Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] mikbob@hotmail.com is offline

Default Sennheiser MKH 816T Question

Greetings all,

A coworker came to me with a question I can't answer. I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.

We have an old Sennheiser MKH 816T shotgun mic in our production cabinet. These mics use the older type of phantom power--12 volt T.

Now, I do know they are not compatible with traditional 48 volt phantom--unless the proper adapter is used. I'm also guessing plugging one into a 48 volt supply may damage the microphone.

Well...without asking anyone first, my coworker says he went ahead and plugged it into a mixer equipped with 48 volt phantom power to test it. Nothing happened.

He then came to me and asked if he might have trashed the mic, by doing this? I've never used a mic like this, so I really have no idea of possible consequences.

We do not currently have the necessary adapter to covert 48 volt phantom to the 12 volt T type supply, so I can't test it, to see if the mic has been damaged.

Anyone here able to comment on the likelihood of the mic being damaged by this? If damage is unlikely, would it be worth ordering the necessary adapter & putting this older mic back into use?

Thanks in advance!

Mike