Wayne T

Default musical fidelity tube buffer

I've been seeing great reviews for the Musical Fidelity Tube Buffer for 399.
Has anyone bought this item, if so what do you think of it? Is there
anything to the claims of improved sound and more realism, or is this all
hype?
Stewart Pinkerton

On 18 Dec 2004 03:04:02 GMT, "Wayne T"
wrote:

I've been seeing great reviews for the Musical Fidelity Tube Buffer for 399.
Has anyone bought this item, if so what do you think of it? Is there
anything to the claims of improved sound and more realism, or is this all
hype?

It's all hype. This item is a notorious scam, as it is not a true
buffer, but has a gain of 1dB, not enough for it to sound louder, but
enough for it to sound 'better', with more 'inner detail'.

---MIKE---

I haven't heard the Musical Fidelity unit but I did try the Z-Systems
tube buffer a few years ago. I couldn't hear any difference so I sold
it.

---MIKE---
Kalman Rubinson

wrote:

I've been seeing great reviews for the Musical Fidelity Tube Buffer for 399.
Has anyone bought this item, if so what do you think of it? Is there
anything to the claims of improved sound and more realism, or is this all
hype?

While it can improve a situation in which there is a signal level or
impedance mismatch between the player and the preamp, it can otherwise
only be a filter, removing or emphasizing something, but it cannot add
information.

Kal (who has not tried one)

normanstrong

"Wayne T" wrote in message
I've been seeing great reviews for the Musical Fidelity Tube Buffer

for 399.
Has anyone bought this item, if so what do you think of it? Is

there
anything to the claims of improved sound and more realism, or is

this all
hype?

If it's what I think it is, the MF Tube Buffer is nothing more than a
unity gain circuit that slightly degrades the sound that went into it
without amplifying it. IOW just a device for adding "tube sound" to
an otherwise perfect signal. If this device is properly designed, you
will not be able to tell whether it's in the circuit or not; it will
have no sonic effect. This being the case, my guess is that MF has
purposely designed the buffer to alter the signal slightly so that
it's always possible to tell when it's in-circuit.

Norm Strong
Chung

Wayne T wrote:
I've been seeing great reviews for the Musical Fidelity Tube Buffer for 399.
Has anyone bought this item, if so what do you think of it? Is there
anything to the claims of improved sound and more realism, or is this all
hype?

This device is to be used between the CD player's output and the preamp.
There is no way that it can *improve* the sound, in the accuracy sense.
It can only add noise, distortion, and errors in the frequency response.
If noise, distortion or frequency errors can add more *realism* to you,
then by all means go for an audition.

Ban

Chung wrote:
Wayne T wrote:
I've been seeing great reviews for the Musical Fidelity Tube Buffer
for 399. Has anyone bought this item, if so what do you think of it?
Is there anything to the claims of improved sound and more realism,
or is this all hype?

This device is to be used between the CD player's output and the
preamp. There is no way that it can *improve* the sound, in the
accuracy sense. It can only add noise, distortion, and errors in the
frequency response. If noise, distortion or frequency errors can add
more *realism* to you, then by all means go for an audition.

Must be a Wavac for the poor then.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy