George Gleason

Default Crosstalk in a Mackie 1604VLZ

Dana wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I seem to be getting more bleed through on outputs
than I used to remember with this mixer. I don't use it all that much but
started using it more about a week ago and even with inputs muted etc I am
hearing crosstalk in the other outputs?

It might have always been like this, but I don't really remember it that
way.

Shades of the ribbon cable problem?
Should I operate on her and reseat everything in sight?
Or is a little bleed through normal?

audible crosstalk is not something to put up with regardless of how
normal it is for mackies to do this
just be happy your not getting the rf noise mackie can't seem to live
without
Scott Dorsey

Dana wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I seem to be getting more bleed through on outputs
than I used to remember with this mixer. I don't use it all that much but
started using it more about a week ago and even with inputs muted etc I am
hearing crosstalk in the other outputs?

It might have always been like this, but I don't really remember it that
way.

Shades of the ribbon cable problem?
Should I operate on her and reseat everything in sight?

Sounds like a ground connection issue. Reseat all the ribbon cables,
but also make sure the chassis connections made through the screws to
the case are all clean and solid.

Or is a little bleed through normal?

Not really.
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"George Gleason" wrote in message ...
Dana wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I seem to be getting more bleed through on outputs
than I used to remember with this mixer. I don't use it all that much but
started using it more about a week ago and even with inputs muted etc I am
hearing crosstalk in the other outputs?

It might have always been like this, but I don't really remember it that
way.

Shades of the ribbon cable problem?
Should I operate on her and reseat everything in sight?
Or is a little bleed through normal?

audible crosstalk is not something to put up with regardless of how
normal it is for mackies to do this
just be happy your not getting the rf noise mackie can't seem to live
without

Ya' know, George.... I've been around a heap of Mackie mixers, and I've
never encountered RF difficulties that were attributable to the mixer in
working condition. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe I'm just the odd man out,
but RF has simply never been an issue in my experiences. I honestly
don't recall if crosstalk ever reared it's head or not, but it was certainly
never an 'issue'. You must have bought every defective Mackie shipped
to Oklahoma. ;-)

DM

Geoff Wood

Usual culprit is a 'soft' ground connection in the Molex connector from
power supply to main PCB. Cut the wires off the molex and solder them
directly to the pins or pcb. While you are in there, give any ribbons a
squirt of Caig ProGold.

geoff.

George Gleason

I don't think the rf problem with the mackies was a defect, more like
poor design
george
Scott Dorsey

Dana wrote:

One thing I did have a couple of months ago was the SUB 1+2 not kicking in
until I moved the faders all the way up and then it would kick in and work
fine. It didn't act like a dirty fader, but more like it needed some extra
"juice/signal" to get it to kick in. That problem disappeared though.

That is the typical symptom of a corroded connection or of a leaky
coupling capacitor. It may be a sign that you have a ribbon cable
issue.

George Gleason

But I know how, particularly in the field of live sound, a bad
reputation is really hard to correct. So if you never want to see
another Mackie mixer, I understand. But that doesn't mean they haven't
learned a thing or two about design since their first product.

Mike
you should know many of the most popular companies products have missed
the mark for me in so many ways I don't buy them
including
crest amps
crown amps
anything symetrix
ashley
whirlwind,great product I just can't tolerate the attitude I get from
the sales staff
George