Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Wharfedale Crossover Circuit Puzzle

Peter Larsen wrote:

This requieres that you understand it, painting by numbers alone doesn't do
that. However we have loudspeaker items BASS, MID and TREBLE. We have
cross-over components L1, L2, C1, C2. As suggested by Swanny that seems to
suggest a 1'st order three way. If you want to cure the patient, the
loudspeaker box, from recurring failure you need to do something more
drastic than getting the old cross-over working again. Transform it into a
LO, HI electonic x-over with HI containing MID and TREBLE and a _suitable_
cross-over, ie. 6/12, 12/12 or 12/18 and it starts looking like a sane
concept.

I never looked inside a W-90. However, the W-70 had the midrange run
full range, and first order filters on the woofer and tweeter. The
crossover points were sadly obvious in spite of the wide filters.

Note that the original controls on the W-90 may have used L-pads instead
of pots, especially if they did a second-order filter.

W-90 manuals should be out there, there were certainly enough of them
made although I don't think they arrived on these shores much.