MINe 109

Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

JA has an ax to grind and turf to protect. That he would
contest the findings and designs of Roy Allison exhibits
more hubris than I can calculate.

What findings?

I asked Allison about the comments made by JA regarding
having horizontally located drivers on panels angled away
from directly ahead. (Spacing them this way would simulate
what we also get with panel systems having drivers that are
both tall and wide.) According to JA, there would be
interference effects similar to what we would get with two
drivers placed side by side on a single panel, limiting
their ability to disperse widely. I responded that having
them on angled panels at 90 degrees from each other creates
a whole new ball game.

No, I was referring to the driver issue to which John Stone replied.

However, why let me do the explaining? Here is the word from
Allison himself:

"At frequencies above about a half wavelength a baffle
effectively limits radiation to a maximum angle of 90
degrees around a driver mounted symmetrically in its
smallest dimension -- in other words, to 2 pi steradians.
For the two woofers in a Model One or IC-20 this doesn't
apply, but the distance between the woofers isn't great
enough for cancellation to occur within their range. The
tweeter radiation can't go around a right-angle corner at
all, and for the mids there is the slight beginning of
interference at the bottom of their range -- but the
crossover and the mid's inherent Q value are designed to
compensate for that minor effect."

End of his comment. Enjoy your speakers.

Measurements, please.

Stephen
MINe 109

Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

Yeah. Incidentally, I profiled JJ, too in the Encyclopedia,
even though I disagree with him about the impact of
crossover frequencies between the 40 and 90 Hz range. I
simply cannot see the big deal. The location of the
satellites have a much more profound impact on the perceived
sense of bass spaciousness than the use of dual subs or
ultra-low crossover points.

Him, expert. You, not. For someone preaching about theoretical limits of
hifi, you're incurious about the real thing.

Very often, audio experts are trying to make an audio system
do something that is fine for "interesting" hi-fi, but not
particularly important when it comes to reproducing sound or
simulating live music in a home-listening environment.

That's odd. Reports of jj's special recording and playback system
emphasized an astounding accomplishment in reproducing sound in a
environment that mimicked home-listening.

Heck, JJ and I also went round and round about rock music as
a reference for subjective evaluations. He said it would
work fine and I said that in most instances it would not.
Classical (meaning baroque, classical, romantic era, etc.)
works far better.

Go with what you know. Accept that others know different.

Stephen
MINe 109

Howard Ferstler wrote:

You are speculating about a tweeter design that you
have not even analyzed with the laser device. You just
assume that the driver must have problems or anomalies.

Ahem.
Arny Krueger

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

Yeah. Incidentally, I profiled JJ, too in the Encyclopedia,
even though I disagree with him about the impact of
crossover frequencies between the 40 and 90 Hz range. I
simply cannot see the big deal. The location of the
satellites have a much more profound impact on the perceived
sense of bass spaciousness than the use of dual subs or
ultra-low crossover points.

Him, expert. You, not.

However, one popular definition says that an expert is someone who
knows more and more about less and less.

The point is that JJ's area of most renowned expertise related to
perceptual coders. That's some distance from speakers in general.
However, since joint stereo is an issue with both sat/sub speaker
systems and perceptual coders, there can be technology transfer in
some areas.

For someone preaching about theoretical
limits of hifi, you're incurious about the real thing.

Since I've been doing a lot of recording, I'm tending towards the
opinion that a person who is really interested in pursuing audio
realism needs to do a lot of recording. For example, intensity stereo
is a key concept in understanding many approaches towards realistic
recordings. However, actually doing it and experimenting with in
concert venues cuts through a lot that is fuzzy if all you know about
is the theory.

Very often, audio experts are trying to make an audio system
do something that is fine for "interesting" hi-fi, but not
particularly important when it comes to reproducing sound or
simulating live music in a home-listening environment.

That's odd. Reports of jj's special recording and playback system
emphasized an astounding accomplishment in reproducing sound in a
environment that mimicked home-listening.

It's been long enough since JJ demoed his system to Atkinson, that I
daresay it would have greater visibility now, if it really had a lot
of merit. I can think of two main reasons why it may not have gone
anyplace. Either it really didn't work that well, or it infringed
someone else's patents that were still in force.

Heck, JJ and I also went round and round about rock music as
a reference for subjective evaluations.

This would be one area where Ferstler gets to be wrong.

He said it would
work fine and I said that in most instances it would not.

I don't agree with JJ about anything even though we are both borg.
But, I surely agree with him about this.

Classical (meaning baroque, classical, romantic era, etc.)
works far better.

Yawn.

Arny Krueger

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

I have only mentioned what another rather influential and
knowledgeable individual wrote about it (well, said about it
during a lecture). For all I know, the damned thing hung the
moon. But in principle the system has characteristics that
should make some purists a bit apprehensive.

You haven't said what those are.

The esoteric circuitry that allows for broad-bandwidth
delays between each concentric ring.

It's called 'wire'. You don't think it changes the sound.

Wrong. It's a delay line composed of inductors and capacitors, and
they are each well-known to change the sound.

Howard Ferstler

Arny Krueger wrote:

Howard Ferstler wrote:
John Stone wrote:

On 4/13/05 9:33 PM, in article ,
"Howard Ferstler" wrote:

Note that I said "pulsating hemisphere" and not "pulsating
sphere." If you are going to take jabs at me, at least get
your quotes correct. In any case, there is no "proof," per
se, other than two things:

1. Allison's description of how the driver worked, which
almost by definition proves the point.

Howard, Howard, Howard. What were you thinking when you wrote this?

Just the facts, Arny.

Where is it written in stone that Allison had the foggiest notion of
how the driver *actually* worked?

Well, he actually diagrammed its design and how it was
configured to work in his brochures. He also measured its
output quite exactly.

By the way, where is it written that the obsession you guys
have with tight focus and locked-in sweet spot listening
(and subwoofer performance to below the musical range) has
anything to do with musical sound-reproduction reality?
Indeed, where do we draw the line when beating the old dead
horse of amp and CD player performance. I mean, while the
tweakos go on and on about how amps sound different, there
is the flip side where those who claim they sound the same
continue to do tests to prove a point that does not need
proving. I mean, the rationals have gotten the message and
the crazies would not be swayed by any evidence you come up
with. Why go on and on with worrying about it and coming up
with more comparison techniques on your web site?

If I replaced Allison's name with the name of some foggy-brained
golden ear that is a darling of Stereophile like say Ray Kimber, I
think you'd get the point.

Arny, I am going to assume that you never have seen either
Allison's early product brochures (which stand in contrast
to the bunkum we get from most other manufacturers of the
era) or read any of his published papers.

2. Assorted product reviews over the years that lauded the
dispersion qualities of the tweeter.

Howard, Howard, Howard. What were you thinking when you wrote this?

Just the facts, Arny.

Dome tweeters have broad dispersion, especially if they are small -
that's what they do.

But the Allison tweeter disperses wider, well into the range
beyond 45 degrees off axis. One-inch domes start to get
directional above 8 kHz. That is not good, Arny.

Furthermore, who's to say that braod, nearly
hemispherical dispersion is even a good thing?

There are a number of reasons why broad dispersion into the
treble range, or even throughout the midrange, is a good
thing:

1) It allows the designer to keep the critical distance (the
point between the direct and reverberant fields) between the
listener and speaker stabilized. With directional speakers,
this critical distance moves back and forth between the
speakers and listener. Depending upon the frequency, the
sound is sometimes direct-field dominated and sometimes
reverberant-field dominated. With wide-dispersion drivers
the critical distance does not move so much. If a speaker is
going to be directional, it should stay that way over the
midrange and treble frequencies, and keep directionality
under control.

2) It allows the treble frequencies to be as spacious
sounding as the midrange frequencies. With treble beaming,
this characteristic is not there.

3) It allows a speaker to soundstage more effectively in
typical listening rooms. Placement is also not as critical,
as the speaker does not have to be aimed at the listener.

4) Following number three, above, it allows anyone listening
from off-axis locations to get the same spectral balance
from the speaker as those sitting closer to the speaker's
axis.

5) With the midrange being wide dispersing (particularly in
comparison with systems that have largish midrange drivers)
it reduces the radiation-efficiency sag common at and near
the crossover frequency. Yes, certain horn designs overcome
this, but the result is a speaker that spotlights sound
instead of spreading it out along the soundstage.

How does this constitute any proof? It works that way because
Allison says it does?

Agreed. Allison does not know everything there is to know about
speakers. His knowlege is like all knowlege about the real world that
there is - its subject to being improved upon.

Right. But if we are going to improve things, let's at least
head off into the right direction. Most audio buffs are
interested in things that make speakers seem more hi-fi like
than more realistic sounding. They treasure microscopic
detail over soundstaging realism. Well, given their musical
tastes, I suppose soundstaging realism is really not all
that big a deal for them.

I have to assume here that you either:

1) Think that Allison fudged the data.

What data? Show me a polar plot for Allison;s speakers in a form that
meets current professional standards for characterising the
directionality of a speaker for use by professionals.

Well, Allison has been out of business for years. (The "new"
company does not count, since he is not head man.) He did
supply me with some polar curves, but they no doubt would
not suit your purposes. He also ran on and off-axis curves
(out to 90 degrees off axis) for the midrange and tweeter
drivers. Those were readily available. According to the
brochure info, "the measurement conditions were sine-wave
input signal applied through the system's crossover network
[remember, I have noted that Allison designed the drivers
and crossover together as a system]. The driver was flush
mounted off center on a baffle one-meter square. A B&K model
4135 microphone 10 inches from the center of the driver was
used, the recorder paper speed was 3 mm per second. The pen
writing speed was 50 mm per second."

I am not sure how standardized these measurements would be
these days, but they are surely more precise than what most
other companies were printing about their system drivers
back in 1980. Actually, did those curves run for the
speakers noted below include descriptions of the microphones
used, recorder paper speed and pen-writing speed?

In case you
don't know what that looks like, here are some examples from some
leading manufacturers:
http://www.electrovoice.com/Electrovoice3/files.nsf/Pages/Zx5-90/$file/Zx5-90_EDS.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/srx700/PDF/JBL.SRX715.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/LSR/PDF/JBL.LSR6328P.pdf

OK, these are pro-grade speakers, designed for monitoring
work and also designed to stress focus, detail, and imaging
over soundstaging realism.

Regarding the information packaging itself, how many
standard consumer-oriented manufacturers put out data like
this? Remember, Allison was marketing towards knowledgeable
audio buffs and not recording engineers. If he had wanted to
market to the pros, he probably would have included still
more data.

Although I could not make out all the info on the graphs
(perhaps I need a better monitor), it appears to me that
polar response out to wide off-axis angles was not a
priority item with any of those speakers. What was a
priority was the ability to project a focussed direct-field
signal to engineers sitting at a control panel. Fine for
adjusting recording parameters, but not too cool in a
home-listening environment, at least not in my opinion.

Actually, I thought one of the JBL Pro units (the one with
the 15-inch woofer) was probably especially unsuitable for
really good sound reproduction in a home-audio environment.
Way, way too directional, as anyone can tell from looking at
the polar curves. Mark Davis, who designed the original dbx
speaker (and also helped to develop Dolby AC-3), used polar
curves like that with his info package for the speaker to
show just what was WRONG with the directional speakers of
that era. And that era was two decades ago. Those speakers
you noted are still stuck in the same rut as the ones Davis
described.

Speakers like that are fine for tight-imaging freaks,
however. The Electro-Voice model seemed no better than the
15-inch JBL unit. Speakers like that are a joke for
home-audio use, as far as I am concerned.

All three systems reflect the current obsession with tight
imaging and a strong direct-field signal and not the ability
of a system to present a blended soundfield in a
home-listening environment.

or

2) Think that Allison does not know what he is doing.

He did what a long, long time ago. Contrary to what seems to be your
beliefs Howard, or those of Cal, speaker technology has advanced in
the past decade or two (in your case) or 4 or 5 (in Cal's case).

Cal? What is this Cal stuff?

Given that I have compared the big Allison models I have on
hand to a number of very fine other designs by Dunlavy,
Waveform, Triad, NHT, and even Polk, I am more confident
than ever that Allison's "old" products can hold their own
with the best now available, in spite of all of those driver
and crossover-related breakthroughs mentioned or implied by
both you and John Stone.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

"George M. Middius" wrote:

Brother Horace the Pecunious intoned:

Brother Horace the Overly Fussy said:

For some people, that last octave or half octave is pretty
important, particularly if they listen in a fairly large
room.

Notably, this is nonsense in the context of chamber music.

Well, I was not referring to chamber music

Your obsession, even monomania, with chamber music is well known. Thus
it is proven that you are a dickless blowhard.

You always seem to be here, Middius.

Get a life.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

I have only mentioned what another rather influential and
knowledgeable individual wrote about it (well, said about it
during a lecture). For all I know, the damned thing hung the
moon. But in principle the system has characteristics that
should make some purists a bit apprehensive.

You haven't said what those are.

The esoteric circuitry that allows for broad-bandwidth
delays between each concentric ring.

It's called 'wire'. You don't think it changes the sound.

Stephen

Pal, you would have to use a LOT of wire to effect a proper
delay line for that concentric-ring design. You would
practically have to make it several miles long.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

What findings?

I asked Allison about the comments made by JA regarding
having horizontally located drivers on panels angled away
from directly ahead. (Spacing them this way would simulate
what we also get with panel systems having drivers that are
both tall and wide.) According to JA, there would be
interference effects similar to what we would get with two
drivers placed side by side on a single panel, limiting
their ability to disperse widely. I responded that having
them on angled panels at 90 degrees from each other creates
a whole new ball game.

No, I was referring to the driver issue to which John Stone replied.

John Stone is a driver salesman. I replied at length to his
commentary elsewhere. Go find it.

However, why let me do the explaining? Here is the word from
Allison himself:

"At frequencies above about a half wavelength a baffle
effectively limits radiation to a maximum angle of 90
degrees around a driver mounted symmetrically in its
smallest dimension -- in other words, to 2 pi steradians.
For the two woofers in a Model One or IC-20 this doesn't
apply, but the distance between the woofers isn't great
enough for cancellation to occur within their range. The
tweeter radiation can't go around a right-angle corner at
all, and for the mids there is the slight beginning of
interference at the bottom of their range -- but the
crossover and the mid's inherent Q value are designed to
compensate for that minor effect."

End of his comment. Enjoy your speakers.

Measurements, please.

Stephen

I'll supply some as soon as you come up with some for your
speakers.

Incidentally, I hit this group every two or three days for
an hour or two and yet when I do you are ALWAYS here, right
on the spot answering my posts. Like Middius, you need to
get out more.

Howard Ferstler
MINe 109

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

I have only mentioned what another rather influential and
knowledgeable individual wrote about it (well, said about it
during a lecture). For all I know, the damned thing hung the
moon. But in principle the system has characteristics that
should make some purists a bit apprehensive.

You haven't said what those are.

The esoteric circuitry that allows for broad-bandwidth
delays between each concentric ring.

It's called 'wire'. You don't think it changes the sound.

Wrong. It's a delay line composed of inductors and capacitors, and
they are each well-known to change the sound.

And a bunch of wire.

Do you think this implementation degrades the sound of Quads? Would call
the circuitry "esoteric"?

Stephen

Howard Ferstler

Arny Krueger wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

Heck, JJ and I also went round and round about rock music as
a reference for subjective evaluations.

This would be one area where Ferstler gets to be wrong.

Not this time. Rock music is recorded to be an end in
itself, mostly (exceptions exist). However, classical music,
at least done right, is recorded to be a simulation of a
live-music event. Just ask any classical-music recording
engineer.

The problem with rock-music freaks who lionize audio gear is
that they need to justify their obsession with state of the
art audio. If rock music could not be used as a reference
when evaluating audio hardware, then the whole idea of
super-duper audio gear for listening to rock music becomes a
waste of time and a joke. Juke boxes do just as well.

It must be tough to be both a rock-music lover (hard to see
how an adult could be this way, but some people persist at
being adolescents well into adulthood) and a hi-fi
enthusiast.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

Arny Krueger wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

I have only mentioned what another rather influential and
knowledgeable individual wrote about it (well, said about it
during a lecture). For all I know, the damned thing hung the
moon. But in principle the system has characteristics that
should make some purists a bit apprehensive.

You haven't said what those are.

The esoteric circuitry that allows for broad-bandwidth
delays between each concentric ring.

It's called 'wire'. You don't think it changes the sound.

Wrong. It's a delay line composed of inductors and capacitors, and
they are each well-known to change the sound.

Finally, some support from you instead of vituperation.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

The esoteric circuitry that allows for broad-bandwidth
delays between each concentric ring.

It's called 'wire'. You don't think it changes the sound.

Wrong. It's a delay line composed of inductors and capacitors, and
they are each well-known to change the sound.

And a bunch of wire.

Do you think this implementation degrades the sound of Quads? Would call
the circuitry "esoteric"?

Introducing intentional, broad-bandwidth delays between
driver elements in a system would have to involve esoteric
circuitry.

Hey, I never said it would not work, or that it would
introduce the kind of distortions that I would find
offensive. However, the use of such hardware has to give
pause to purists such as yourself.

Howard Ferstler
MINe 109

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

Yeah. Incidentally, I profiled JJ, too in the Encyclopedia,
even though I disagree with him about the impact of
crossover frequencies between the 40 and 90 Hz range. I
simply cannot see the big deal. The location of the
satellites have a much more profound impact on the perceived
sense of bass spaciousness than the use of dual subs or
ultra-low crossover points.

Him, expert. You, not.

However, one popular definition says that an expert is someone who
knows more and more about less and less.

Like being an expert on the definition of 'expert'.

The point is that JJ's area of most renowned expertise related to
perceptual coders. That's some distance from speakers in general.
However, since joint stereo is an issue with both sat/sub speaker
systems and perceptual coders, there can be technology transfer in
some areas.

I refer to his recording/playback system: Perceptual Soundfield
Reconstruction.

The relevance to Howard is the necessity of preserving bass
directionality.

For someone preaching about theoretical
limits of hifi, you're incurious about the real thing.

Since I've been doing a lot of recording, I'm tending towards the
opinion that a person who is really interested in pursuing audio
realism needs to do a lot of recording. For example, intensity stereo
is a key concept in understanding many approaches towards realistic
recordings. However, actually doing it and experimenting with in
concert venues cuts through a lot that is fuzzy if all you know about
is the theory.

I've recorded live concerts, but haven't engineered them in the sense of
choosing mics and their positions. So I've experienced live mic feeds
and done editing (novel at the time, but commonplace now).

Very often, audio experts are trying to make an audio system
do something that is fine for "interesting" hi-fi, but not
particularly important when it comes to reproducing sound or
simulating live music in a home-listening environment.

That's odd. Reports of jj's special recording and playback system
emphasized an astounding accomplishment in reproducing sound in a
environment that mimicked home-listening.

It's been long enough since JJ demoed his system to Atkinson, that I
daresay it would have greater visibility now, if it really had a lot
of merit. I can think of two main reasons why it may not have gone
anyplace. Either it really didn't work that well, or it infringed
someone else's patents that were still in force.

http://www.att.com/attlabs/products/portfolio.html

Give it a shot. I'd guess it works, but that it's not suitable for the
normal way of recording pop music.

Heck, JJ and I also went round and round about rock music as
a reference for subjective evaluations.

This would be one area where Ferstler gets to be wrong.

Elevating one's preference can often be wrong.

He said it would
work fine and I said that in most instances it would not.

I don't agree with JJ about anything even though we are both borg.
But, I surely agree with him about this.

Go with what you know.

Classical (meaning baroque, classical, romantic era, etc.)
works far better.

Yawn.

Classical was more useful when more people knew what it sounds like.

Stephen
MINe 109

Howard Ferstler wrote:

Arny Krueger wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

I have only mentioned what another rather influential and
knowledgeable individual wrote about it (well, said about it
during a lecture). For all I know, the damned thing hung the
moon. But in principle the system has characteristics that
should make some purists a bit apprehensive.

You haven't said what those are.

The esoteric circuitry that allows for broad-bandwidth
delays between each concentric ring.

It's called 'wire'. You don't think it changes the sound.

Wrong. It's a delay line composed of inductors and capacitors, and
they are each well-known to change the sound.

Finally, some support from you instead of vituperation.

There's wire, too. Do you think those capacitors and inductors change
the sound for the worse?

Stephen

George M. Middius

Brother Horace the Underappreciated said to the Krooborg:

Finally, some support from you instead of vituperation.

As if there were a difference.....

MINe 109

Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

The esoteric circuitry that allows for broad-bandwidth
delays between each concentric ring.

It's called 'wire'. You don't think it changes the sound.

Wrong. It's a delay line composed of inductors and capacitors, and
they are each well-known to change the sound.

And a bunch of wire.

Do you think this implementation degrades the sound of Quads? Would call
the circuitry "esoteric"?

Introducing intentional, broad-bandwidth delays between
driver elements in a system would have to involve esoteric
circuitry.

Which of these is esoteric?:

wire
capacitors
inductors

Hey, I never said it would not work, or that it would
introduce the kind of distortions that I would find
offensive. However, the use of such hardware has to give
pause to purists such as yourself.

It's about the same as what goes into the crossover of a point-source
conventional speaker.

Stephen
George M. Middius

Brother Horace the Whiney whined:

Brother Horace the Pecunious intoned:

Brother Horace the Overly Fussy said:

For some people, that last octave or half octave is pretty
important, particularly if they listen in a fairly large
room.

Notably, this is nonsense in the context of chamber music.

Well, I was not referring to chamber music

Your obsession, even monomania, with chamber music is well known. Thus
it is proven that you are a dickless blowhard.

You always seem to be here, Middius.

I'll take that as an admission of your abject defeat. Thanks for playing,
and too bad you're impotent.

Howard Ferstler wrote:
MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

[...]

In most instances (recordings) neither are much good but in some
instances(recordings) either will work quite well.

Classical (meaning baroque, classical, romantic era, etc.)
works far better.

Scott Wheeler

MINe 109

Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

What findings?

I asked Allison about the comments made by JA regarding
having horizontally located drivers on panels angled away
from directly ahead. (Spacing them this way would simulate
what we also get with panel systems having drivers that are
both tall and wide.) According to JA, there would be
interference effects similar to what we would get with two
drivers placed side by side on a single panel, limiting
their ability to disperse widely. I responded that having
them on angled panels at 90 degrees from each other creates
a whole new ball game.

No, I was referring to the driver issue to which John Stone replied.

John Stone is a driver salesman. I replied at length to his
commentary elsewhere. Go find it.

You're quick to dismiss experts, aren't you? Wasn't Allison a speaker
salesman?

[...]

I've supplied links to several measurements and referred you to a book
with technical descriptions, diagrams and pictures. Oh, what was that
quote? "I have better things to do...than cater to your requirements at
this time."

Incidentally, I hit this group every two or three days for
an hour or two and yet when I do you are ALWAYS here, right
on the spot answering my posts. Like Middius, you need to
get out more.

Coincidence. I don't think I posted at all Friday and Saturday. You
reply quickly yourself. Why don't you get out?

Stephen

Howard Ferstler wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

Heck, JJ and I also went round and round about rock music as
a reference for subjective evaluations.

This would be one area where Ferstler gets to be wrong.

Not this time.

Yep this time and most of the time.

Rock music is recorded to be an end in
itself, mostly (exceptions exist).

Clearly you don't know much about the subject.

However, classical music,
at least done right, is recorded to be a simulation of a
live-music event. Just ask any classical-music recording
engineer.

So are many rock records.

The problem with rock-music freaks who lionize audio gear is
that they need to justify their obsession with state of the
art audio.

Nonsense. Rock benefits from SOTA playback.

If rock music could not be used as a reference
when evaluating audio hardware, then the whole idea of
super-duper audio gear for listening to rock music becomes a
waste of time and a joke. Juke boxes do just as well.

You are an idiot.

It must be tough to be both a rock-music lover (hard to see
how an adult could be this way, but some people persist at
being adolescents well into adulthood) and a hi-fi
enthusiast.

I'm sure it is hard for a moron such as yourself.

Scott Wheeler

MINe 109

Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

I have only mentioned what another rather influential and
knowledgeable individual wrote about it (well, said about it
during a lecture). For all I know, the damned thing hung the
moon. But in principle the system has characteristics that
should make some purists a bit apprehensive.

You haven't said what those are.

The esoteric circuitry that allows for broad-bandwidth
delays between each concentric ring.

It's called 'wire'. You don't think it changes the sound.

Stephen

Pal, you would have to use a LOT of wire to effect a proper
delay line for that concentric-ring design. You would
practically have to make it several miles long.

At last! Yes, Quad use a LOT of wire, plus some phase tricks.

http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeak...16/index6.html

"These rings were fed by delay lines (employing some 11 miles of wire!)
which allowed the flat diaphragm to radiate the sound first at the
center and last at the periphery, as if it were a radiating sphere--the
ideal shape for approximating sound emanating from a point source with
an apparent location 12" behind the panels. The single element in the
new Quad also meant the elimination of a venetian-blind, treble-beaming
effect found in speakers with multiple panels. This design meant
near-perfect phase coherency, as shown by Quad's show-stopper demos in
which two squarewaves, out of phase with each other, are fed to two Quad
speakers. A microphone placed between the speakers shows that the two
signals cancel out completely, suggesting very low distortion in the
speakers."

Just the thing if you need to cancel a squarewave.

Stephen
George M. Middius

MINe 109 said to the Feckless Ferstlerian:

You reply quickly yourself. Why don't you get out?

Harold is afraid of the dark, as you well know.

Howard Ferstler wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:

Howard Ferstler wrote:
John Stone wrote:

On 4/13/05 9:33 PM, in article ,
"Howard Ferstler" wrote:

[...]

In most books and papers about room acoustics. You really should just
break down and buy a used pair of Bose 901s and be done with it.

Indeed, where do we draw the line when beating the old dead
horse of amp and CD player performance.

It would seem somewhere well after 20 years for dorks like you.

I mean, while the
tweakos go on and on about how amps sound different, there
is the flip side where those who claim they sound the same
continue to do tests to prove a point that does not need
proving.

Tests? Like the fraudulant one you published?

I mean, the rationals have gotten the message and
the crazies would not be swayed by any evidence you come up
with.

Yeah call me crazy for not finding a fraudulant test unpersuasive.

Why go on and on with worrying about it and coming up
with more comparison techniques on your web site?

Why do you keep coming back to RAO for helpings of humble pie and crow?

[...]

That's funny. Think about it.

They treasure microscopic
detail over soundstaging realism.

Sorry your speakers are so opaque. Resolution and good soundstaging do
not have to be an either/or proposition.

Well, given their musical
tastes, I suppose soundstaging realism is really not all
that big a deal for them.

You do like to make things up about people who blow the lid off of your
religion.

I have to assume here that you either:

1) Think that Allison fudged the data.

What data? Show me a polar plot for Allison;s speakers in a form

that
meets current professional standards for characterising the
directionality of a speaker for use by professionals.

Well, Allison has been out of business for years.

Surprise surprise.

[...]

IOW they are designed to do a better job of recreating the sound of
live music.

or

2) Think that Allison does not know what he is doing.

He did what a long, long time ago. Contrary to what seems to be

your
beliefs Howard, or those of Cal, speaker technology has advanced in
the past decade or two (in your case) or 4 or 5 (in Cal's case).

Cal? What is this Cal stuff?

Given that I have compared the big Allison models I have on
hand to a number of very fine other designs by Dunlavy,
Waveform, Triad, NHT, and even Polk, I am more confident
than ever that Allison's "old" products can hold their own
with the best now available, in spite of all of those driver
and crossover-related breakthroughs mentioned or implied by
both you and John Stone.

Given your opinion of those crappy Allisons in comparison to real high
end speakers like the Dunlavys I am more confident than ever that you
are quite deaf, dumb and blind.

Scott Wheeler

Clyde Slick

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message

Which audio world would that be? Yours or the real one?

The one that knows what live music should sound like.

In other words, the one in which you rarely inhabit

Arny Krueger

Howard Ferstler wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

I have only mentioned what another rather influential and
knowledgeable individual wrote about it (well, said about it
during a lecture). For all I know, the damned thing hung the
moon. But in principle the system has characteristics that
should make some purists a bit apprehensive.

You haven't said what those are.

The esoteric circuitry that allows for broad-bandwidth
delays between each concentric ring.

It's called 'wire'. You don't think it changes the sound.

Wrong. It's a delay line composed of inductors and capacitors, and
they are each well-known to change the sound.

Finally, some support from you instead of vituperation.

It helps when you are correct about things, Howard.

Howard, I was very polite with you about your errors in those other
posts. If you want to see vituperation, look at the corresponding
posts from that well-known technical ignoramous, Scott Wheeler.

Arny Krueger

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

I have only mentioned what another rather influential and
knowledgeable individual wrote about it (well, said about it
during a lecture). For all I know, the damned thing hung the
moon. But in principle the system has characteristics that
should make some purists a bit apprehensive.

You haven't said what those are.

The esoteric circuitry that allows for broad-bandwidth
delays between each concentric ring.

It's called 'wire'. You don't think it changes the sound.

Wrong. It's a delay line composed of inductors and capacitors, and
they are each well-known to change the sound.

And a bunch of wire.

Spoken like someone who has no idea of proper electronic terminology.
These particular bunches of wire are the components of a delay line.

http://user.tninet.se/~vhw129w/mt_au...n/quadpage.htm

"An ingenious arrangement of concentric electrodes fed by a sequential
delay line produces a sound pressure pattern that is an exact replica
of that from an ideal source placed 30cm behind the plane of the
diaphragm."

http://www.quadesl.org/Hard_Core/ESL...3_history.html

"So, finally, what is new about all this? Really, it is a lot of old
ideas fitted together. Kellogg in 1929 proposed the connection of a
series of electrostatic elements by inductors as a delay line. His
idea was to improve efficiency and reduce the power requirement from
amplifiers. Shorter of the BBC took out a patent in 1941 describing
the connection of a series of annular rings using resistors and
Janszen, in 1953, suggested variations on the same theme.

"In effect therefore, all I have done is to collect these ideas and
add a little work which says that if you can make the device
acoustically transparent, then the performance can be predicted. We
think this is very important since it enables correction to the
performance to be made very easily and after simple laboratory
measurements." Peter Walker, June, 1979 AES British Section."

"The work of Donovan Ernest Lea Shorter is particularly interesting.
you may like to take a look at Shorter's Patent (G.B. Pat. 537,931)
diagrams of July 14, 1941, before reading further. OK, so it's
connected to a valve driven circuit. However, you see the basis of the
delay lines in the ESL '63. Shorter was concerned partly in his work
with directivity, and states:

"The present invention provides means for bringing about the necessary
reduction in source dimensions with rising frequency, and is
applicable both to those loudspeakers in which the radiating surface
is divided into mechanically independent sections and to those in
which there is used a single diaphragm having sufficient internal or
external damping to attenuate substantially any transverse wave motion
at high frequencies which may be propagated from one part of its
surface to another."

"The matter of transverse waves upsetting the apple-cart (as it were)
is dealt with in the ESL '63 by gently electrically attenuating the
signal as it propagates outwards from the central node. Directivity
control is, of course, one of the things which Walker was trying to
achieve in the '63, and to a large extent succeeded.

Do you think this implementation degrades the sound of Quads? Would
call the circuitry "esoteric"?

I think that the collection of diaphragms driven by a delay line are
one of the things that makes a Quad 63 (and later models as we
recently discussed) what they are.

http://www.quadesl.com/quad_esl63.shtml

"It uses a sectionalized panel approach like the original ESL, but
unlike the Original, all the stator spacings are the same, and the
different audio frequencies are not divided up amongst the different
regions of the speaker. However the speakers is divided into regions
in the form of concentric rings (see diagram). The audio signal is fed
to the concentric rings through a delay line. The signal reaches the
innermost ring first and then progresses to the next outer ring. This
technique makes the flat panel radiate a wave front that is similar in
geometry to a point source located a short distance behind the
speaker."

dave weil

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:54:14 -0400, Howard Ferstler
wrote:

I think that
laser interferometer analysis of cone or dome behavior
probably begins to become a bit obsessive

Cue irony loop...

I'm still chuckling about the charge of serious comb-filtering on the
Quad.
dave weil

wrote:

Which audio world would that be? Yours or the real one?

The one that knows what live music should sound like.

That sort of leaves you out, doesn't it?
dave weil

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:43:32 -0400, Howard Ferstler
wrote:

Dome tweeters have broad dispersion, especially if they are small -
that's what they do.

But the Allison tweeter disperses wider, well into the range
beyond 45 degrees off axis. One-inch domes start to get
directional above 8 kHz. That is not good, Arny.

There's a simple test that one can do that doesn't even involve test
equipment. All one has to do is stand right in front of the tweeter
and listen. Then walk around to the side of the speaker. It's pretty
clear that the output stays pretty constant to right at the point
where you cross the plane of the front of the cabinet. It then falls
off dramatically, as you would expect. The difference is quite clear
to more conventional designs, where the output starts audibly dropping
about 60 degrees off axis.

I'll say this about the CD8 - at levels that one would usually
consider medium loud, the speaker as a system starts to distort, so it
isn't a system that one would use to achieve "realistic" levels of
high output music. This wouldn't hold true with the IC-20, which I
have heard stay relatively "clean" at pretty impressive output levels.

Still, the CD-8 stays coherent at levels that satisfies me about 95%
of the time.

Clyde Slick

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Howard, I was very polite with you about your errors in those other
posts. If you want to see vituperation, look at the corresponding
posts from that well-known technical ignoramous, Scott Wheeler.

If irony would wash your mouth with feces.

MINe 109

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

I have only mentioned what another rather influential and
knowledgeable individual wrote about it (well, said about it
during a lecture). For all I know, the damned thing hung the
moon. But in principle the system has characteristics that
should make some purists a bit apprehensive.

You haven't said what those are.

The esoteric circuitry that allows for broad-bandwidth
delays between each concentric ring.

It's called 'wire'. You don't think it changes the sound.

Wrong. It's a delay line composed of inductors and capacitors, and
they are each well-known to change the sound.

And a bunch of wire.

Spoken like someone who has no idea of proper electronic terminology.

The amount of wire is actually important to the design.

These particular bunches of wire are the components of a delay line.

http://user.tninet.se/~vhw129w/mt_au...n/quadpage.htm

"An ingenious arrangement of concentric electrodes fed by a sequential
delay line produces a sound pressure pattern that is an exact replica
of that from an ideal source placed 30cm behind the plane of the
diaphragm."

Thanks for quoting. Howard wouldn't read these links when I posted them
earlier.

http://www.quadesl.org/Hard_Core/ESL...3_history.html

snip

"The matter of transverse waves upsetting the apple-cart (as it were)
is dealt with in the ESL '63 by gently electrically attenuating the
signal as it propagates outwards from the central node. Directivity
control is, of course, one of the things which Walker was trying to
achieve in the '63, and to a large extent succeeded.

There goes Howard's resonance.

Do you think this implementation degrades the sound of Quads? Would
call the circuitry "esoteric"?

I think that the collection of diaphragms driven by a delay line are
one of the things that makes a Quad 63 (and later models as we
recently discussed) what they are.

The concept of identity: well-grasped.

http://www.quadesl.com/quad_esl63.shtml

"It uses a sectionalized panel approach like the original ESL, but
unlike the Original, all the stator spacings are the same, and the
different audio frequencies are not divided up amongst the different
regions of the speaker. However the speakers is divided into regions
in the form of concentric rings (see diagram). The audio signal is fed
to the concentric rings through a delay line. The signal reaches the
innermost ring first and then progresses to the next outer ring. This
technique makes the flat panel radiate a wave front that is similar in
geometry to a point source located a short distance behind the
speaker."

You haven't shown that you understand how wire contributes to the delay
circuit. Even Howard got it eventually.

Stephen
MINe 109

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Howard Ferstler wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

I have only mentioned what another rather influential and
knowledgeable individual wrote about it (well, said about it
during a lecture). For all I know, the damned thing hung the
moon. But in principle the system has characteristics that
should make some purists a bit apprehensive.

You haven't said what those are.

The esoteric circuitry that allows for broad-bandwidth
delays between each concentric ring.

It's called 'wire'. You don't think it changes the sound.

Wrong. It's a delay line composed of inductors and capacitors, and
they are each well-known to change the sound.

Finally, some support from you instead of vituperation.

It helps when you are correct about things, Howard.

Howard figured it out.

Stephen
Arny Krueger

Clyde Slick wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Howard, I was very polite with you about your errors in those other
posts. If you want to see vituperation, look at the corresponding
posts from that well-known technical ignoramous, Scott Wheeler.

If irony would wash your mouth with feces.

Art, I prefer to watch your example rather than following it.

Arny Krueger

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Howard Ferstler wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

I have only mentioned what another rather influential and
knowledgeable individual wrote about it (well, said about it
during a lecture). For all I know, the damned thing hung the
moon. But in principle the system has characteristics that
should make some purists a bit apprehensive.

You haven't said what those are.

The esoteric circuitry that allows for broad-bandwidth
delays between each concentric ring.

It's called 'wire'. You don't think it changes the sound.

Wrong. It's a delay line composed of inductors and capacitors,

and
they are each well-known to change the sound.

Finally, some support from you instead of vituperation.

It helps when you are correct about things, Howard.

Howard figured it out.

Prove it.

MINe 109

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Howard Ferstler wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

[...]

That's the heart of the delay circuit: a LOT of wire.

Stephen
George M. Middius

IKYABWAIBorg tries sparking his feeble brain.

If irony would wash your mouth with feces.

Art, I prefer to watch your example rather than following it.

That's more than 100 IKYABWAIs from you in 2005, Turdy, and it's only
April. I think you've broken your previous record of feebleness. I'm going
to take up a collection so you can get your nanites recharged.

Arny Krueger

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

Howard figured it out.

Prove it.

"Pal, you would have to use a LOT of wire to effect a proper
delay line for that concentric-ring design. You would
practically have to make it several miles long."

Actually, Howard is understating the problem. Light travels about
186,000 miles in a second, which you should know but obviously don't.
A mile of wire causes something like 6 microseconds delay due to its
length. As they say Stephen, do the math. It's actually simple
arithmetic, and even a semi-employed music teacher should be able to
do it. Or does the preschool's office keep up your attendance and
grade books for you, Stephen?

When you're building a speaker, the required delays are up in the
milliseconds range. It takes like 166 miles of wire to create one
millisecond's worth of delay, if you depend on just the delay due to
the length of the wire.

I'd bet money that there isn't even one mile of wire inside an ESL-63,
let alone 166 miles. The whole idea of using a LCR-based delay line
circuit is reducing the amount of wire needed for a delay down to some
reasonble amount. The trade-off is that a LCR delay line has limited
frequency response, and only approximates ideal performance.

That's the heart of the delay circuit: a LOT of wire.

Wrong Stephen. Regrettably, I've long known that you are totally
incorrigable when you are wrong. Especially when you're so ignorant
that you can't understand a proper correction expressed the simplest
possible way.

Stephen, just keep your day job baby-sitting bored children and don't
try to pass yourself off as a circuit designer.

MINe 109

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

Howard figured it out.

Prove it.

"Pal, you would have to use a LOT of wire to effect a proper
delay line for that concentric-ring design. You would
practically have to make it several miles long."

Actually, Howard is understating the problem. Light travels about
186,000 miles in a second, which you should know but obviously don't.
A mile of wire causes something like 6 microseconds delay due to its
length. As they say Stephen, do the math. It's actually simple
arithmetic, and even a semi-employed music teacher should be able to
do it. Or does the preschool's office keep up your attendance and
grade books for you, Stephen?

Ooh, Arny's wearing the grumpy pants!

When you're building a speaker, the required delays are up in the
milliseconds range. It takes like 166 miles of wire to create one
millisecond's worth of delay, if you depend on just the delay due to
the length of the wire.

What if you manipulate phase to increase the apparent length? And we're
not talking about an ordinary box speaker.

I'd bet money that there isn't even one mile of wire inside an ESL-63,
let alone 166 miles. The whole idea of using a LCR-based delay line
circuit is reducing the amount of wire needed for a delay down to some
reasonble amount. The trade-off is that a LCR delay line has limited
frequency response, and only approximates ideal performance.

No, there isn't 166 miles of wire in a Quad, but I'll take that other
bet. Unfortunately, it's illegal to bet money in Texas, or I'd be happy
to increase my positive cash flow.

How does Quad avoid the pitfalls of an LCR delay line?

That's the heart of the delay circuit: a LOT of wire.

Wrong Stephen. Regrettably, I've long known that you are totally
incorrigable when you are wrong. Especially when you're so ignorant
that you can't understand a proper correction expressed the simplest
possible way.

You've never seen a Quad's innards? Didn't one of those pages we cited
have a picture of the electronics?

Stephen, just keep your day job baby-sitting bored children and don't
try to pass yourself off as a circuit designer.

Attacking professions. You must be on shaky ground.

Stephen
John Stone

On 4/17/05 6:54 PM, in article , "Howard
Ferstler" wrote:

Hey Howard, this will be my last post for at least a week. I'm with an
engineer from Norway and we'll be seeing some of those engineer jerks I
mentioned before. Anything you want me to ask Toole? How about Linkwitz? If
this thread is still alive when I get back, I'll post the curves of the
Allison tweeter so others can see what we're talking about.

John Stone wrote:

How does this constitute any proof? It works that way because Allison says
it does?

Well, I am going to assume here that you either:
1) Think that Allison fudged the data.

What data? He had no data to fudge. He had a theory of its operation that he
put in brochures and white papers.

He also measured the output of the tweeter, John, and
included that info in the brochures.

Irrelevant. That's exactly the same thing as saying "it works that way
because it works.
Where's the proof?

Well, let's look at the power curves that Consumer Reports
has run for years. Their reviews consistently put Allison's
lower-priced speakers ahead of most of the competition. Yes,
I know there is more to performance than power curves, but
the fact is that Allison's "dated" tweeter design, not to
mention his work with integrating that tweeter with the
woofer (often an upward-facing unit that helped to keep the
horizontal dispersion uniform over a wide area) allowed him
to keep up with and usually surpass all of those more modern
units you automatically lionize.

Irrelevant. Nobody has argued about the dispersion. Nothing in all this
drivel you have posted so proves anything about the "pulsating hemisphere
theory"

And don't say it has
to work that way because that's the way he designed it. That's a circular
argument.

Baloney. It worked, and continues to work as good as even
the best current designs (when the integral crossover work
is figured in) and better than most. Hey, John, I know you
have a business to protect, so I forgive you.

Against Allison? He's been out of business for years, and never made raw
drivers for anyone else. You forgive me for disagreeing with you? Oh,
Howard, thank you.

When soft dome tweeters were first introduced the white papers at
the time said they had better dispersion than cone diaphragms because the
convex shape pushed the high frequencies outward. But when concave dome
tweeters came out, it was discovered that they had exactly the same
dispersion as convex domes. So much for that theory.

I am not aware that Allison had anything to do with this at
all. Certainly, his driver is different from most other
domes. In any case, Allison has told me that driver shape
does not automatically make a difference, so he is in
agreement with your latest research. Indeed, he once showed
me a curve of a 1-inch cone tweeter (used in the old AR-6
decades ago) that he said radiated as widely and smoothly as
typical dome one inchers. I printed that curve in a book way
back in 1991, by the way.

Finally. Now put that together with the coaxial cone being driven off the
edge of a 1/2" dome and you get the picture

The tweeters still
worked. The explanation was all wrong. What was discovered through physical
observation(laser interferometer) is that the diaphragm completely decouples
from the voice coil at high frequencies, and the tweeters act like ring
radiators. Concave or convex, it made no difference. The dome was
contributing virtually nothing outside a very narrow ring on either side of
the voice coil.

OK, but what we are discussing is the impact of the flexing
surround around that dome. Because it moves radially and is
far larger in relation to dome size than typical other
surrounds, it has an impact on the dispersion. You may
speculate about how it really behaves, but as best I can
tell that is all it is: speculation.

That's right Howard, speculation. On your part and on ours. But ours is
informed and yours isn't. You are speculating based on no knowledge of what
paper does at high frequencies. We are speculating based on what we've seen
paper do at high frequencies in laser tests.
And if the large part of the surround is actually doing anything at the
higher frequencies, radial or otherwise, the impact on the dispersion will
be negative, not positive. Its pure physics. Do the work. Pick up a book.
Yes, we have laser interferometer work, but you have not
measured the Allison tweeter, and so for all you know it
behaves in a way that is unique. It certainly has impressed
some wide-dispersion enthusiasts.

2) Think that Allison does not know what he is doing.

I already said over and over that he was a good designer. But he doesn't
know everything there is to know about drivers.

Hey, John, even he would admit that. So would I. However,
you also do not know everything he knows about drivers.

If you're talking about me, you're right. If you're talking about SEAS, our
body of knowledge on drivers far outstrips his. We've been at it much longer
and have far better tools at our disposal. Our head engineer has studied all
Allison's papers and we have measured that tweeter. So we know what he
knows and a bunch more.

As explained above there are
plenty of complex mechanical systems out there that work, but whose behavior
is not fully understood. And radiating diaphragms exhibit VERY complex
vibrational behavior, much of which is not fully understood-even today.

And in some important ways all of this work with analysis is
overkill. There is a point where going the current state of
the art one better has no meaningful impact.

Ah yes, that famous Howard Ferstler "frozen in time" point of view.

I think that
laser interferometer analysis of cone or dome behavior
probably begins to become a bit obsessive, given what is
possible from even a perfect one-inch standard dome.

You think? What is the relevance of that given that you're operating totally
out of the dark?

I mean,
speakers were able to do live-vs-recording work that was
fantastic way back in the AR-3 era. Yes, that system is
dated in many ways (particularly concerning its rather high
woofer/midrange crossover frequency), but given its success
during those demos (where seasoned audio buffs and
journalists were even impressed) it is hard to believe that
world-shaking improvements have happened since that era.
Better systems, yes, but not as eye opening as you "we make
super-duper driver" freaks might believe.

Are your scared of the dark?

The
notion that any cone behaves like a pure piston is pure fantasy.

It is preposterous for you to imply that Allison believes
that way. A little unfair, too.

Where did I imply that Allison believes that way?

Even a
rigid metal cone will deviate from pistonic behavior at a rather low
frequency. And paper? Forget about it. Even formed as a rigid cone, paper is
very lively.

But if it disperses widely and has low enough distortion, so
what? Are you guys maybe gilding the lily with your more
advanced designs? Well, you do have to sell those drivers.

There's that "adequate" thing again.

This is why driver
design remains part science and part art. The behavior of that Allison
surround will be very complex because it isn't just a paper cone, its a
paper cone that's rigidly fixed at one end.

Actually, it is not rigidly fixed. There is a very thin foam
ring between the surround edge and the mounting plate.
According to Allison, without the ring the driver will ring
somewhat. Good try, though, John.

Doesn't change anything. The paper surround is far less rigid than the foam
ring so the ring will do very little. If the foam is only there to "somewhat
stop ringing" it isn't a key part of the moving system. Good try Howard. And
you better hope the effects of that foam gasket are subtle, because that 25
year old foam is gonna be hard and brittle. Just like all those surrounds
you've had to replace in your woofers. Could the Allison magic be fading
away before your very eyes?

John, it has the dispersion of a 1/2 incher, but with
greater output capability.

You use such imprecise terms that its hard to understand what you're saying.

Does this mean that your commentary here has the precision
of mathematical equations? Give me a break.

No, but I choose my words carefully and you don't.

"Greater" how? Its no greater than other 1/2incher above 5khz, so I'm
assuming you're referring to its output below 5K. Yes, that's explained by
the large surround. But at those frequencies, dispersion is not an issue.

But output is. The surround allows the driver to disperse
like a 1/2 incher and still have considerably more output
capability below 5 kHz. Frankly, given what Hirsch measured
with that budget Allison speaker I mentioned in another
post, it has greater output above 5 kHz, as well.

You're speculating again.

Nothing mysterious about that.

Howard, you're the one that's adding "mystery" to the tweeter by claiming
that some kind of supposed radial component emanating off the surround
magically contributes to the extreme high frequency dispersion.

Why should it be magic? One look at the surround design and
one has to see that it is going to have an effect that is
related to the radial movement.

There's that precision again. "It is going to have an effect" How is the
effect achieved. That's been the question since day one. And you still
haven't answered it.

I'm the one
saying that the simple explanation is that above 5khz the radiation is off
the dome.

Conjecture. Did your people do a laser interferometer
measurement? If not, then you are speculating. Incidentally,
the dome is not just hanging out there. Behind it is a fiber
damping material.

If its conjecture, then what is the dome there for?

The design mandates that kind of performance.

If you had a clue you would have said "the performance mandates that kind of
design" Saying the opposite is meaningless. And if this is indeed what you
are saying, then you have a poor understanding of the connection between
dispersion and the size of the radiating surface. Where the high frequency
output(5kHz and up)is concerned, the "performance" mandates that it can
only work the way *I* describe it.

Baloney. You are speculating about a tweeter design that you
have not even analyzed with the laser device. You just
assume that the driver must have problems or anomalies.

We know it has problems and anomalies from the measurements. And you just
said laser devices are obsessive. Which is it?

Radiating area and dispersion are
directly tied together. You can extrapolate one from the other.

Only if they behave as a piston, as YOU have noted. However,
its flaws notwithstanding, even you will have to admit that
the Allison tweeter does not radiate as a piston.

No tweeter behaves as a piston.

Do you even
understand why a larger driver has narrower dispersion? Do you understand
WHY dispersion narrows as frequencies increase? Care to explain it?

You are basically saying that if I do not know the physics
involved I am unqualified to say anything about the concept.

Exactly. Because if you understood even a little, you wouldn't be making the
claims you are making.

Do YOU know the reasons, John, or will you just parrot what
some of your designers have told you?

It's Speakers 101, Howard. I have way more formal technical background than
you do. And since you don't understand, then all YOU are doing is parroting
somebody else's writing. No?

And, if we accept that this so called "radial movement" in the cone gets
around this and enhances the hf dispersion, please explain how.

So, you are basically saying that a pulsating hemisphere
movement will not disperse any better than a moving
diaphragm of the same diameter?

Not mounted the way the tweeters are in your speakers, no.

Well, that certainly takes
care of the Martin-Logan vs other flat-panel design
argument. Perhaps you should go debate the issue with
Atkinson.

There's no difference in the diaphragm behavior between a flat electrostatic
panel and a curved electrostatic panel. They're both fixed at the edges, so
the material flexes in either case. As for the dispersion differences, think
angled baffles like in you Allisons. The curvature of the ML panel simply
angles a portion of the radiation away from the front and to the sides.
Measure an ML from the rear and you'll get exactly the opposite effect. If
pulsation was the reason, the dispersion would be wider on both sides. In
reality, the dispersion on the rear is narrower than a flat panel.

For the moment, let's assume that the tweeter works as
Allison indicated and that the dome moves nicely back and
forth and the surround moves radially. Will that driver's
surround contribute to the dispersion qualities above 5 kHz?
I say that it will. You say that it will not, but as best I
can tell you say it not because of the laws of physics
regarding radial movement, but because the design really
does not work as intended.

No, it IS because of the laws of physics. If you understood what I was
talking about you would agree immediately.

It is, in essence, a mechanically coupled coaxial
driver with a cone for "low" frequencies and a dome for high frequencies.

You are speculating. You have no solid proof that this
theory of your works. You just assume that the driver
behaves this way. You speculate even more than I do, John.

I understand how drivers work. Turn the Allison diaphragm around and it is a
cone tweeter with a rigid (mostly) termination. Those drivers are well
understood.

Heck, Thiel did exactly the same thing-though far more refined-with the
coaxial mid/tweet in his 2.3 and 2.4 systems.

Far more refined? Looks like we are speculating again, John.

I've discussed it at length with Jim Thiel. He's had many years and much
better tools to refine the concept. That's what happens in the real world.

Being a bit petty with that comment, too. Well, you probably
are a bit bitter towards me about now. Don't pick on Allison
because you do not like me, John.

Howard, you still can't figure out that I have absolutely nothing but the
greatest respect for Roy Allison.

He coupled a 3.5"cone off of a
1" dome tweeter. But by using a soft coupling between the two he was able to
better contour the mechanical response of the cone to be flat, instead of
humped.

Actually, the Allison midrange driver (which I assume you
have never analyzed) couples a 1.5 inch dome to a surround
that allows for an overall diameter of 3.5 inches. This
driver was designed back in 1975.

The size is meaningless. The refinement is in the execution of the
principle.

And he used an actual outer suspension with an aluminum cone instead
of the hard fixing used by Allison.

See my comment above about the thin foam ring located
between the outer edge of the surround and the mounting
plate on the tweeter. And you accuse ME of speculating! I
thought you guys had analyzed that tweeter. Looks like you
were all speculating a bit.

Okay, a skinny piece of foam squeezed between a cone and a plate is a
suspension. If it was, then why does the driver still work without it except
for a little more "ringing"?
This gave him much better low end output
(the cone could move). He uses this driver between 400 and 20khz
And guess what? He got the output and dispersion of a 1" dome with the low
frequency extension of a 3.5" cone. Surprise,Surprise!!

Good for him. Given that the Allison tweeter (and similar
Allison midrange) were designed back in 1975, I think that
Allison gets the prize for the first idea. Actually, the
tweeter in the old Kloss Advent speaker was also kind of
this way, although the shape of the thing was quite
different from the Allison tweeter. As best I can tell, the
Thiel tweeter is also shaped quite differently, and maybe
somewhat like the Kloss design.

Nope. It's just a dome. Don't you have any curiosity at all? It's all there
with a click of your mouse.

How does it compare with the best
3/4-inch drivers made by your company, particularly above 8
kHz and beyond 60 degrees off axis?

Howard, tweeters are not all about output above 8kHz beyond 60 degrees off
axis. If that was so, then they would only be used and measured that way.

John, "used and measured that way" by whom?

By everyone, Howard. There are agreed standards for how drivers are
measured. The starting point is always anechoic on axis response.

Which has about zero to do with how the tweeter operates in
a real-world listening situation.

You
establish sensitivity and response from this basis,

Not quite. After all, two tweeters, one with wide dispersion
and one with narrower dispersion could have identical
sensitivities with a one-meter, on-axis anechoic measurement
and yet in a real-world listening room where wide off-axis
energy is obviously going to be audible, the wide-dispersion
tweeter would be effectively louder.

It isn't open for disagreement. We're talking about measurements. Stop
changing the subject. There is no arguing how drivers are measured.

and all your other
measurements are referenced to these on axis measurements. Like it or not,
that's how its done.

Well, given your take on this and my comments above, it
looks like they need to widen their horizons a bit.

Bull****. The effect of wider dispersion will show up in the polar plots,
which are done on all tweeters.

The fact is that
a system with a tweeter arrangement that disperses smoothly
and strongly beyond 60 degrees off axis at frequencies above
8 kHz (or even above 4 or 5 kHz) is going to have a much
more spacious sound than one that is only smooth and flat
out to 45 or 60 degrees.

First off, your Allison tweeters are no different in dispersion capability
at 6kHz and below than a 1" dome.

I certainly hope so. So what?

So it means that the power response is the same between the 2 at those
frequencies. And those are the frequencies where crossover occurs. To splice
the mid or woof to the tweeter, the sensitivities in that range will have to
match. and this is where the low sensitivity of the Allison comes into
play-and why he has to double or quadruple them to get reasonable overall
output.
Nobody will accept a tweeter with this sensitivity level today.

And at 60 degrees off axis, at 10kHz
they're already 5 dB down compared to 0degrees.

The curves Allison sent to me has it 2 dB down at 60 degrees
at that frequency.

At 15kHz its 8dB.

The curves Allison sent to me has it 5 dB down at that
frequency.

Well, paper is a bitch for tolerances.

Put those tweeters on angled panels, like what we have with
the more upscale Allison models, and at 90 degrees off the
systems are as flat as they are on axis. Of course, I am
being unfair here, because we are discussing drivers and not
systems.

Put our tweeters on angled baffles and the gain is the same. Really Howard,
isn't the angled panel the main contributor to the Allison dispersion? How
audible is a few dB more or less above 10kHz, mostly bounced off the wall,
above 10kHz? You probably couldn't tell the difference given the state of
your hearing.

Both types existed when Allison was in business and customers freely chose
focused over diffuse.

Yep. Hi-fi nuts like tight focus and tight imaging, even
though such characteristics are rare at live concerts at any
location but the front row or the conductor's podium.

Second, modern designers simply don't agree with
Allison's views regarding dispersion in speakers, and don't consider the
tradeoffs created in his designs as acceptable.

Yep. This means that the critical distance between the
direct and reverberant fields is not stabilized with such
designs (changes back and forth in distance from the
speakers as the frequency climbs up the scale), and to my
way of thinking this is a much bigger problem than a lack of
tight imaging and imprecise focus.

To YOUR way of thinking? From someone who doesn't even understand the basic
mechanisms of driver diameter and dispersion? What validity does your view
of "critical distance" bring to this discussion?

You know, jerks like Heyser,
Toole, D'Appolito, Linkwitz, Barton. What you'll never understand is that if
even if these guys had an Allison tweeter available today, they'd reject it
out of hand, for all the reasons I stated before.

Well, what these guys like or liked involves taste.
Remember, it was you who said that speaker design is as much
an art as a science, and my contention is that speaker
performance is as much a product of taste as of science.

Okay, so these guys are just know nothings with an opinion, but you are the
master?

2) Some people like speakers to sound like speakers, rather
than like live ensembles.

Oh please, there's no mistaking your Allisons for a live ensemble.

Says you. How many top-tier Allison models have you listened
to?

Enough of the model 1 to know what it is and to not like it.

My guess is that Allison gets closer than most, at least
with good recordings.

Without any real knowledge you are just guessing

Heck, remember those live-vs-recorded
concerts Villchur held decades ago with AR-3 speakers? And
he was doing that with speakers that are not in the same
class as the Allison models, although Villchur was, like
Allison, more interested in flat power response and wide
dispersion than in tight-imaging and precise instrumental
focus. Looks like Villchur knew what really mattered way
back in the 1960s.

Those live vs recorded things were parlor tricks. Everyone knows in a large
reverberant space, the acoustics of the space will dominate the sound
character.

They
sound like speakers, diffuse radiating speakers. Anyway, aren't you the one
that keeps harping on the fact that 2 speakers can't possibly reproduce the
experience of live music in a room?

Sure, but for reasons unrelated to what we are discussing.

Right. So tell me again how a pair of IC 20's sounds like a live ensemble?

Note that this does not mean that
they are inferior speakers in a sense that matters to
imaging enthusiasts and those who shudder at the idea of
wall reflections intruding into their audio worlds.

They're not inferior in any sense. They're just different from what you
prefer.

Well, my preferences are rather eclectic.

No, just archaic.

Incidentally, one new speaker that has been lauded lately is
that weird looking, upscale B&O job, and one reason it is
being lauded so much is that it disperses so widely and
uniformly.

Actually what people seem to "laud" most about that speaker is the bass,
which self adjusts automatically. The comments about the rest of the range
are only so-so.

Certainly only so-so from those who laud tight imaging and
decry wide dispersion. Yep, taste does indeed play a part.

It actually images pretty well, indicating it has a lot more direct field
radiation than the Allisons.

Have you heard it yourself?

Nope. I did get a commentary from a guy who has heard it and
who also has lauded (in print) the Allison IC-20.

You really have little real world experience in anything, don't you?

I worked 8 yrs for B&O. Despite
the clever design, there's too much technical compromise in those speakers
for the sake of appearance.

Let me guess: the speaker does not use SEAS drivers.

Feel the heat and change the subject. I wasn't even talking about the
drivers. I have no idea who makes the drives. Probably Tonagen. That's their
usual supplier. The compromise is in the enclosure, the closeness of the
microphone when calibrating bass, and some aspects of the "ice power" amps.
I think B&W makes a lot of great speakers too. They don't use SEAS drivers
either.

The one that knows what live music should sound like.

And the last time you actually hear live music was?