Sala Massimo

Default Troubleshooting: amplifier Musical Fidelity A1

Still many thanks for your help.

About the A1, what can I say?

When I purchased the A1 I was 19 years old, and it seems to me to buy a
"Cadillac" (also for the efforts to save the money!).
It was really a pleasure to listen to it, with Celestion 5 speakers.

Time goes by... I come to the feeling the A1 is a myth:
* I thought it is 20 Watt class A, now I read it is only 2 Watt class A...
It heats like a true class A to tweak the listeners ?

* The volume pot failure is a design failure.

* Some components (example the caps) are not well suited for the high
temperature inside.

* Users report different failures.

* Musical Fidelity feedback is null...

* Do you see http://www.musicalfidelity.com/merchandise.html ?
Watches... pens... ridicolous!
The "keep in touch" page: nothing to send a question, only their way to
cater information from the user.

Now I want to build a Gainclone. If it will sound better than A1 I
understand the business: marketing and psichological stuff. I already think
it for hi-end, but facing this also for the A1 is sad :-(

Going to hi-fi and hi-end, you pay
- sometimes, the handcraft manufacturing
- the high costs of manufacturing low quantities
- the brand
- some excellent materials, but they don't improve sound quality (carved
wood, gold everywhere, shark oil for cdrom, cables more expensive than Nasa
Shuttle ones, abuse of special and expensive electronics parts to obfuscate
customers minds - perhaps the design is weak, and so on...)

Here it is my Murhpy law about hi-fi:
price quality
10 10 % cheap
20 20 % midi
30 30 %
40 40 % mini
50 45 % hi-fi
60 48 % hi-fi
100 50 % hi-end
1000 55 %
10000 60 % madness!
you never reach the perfection, it is all marketing hyphens.

Better for your wallet, more amusing and satisfying is do some DIY project!

ciao, Massimo
ITALY

Trevor Wilson

"Sala Massimo" wrote in message
Still many thanks for your help.

About the A1, what can I say?

When I purchased the A1 I was 19 years old, and it seems to me to buy a
"Cadillac" (also for the efforts to save the money!).
It was really a pleasure to listen to it, with Celestion 5 speakers.

Time goes by... I come to the feeling the A1 is a myth:
* I thought it is 20 Watt class A, now I read it is only 2 Watt class A...
It heats like a true class A to tweak the listeners ?

**The heat sinking on the A1 is improperly oriented, for good heat
dissipation. Any more than 2 or 3 Watts Class A and it will overheat.

* The volume pot failure is a design failure.

* Some components (example the caps) are not well suited for the high
temperature inside.

**OF course. The basic design is stupid.

* Users report different failures.

* Musical Fidelity feedback is null...

**Situation normal. MF are just a bunch of con-men.

* Do you see http://www.musicalfidelity.com/merchandise.html ?
Watches... pens... ridicolous!
The "keep in touch" page: nothing to send a question, only their way to
cater information from the user.

Now I want to build a Gainclone. If it will sound better than A1 I
understand the business: marketing and psichological stuff. I already

think
it for hi-end, but facing this also for the A1 is sad :-(

**The Gaincard is a colossal con. The Gainclone is what it is. An IC power
amp of adequate performance. Like many things on the WWW, it is highly
over-rated.

[...]

**Not with a Gainclone. It is simply not worth the effort.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Sala Massimo

Thanks to all for your help!

I measured the DC voltage accross the pot, at the middle volume: 10 mV on
channel, 28 mV the other!
How to read these values?

The Alps pot is not available in Italy.
I searched "stereo" pots, also third parties, on local shops and surplus.
They haven't.

Perhaps I found the pot at Farnell UK, ALPS RK27111250K (former 0071
50KAX2), Farnell code 697928.
Good news: it is £ 16.33 plus shipping cost to ITALY (about £ 8), because
Farnell Italy doen't sell to end-users... :-(

If anybody can help me to get the pot at a cheaper cost...

---

At a first glance, one of the big power caps (10000 uF 25 V) is strange: its
plastic dome is going yellow (the other three caps have a transparent dome).
Is this a clue of a incoming failure ?

ciao, Massimo
ITALY
(to reply: remove CHIOCCIOLA and PUNTO)