Michael McKelvy

Default Speakers testing

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 18 Dec 2003 09:57:24 -0800, (Svante)
wrote:

"Tony Pearce" wrote in message

. au...

You still miss the point I was making. The tweeter frequencies can be

easily
measured using MLS gating systems. The problem is with multi - woofer
systems eg. D'Appolito designs commonly available these days. Near

field
measurements are made on one woofer, then MLS measurements are made for

high
frequencies. If the room height is small as it usually is, then errors

will
occur when combining near field measurements at frequencies lower than

can
be gated.

Hmm, in that case I still fail to understand what you mean. Could you
enlighten me on what a D'Appolito design is (I must confess I don't
know).

It's a vertical array with twin bass/mids and a third-order crossover,
and it's noted for a very smooth vertical dispersion pattern around
the crossover frequency. Many such 'WTW' designs are around today, but
not all are true d'Appolito arrays. Many are so-called '2.5 way'
designs, which are conventional single bass/mid designs at the tweeter
crossover point. Invented by audio legend Joe d'Apollito, hence the
name.

A minor correction. Mr. d'Appolito does not claim he invented the MTm or if
you prefer, the WTW design. This was his comment in an interview I read,
I'm sorry, but I can't recall who he said was the first. There is no doubt
that he popularized it. I recall in another article that he now prefers
implementing these designs with 4th order xovers. If I can find the source
of these atrributions I'll post it. Most likely SB.

Are you speaking about a closed box or bass-reflex.

Can be either, as the key element is the crossover region from
bass/mids to tweeter, although most commercial designs seem to be
sealed.

I realise that the time between direct sound and the first reflection
will determine the lowest frequency that can be used when gating an
impulse response, but I fail to see why this would make combination of
this and near-field measurement hard. Do you mean that it would force
us to use the near-field measurement at a too high frequency?

I believe that's what he's getting at.