Posted to rec.audio.pro
jeffontheleft jeffontheleft is offline

Default PC Memory problems

I'm running Cubase 5.01 and Reason 4.0 in Rewire mode on XP SP3 with a
Lynx TWO-C, an Intel quadcore and 4 GB of RAM. With Cubase I'm
constantly getting errors and crashes related to memory shortages but
they seem to be totally erratic, having little/nothing to do with what
I'm running in terms of rewire and the number of plug-ins, etc. Also,
eventually and without exception, if I'm using the program long enough
I'll get a C++ runtime error that will cause the whole program to
crash. I'm not sure whether the two are related. This system is
brand new and the PC works normally with other applications. Does
anyone had any useful advice for me vis a vis settings or something
that I can do other than buy a new DAW or OS? I do have a copy of
Vista but I haven't been able to load the Lynx drivers on it without
some sort of error. Thanks
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 12:24:22 -0700 (PDT), jeffontheleft
wrote:

I'm running Cubase 5.01 and Reason 4.0 in Rewire mode on XP SP3 with a
Lynx TWO-C, an Intel quadcore and 4 GB of RAM. With Cubase I'm
constantly getting errors and crashes related to memory shortages but
they seem to be totally erratic, having little/nothing to do with what
I'm running in terms of rewire and the number of plug-ins, etc. Also,
eventually and without exception, if I'm using the program long enough
I'll get a C++ runtime error that will cause the whole program to
crash. I'm not sure whether the two are related. This system is
brand new and the PC works normally with other applications. Does
anyone had any useful advice for me vis a vis settings or something
that I can do other than buy a new DAW or OS? I do have a copy of
Vista but I haven't been able to load the Lynx drivers on it without
some sort of error. Thanks

Is 5.01 the top of that free-upgrade tree?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jwvm@umich.edu is offline

On Apr 19, 3:24*pm, jeffontheleft wrote:
I'm running Cubase 5.01 and Reason 4.0 in Rewire mode on XP SP3 with a
Lynx TWO-C, an Intel quadcore and 4 GB of RAM. *With Cubase I'm
constantly getting errors and crashes related to memory shortages but
they seem to be totally erratic, having little/nothing to do with what
I'm running in terms of rewire and the number of plug-ins, etc.

Are you running out of virtual memory? If so, that does sound like a
leak.

*Also,
eventually and without exception, if I'm using the program long enough
I'll get a C++ runtime error that will cause the whole program to
crash. *I'm not sure whether the two are related. *This system is
brand new and the PC works normally with other applications. *Does
anyone had any useful advice for me vis a vis settings or something
that I can do other than buy a new DAW or OS? *

If only one program is crashing, it probably is buggy code. It could
also be bad memory. You might want to run a memory diagnostic just to
be sure but that is less likely if only one program has a crash. Also,
you might indicate if you are running in 32 or 64 bit mode.

I do have a copy of
Vista but I haven't been able to load the Lynx drivers on it without
some sort of error. *Thanks

Just say no to Vista. There is no reason to use that OS for what you
are doing.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley david gourley is offline

jeffontheleft put forth the notion

:

I'm running Cubase 5.01 and Reason 4.0 in Rewire mode on XP SP3 with a
Lynx TWO-C, an Intel quadcore and 4 GB of RAM. With Cubase I'm
constantly getting errors and crashes related to memory shortages but
they seem to be totally erratic, having little/nothing to do with what
I'm running in terms of rewire and the number of plug-ins, etc. Also,
eventually and without exception, if I'm using the program long enough
I'll get a C++ runtime error that will cause the whole program to crash.
I'm not sure whether the two are related. This system is brand new and
the PC works normally with other applications. Does anyone had any
useful advice for me vis a vis settings or something that I can do other
than buy a new DAW or OS? I do have a copy of Vista but I haven't been
able to load the Lynx drivers on it without some sort of error. Thanks

You may want to go to add/remove programs, uninstall the Visual C++
libraries then reinstall the latest ones.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9b2da534-3e03-
4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en

or

http://tinyurl.com/agtmxb

Personally, I've avoided SP3 like the plague (and Vista). Although I
don't use Cubase, I have had the error with other pgms in the past.

dave
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

david gourley wrote:

Personally, I've avoided SP3 like the plague (and Vista). Although I
don't use Cubase, I have had the error with other pgms in the past.

Whatīs the accused problem(s) with SP3???
Sorry, but I havenīt faced any problems with SP3, that I didnīt have
before - yes, that also applies to DAW software... So, Iīm just curious. SP3
wonīt turn XP to Vista, though. ;-) If it did, I could understand your point
of view.

Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley david gourley is offline

"Phil W" put forth the notion in...news:gsi39d$sop$1
@newsreader2.netcologne.de:

david gourley wrote:

Personally, I've avoided SP3 like the plague (and Vista). Although I
don't use Cubase, I have had the error with other pgms in the past.

Whatīs the accused problem(s) with SP3???
Sorry, but I havenīt faced any problems with SP3, that I didnīt have
before - yes, that also applies to DAW software... So, Iīm just curious.

SP3
wonīt turn XP to Vista, though. ;-) If it did, I could understand your

point
of view.

Phil

Just my own view, and I didn't say anyone else was wrong to run it. The
less I have to install on my system, the happier I am. YMMV !!

All I'm saying is that my system isn't broken, and I don't need SP3 to fix
it.

david
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mr Soul Mr Soul is offline

[...]

Yes - the running out of memory and the C++ runtime error could very
well be related, or they could be separate issues. You should be
working with the Customer Support staff for Cubase on these errors so
that their software engineers can fix these bugs. Don't try to debug
Cubase's problems for them, unless it's easy to do.

Mike
http://www.pcDAW.net
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:

Most of those patches (and the Service Packs which are collections of
patches) fix security holes. I run both my video and audio NLE systems
"off the grid". They are *never* connected to The Internet, so they need
almost none of those patches.

Actually, most of them don't actually fix security holes at all, they just
prevent a particular security exploit from working while leaving the inherent
hole intact. This guarantees the need for more patches in the future!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
Most of those patches (and the Service Packs which are collections of
patches) fix security holes. I run both my video and audio NLE systems
"off the grid". They are *never* connected to The Internet, so they need
almost none of those patches.

Actually, most of them don't actually fix security holes at all, they just
prevent a particular security exploit from working while leaving the
inherent
hole intact. This guarantees the need for more patches in the future!

Whatever the implementation method. They are not needed if your
system doesn't connect to The Internet. One of my systems is still
running Cool Edit on Windows95. It hasn't been "patched" in almost
a decade.

Acoustic memory Mark Pro Audio 0 May 4th 08 02:37 PM
Sampler memory [email protected] Pro Audio 1 December 7th 05 02:33 PM
Memory jog? loop2loop Audio Opinions 1 July 8th 05 11:14 AM
Flash memory recorder without built-in memory. Is there one? Bill P. General 6 February 4th 04 03:52 AM
Flash memory recorder without built-in memory. Is there one? Bill P. Tech 8 January 29th 04 10:57 PM