conrad

Default Connecting both channels of an amp

Is it possible to connect both channels of an amp separtely to a dual
voice coil subwoofer..what I mean is to connect the left channel to
one coil and the right channel to the other voice coil....the feed
signal will be comming off the LFE output of a home theater receiver?
conrad

The reason for dual voice coil speakers is to give added flexibility
on the loads of the amp..letting one adjust let's say from 4 ohms to 2
ohms..and the same for dual 8 ohms coils you can switch from 8 to
4....but as for connecting each voice coil separatly...I'm not
sure...i know it's an absolute no-no in stereo configuration where
each channel is getting diffrent signal..that is obviuos..

MZ

The reason for dual voice coil speakers is to give added flexibility
on the loads of the amp..letting one adjust let's say from 4 ohms to 2
ohms..and the same for dual 8 ohms coils you can switch from 8 to
4....but as for connecting each voice coil separatly...I'm not
sure...i know it's an absolute no-no in stereo configuration where
each channel is getting diffrent signal..that is obviuos..

Obvious? I'm not so sure. Doing so could have benefits, if for some reason
you want to sum the channels and don't mind giving up a little efficiency in
the process.

conrad

Wiring the two channels in true stereo configuration where the
material in one channel differs from the material from the other
channel..could destroy your subwoofer...both channels have to have the
same exact signal going through them ....At least thats what I
beleive...does anybody dispute this?

MZ

Wiring the two channels in true stereo configuration where the
material in one channel differs from the material from the other
channel..could destroy your subwoofer...

Care to explain how?