Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Which Caig Product for a Mackie 1604VLZ (the original VLZ model)

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Were the Pennsylvanians _really_ that great a big band?

Well, they weren't up with Kenton and Goodman, but I'd put them a good
notch above the mushy Glen Miller sound. Certainly in the Woody Herman
league.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch Fletch is offline

On Dec 17, 4:42 am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

wrote:
Thanks Scott!
I was just worried about whatever material the Mackie pots are made of
having problems with the chemicals because I thought I read someplace
about plastic pots vs metal and carbon pots (old stuff) having
different requirements as far as flushing and re-lubing.

Yup, but you probably won't see carbon pots on many new designs today,

Uh ?

What do you think the resistive element on all those Alps, Panasonic, Alpha
etc pots is made of ?

Plastic with embedded carbon. Not pure carbon.

You can get pure carbon pots still; the Type Js are still in the A-B
catalogue and some of the real cheapies from China are carbon element.

Hi, Scott;

Does A-B have a web site? How would I get a catalogue?

--Fletch
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phildo Phildo is offline

wrote in message
Hello all !

I'm in the process of cleaning out the spider webs from a Mackie
1604VLZ mixer and would like to know which Caig product would be most
appropriate for the faders, pots and the ribbon cable connectors.

I didn't realise Caig made sledgehammers or high explosives.

Any model of the former used correctly will suffice or as much as possible
of the latter, preferably shaped for maximum effect when detonated.

Phildo

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] joey1263@gmail.com is offline

On Dec 17, 10:38 am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
D C wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

One of the mixers (maybe the 1202) came in a box labeled "mix music and
martinis", or something like that.
Fred Waring did both.
I didn't know that Fred was so well rounded. Was he from Hamilton Beach?

No, he invented the Waring blender. No joke, he really did.

I figured that. I didn't know he mixed music, though.

He had one of the greatest big bands of all time. He might have been the
greatest ever if Stan Kenton and Benny Goodman hadn't been in the way.

I have a Fred Waring "Campfire Sing Along" music book somewhere around
here.
Stuff like "Little Brown Jug", Give My Regards to Broadway" etc...
My how times have changed!

Just another thanks to all that offered information!
I appreciate it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Fletch wrote:

Does A-B have a web site? How would I get a catalogue?

I don't have web access right now, but Clarostat bought the A-B line
and then they got bought out by Honeywell. But they still sell most
of the A-B items including the Mod Pot line and the old Type J pots.

Try www.clarostat.com and see if that gets you there. Otherwise call
1-800-537-6945, which I have listed on my bulletin board as their number.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] shaqtopz@aol.com is offline

On Dec 16, 3:02*pm, "Tim Padrick" wrote:
"D C" wrote in message

. ..

Mike Rivers wrote:

Mackie's official recommendation for the pots is to just blow out the
dust with compressed air and not use a cleaner. I think they were
afraid that if they didn't specify a brand people might get the greasy
kid stuff, and if they did specify a brand they'd feel responsible for
pots failing (maybe years) after a cleaning.

I remember when their first mixers came out, they made a point of the pots
being sealed, and none of this stuff would be needed. You'd know betterm
of course, since you wrote a lot of their manuals.

I use CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. *Only if the pot is then too dry and rough
do I put a littleDeOxitin it.

I use the D5 spray. It flushes the surface contaimination away and
the deoxIT works wonders on improving the connection. I have had
amazing results from it. One of my CRC products did some dmamge to
som plastics, so I do not use it anymore.
Mike
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

No, he invented the Waring blender. No joke, he really did.

Actually, it was called the Waring Blendor. (He wanted a cute name for
trademark reasons.) It was originally designed to mix drinks (not music),
and was popular enough that, for a few years, blenders were generically
called "waring blenders".

Were the Pennsylvanians _really_ that great a big band?

The Fred Waring singers were good.

Fred Waring sponsored Robert Shaw (of the Robert Shaw Chorale and Atlanta
Symphony Orchestra) early in his career to gain the benefit of his choral
techniques. Shaw is in the handful of top choral innovators of all time
and Waring's voices showed the improvements before Shaw's own groups became
famous.