Posted to rec.audio.high-end
ST ST is offline

Default 100khz beyond human hearing range?

Hi,

My CD player offers filters which changes the playback sound
characteristic. One of the filter for SACD states that "...dampens
frequencies in the digital data stream from the Super Audio CD which
are over the 100kHz to lower the bandwidth.In addition, operations
within the D/A convertor are asymmetrical with priority given to
resolution.". Using test tone at "normal listening" loudness I am deaf
above 14khz frequencies . So theoretically I am not suppose to hear
any difference but I do hear between filtered and unfiltered at
100khz. Why is that?

Regards.
ST

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"ST" wrote in message
Hi,

My CD player offers filters which changes the playback sound
characteristic. One of the filter for SACD states that "...dampens
frequencies in the digital data stream from the Super Audio CD which
are over the 100kHz to lower the bandwidth.In addition, operations
within the D/A convertor are asymmetrical with priority given to
resolution.". Using test tone at "normal listening" loudness I am deaf
above 14khz frequencies . So theoretically I am not suppose to hear
any difference but I do hear between filtered and unfiltered at
100khz. Why is that?

Regards.
ST

A few possible reasons:-
1) Activating the filter changes the level by a small amount, enough to be
noticeable.
2) The filter introduces ripples further down the frequency band which
become audible.
3) The filtering introduces other circuitry which may not be wholly
transparent, although this last is less likely.
4) Unless you have done double-blind testing, it could be you.

I also wonder what does "priority given to resolution" mean. Sounds like
marketing to me.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected][_2_] nmsz@optonline.net[_2_] is offline

On Mar 21, 7:04*am, ST wrote:
Hi,

My CD player offers filters which changes the playback sound
characteristic. One of the filter for SACD states that "...dampens
frequencies in the digital data stream from the Super Audio CD which
are over the 100kHz to lower the bandwidth.In addition, operations
within the D/A convertor are asymmetrical with priority given to
resolution.". Using test tone at "normal listening" loudness I am deaf
above 14khz frequencies . So theoretically I am not suppose to hear
any difference but I do hear between filtered *and unfiltered at
100khz. Why is that?

Insertion of the filter lessens the demands placed upon your
amplification system?

Regards.
ST

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] jwvm@umich.edu is offline

On Mar 21, 7:04*am, ST wrote:
Hi,

My CD player offers filters which changes the playback sound
characteristic. One of the filter for SACD states that "...dampens
frequencies in the digital data stream from the Super Audio CD which
are over the 100kHz to lower the bandwidth.In addition, operations
within the D/A convertor are asymmetrical with priority given to
resolution.". Using test tone at "normal listening" loudness I am deaf
above 14khz frequencies . So theoretically I am not suppose to hear
any difference but I do hear between filtered *and unfiltered at
100khz. Why is that?

Regards.
ST

Perhaps your amplifier is not linear at ultrasonic frequencies and you
are hearing some intermodulation distortion.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"ST" wrote in message

My CD player

Please name it.

offers filters which changes the playback
sound characteristic. One of the filter for SACD states
that "...dampens frequencies in the digital data stream
from the Super Audio CD which are over the 100kHz to
lower the bandwidth.

This is strange since the defined bandwidth limit of DSD (The SACD digital
format) is 100 KHz. Most players are said to have high frequency extensions
that are only in the 80-90 KHz range.

There is a reasonable concern that some other system components used with a
SACD player (such as a SET amplifier) will have poor linearity above 20 KHz.
Complex signals above 20 Khz may intermodulate and produce audible noise and
distortion at frequencies in the normal 20-20 KHz audible range.

In addition, operations within the
D/A convertor are asymmetrical with priority given to
resolution."

Hard to interpret without knowing the larger context.

. Using test tone at "normal listening"
loudness I am deaf above 14khz frequencies .

But nonlinear distortion in your power amplifier can cause complex signals
above 20 KHz to produce spurious responses in the normally audible frequency
range.

So theoretically I am not suppose to hear any difference but
I do hear between filtered and unfiltered at 100khz. Why
is that?

It is possible that the other components in your system have too much
intermodulation distortion. What are they?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
ST ST is offline

To all,

Equipments used to test are CD player - Marantz SA11-S2, Amplifier
either Classe or Yamaha, Speakers either Living Voice or NCA or a
custom made loudspeaker with electrostatic tweeter with frequencies
extended up to 50khz only which is basically a copycat of another well-
known brand with better parts and cabinet with some modifications. All
the combinations produce audible differences.

Regards,
ST
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

ST wrote:
Hi,

My CD player offers filters which changes the playback sound
characteristic. One of the filter for SACD states that "...dampens
frequencies in the digital data stream from the Super Audio CD which
are over the 100kHz to lower the bandwidth.In addition, operations
within the D/A convertor are asymmetrical with priority given to
resolution.".

All SACD players, AFAIK, have either a 50kHz or 100kHz lowpass filter
built in to them.

Using test tone at "normal listening" loudness I am deaf
above 14khz frequencies . So theoretically I am not suppose to hear
any difference but I do hear between filtered and unfiltered at
100khz. Why is that?

Imagination? Bad design? Loudspeakers/amps that distort when fed
ultrasonic content?

--
-S
We have it in our power to begin the world over again - Thomas Paine

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] klausrampelmann@hotmail.com is offline

"Detection threshold for tones above 22 kHz"

To investigate audibility of ultrasounds contained in a complex tone,
psychoacoustic experiments were designed. Human subjects were required
to discriminate stimuli with and without components above 22 kHz. All
subjects distinguished between sounds with and without ultrasounds
only when the stimulus was presented through a single loudspeaker.
When the stimulus was divided into six bands of frequencies and
presented through 6 loudspeakers in order to reduce intermodulation
distortions, no subject could detect any ultrasounds. It was concluded
that addition of ultrasounds might affect sound impression by means of
some non-linear interaction that might occur in the loudspeakers.
Paper Number: 5401 AES Convention: 110 (May 2001)
Authors: Kiryu, Shogo; Ashihara, Kaoru

On 22 mrt, 18:53, Steven Sullivan wrote:
Imagination? Bad design? *Loudspeakers/amps that distort when fed
ultrasonic content?

Santo_ad Santo_ad is offline
Junior Member

Talking

[quote=ST;862987]Hi,

My CD player offers filters which changes the playback sound
characteristic. One of the filter for SACD states that "...dampens
frequencies in the digital data stream from the Super Audio CD which
are over the 100kHz to lower the bandwidth.In addition, operations
within the D/A convertor are asymmetrical with priority given to
resolution.". Using test tone at "normal listening" loudness I am deaf
above 14khz frequencies . So theoretically I am not suppose to hear
any difference but I do hear between filtered and unfiltered at
100khz. Why is that?

Regards.
ST[/QUOTES

Theory say the frequency that we hear is 20hz to 20Khz.That is true, but remember they're no wall to block them. So the freq above and below that bandwidth still affect during the audio playback.Just remember too usually there are some filter which can caused many varian during noise shaping.And that is what we hear and can make our sound system diffrent than others

Are Human Beings Alike Or Different? BretLudwig Audio Opinions 0 May 13th 08 12:45 PM
Isolating Human Voices (?) tbl Tech 4 July 27th 05 04:49 PM
Protein Key to Human Hearing Discovered Kurt Albershardt Pro Audio 11 October 18th 04 12:39 AM
Human hearing is asymmetric by design Chris Rossi Pro Audio 0 September 14th 04 09:06 PM
Human hearing is asymmetric by design Chris Rossi Pro Audio 0 September 14th 04 09:06 PM