normanstrong

Default "World-class"

Among the many terms used frequently in discussing audio equipment is
the phrase "world-class." Like so many such terms, it doesn't appear
to have any accepted definition. Can anyone throw some light on just
what it is that makes a component world-class?

Norm Strong

MINe 109

In article _dtQc.231335$JR4.24835@attbi_s54,
"normanstrong" wrote:

Among the many terms used frequently in discussing audio equipment is
the phrase "world-class." Like so many such terms, it doesn't appear
to have any accepted definition. Can anyone throw some light on just
what it is that makes a component world-class?

It means whatever we agree it means.
dave weil

WTF does that mean

Robert Morein

"normanstrong" wrote in message
Among the many terms used frequently in discussing audio equipment is
the phrase "world-class." Like so many such terms, it doesn't appear
to have any accepted definition. Can anyone throw some light on just
what it is that makes a component world-class?

Norm Strong

I think the term became popular when the U.S. car industry tried to compete
abroad. A car which was good enough for foreign markets was dubbed "world
class" by auto journalists. The term must have been used before this in many
other contexts, as in "world class athlete."

But the term gradually shifted to mean excellent quality. In the case of
hifi, it's rather nonsensical, since everything is sold everywhere.

As far as I can see, what little hifi equipment is still made in the U.S.
has this quality, in spades.

Lionel

Subject: "World-class"
From: dave weil

Date: 8/5/2004 8:20 PM Central Daylight Time
On 06 Aug 2004 00:31:29 GMT,

From: dave weil

Date: 8/5/2004 7:16 PM Central Daylight Time
On 05 Aug 2004 22:20:01 GMT,

From: dave weil

Date: 8/5/2004 5:04 PM Central Daylight Time
On 05 Aug 2004 20:44:52 GMT,
(Torresists) wrote:

WTF does that mean

Best weil post in years! ;-)

I don't disagree. It said everything that needed to be said...

I quite agree, dave. As usual, you have *nothing* to say,

Actually, you're wrong, as usual. i spoke volumes.

Congrats on the award dedicated in your name. It's richly deserved (and

you
look so lifelike!) ;-)

Dave's basic tactic is usually very simple, I shoud say infantile.
He *always* starts the discussion with a very false, distorted, wrong
premise.
After that there are 2 options depending on the subject :
1. He is defending his false premises like a pitbull, with the classical
rhetoric weapons he has learnt listening customers conversations while he is
standing near the tables.
2. He tries to bury you under mountains of cultural references, under the
immense knowledge he has accumulated (listening to the client conversation).
Dave Weil is an encyclopedia unfortunatly there is no logical lexical entry.
:-)

dave weil

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:30:37 +0200, in rec.audio.opinion you wrote:

He *always* starts the discussion with a very false, distorted, wrong
premise.

Since I only quoted "torgolfer" in this instance, I'd say that you're
right.

Lionel

Paul Dormer wrote:

"dave weil" emitted :

He *always* starts the discussion with a very false, distorted, wrong
premise.

Since I only quoted "torgolfer" in this instance, I'd say that you're
right.

Whilst "tor b" is 'joining' lionel in making infantile (not you Arny)
comments about the sexual preferences of certain posters on this
forum, note that he swings both ways.

Ooops Paulo you are too fast here I am just making infantile comments
about sexual preferences of the guys who make infantile guessing about
my sexuality.
Note that you have already attempted to such stupid tactic and I have
answered you courteously. A gentleman would confirm that immediatly,
isn't it ? :-)

Class D full range/Class T w/Tripath Ivan Lopez Car Audio 11 August 16th 04 02:28 PM
Class T or Class D amp? mike_patton Car Audio 15 July 28th 04 05:37 AM
Class D vs. Class AB Levi Kudrna Car Audio 3 May 15th 04 06:09 AM
Pyjamamama Sandman Audio Opinions 14 December 16th 03 04:44 AM
Class D vs Class A/B amps Sam Carleton Car Audio 14 July 25th 03 05:34 AM