of what you actually said, and which I
replied to.

"Have you ever tried to check a phono preamp for "RIAA accuracy" using a
professional test record? I have. It's almost impossible."

And as I keep saying, you are *NOT* just checking the phono pre-amp the way
you describe!!!!!!
It is also wrong to claim it is "nearly" impossible to measure the test
record/turntable/cartridge/pre-amp response if you have the right tools and
methodology.
Clearly you don't.

MrT.