Posted to rec.audio.car
justin time

Default Fiberglass speaker construction

I have a lot of speakers to install in my car. Unfortunately the engine's
not that strong and building MDF speaker cabinets for all of them would
probably weigh at least 300 pounds or more. I'm going for 10 6x9's, 2 10''
subs and 2 15'' subs. I need to find a suitable material for box
construction besides MDF, and fiberglass appealed to me. I bought 200 lbs
of fiberglass mat, and that should be more than enough.

My question is how well will fiberglass cabinets sound? I'm planning on
making a minimal frame out of wood, as well as the mounting hole from MDF,
covering all of this with canvas, applying hardener, and then applying the
fiberglass mat and finishing with a light coat of bondo. Is there something
light that I can fill the frame with that will help out with dampening or
expect better response? Also, how would I go about figuring out what box
volume to shoot for?

thanks a million

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.audio.car
Cyrus

In article ,
justin time wrote:

I have a lot of speakers to install in my car. Unfortunately the engine's
not that strong and building MDF speaker cabinets for all of them would
probably weigh at least 300 pounds or more. I'm going for 10 6x9's, 2 10''
subs and 2 15'' subs.

lol What type of xo's are you runnin?

I need to find a suitable material for box
construction besides MDF, and fiberglass appealed to me. I bought 200 lbs
of fiberglass mat, and that should be more than enough.

My question is how well will fiberglass cabinets sound?

As long as its thick enough, the sound will more depend on volume of the
enclosure rather than material used.

I'm planning on
making a minimal frame out of wood, as well as the mounting hole from MDF,
covering all of this with canvas, applying hardener, and then applying the
fiberglass mat and finishing with a light coat of bondo. Is there something
light that I can fill the frame with that will help out with dampening or
expect better response?

Some use batting, cotton, polyfill, insulation. IMO Stay away from the
pink insulation as the particles can get into VC's.

Also, how would I go about figuring out what box
volume to shoot for?

Depends on drivers, type of enclosure and tuning you're after.

thanks a million

http://www.usenet.com

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Posted to rec.audio.car
justin time

"Austin Becker" wrote in news:KpTJf.807499
$xm3.471141@attbi_s21:

You've got to be ****ing kidding right? *vomits*

Not all boxes are made from MDF... I've seen quite a few fiberglass boxes,
but the ones I've heard sounded alright. The weight of 4 large MDF boxes
and 10 smaller boxes would be a lot to put into a small Honda. Albeit
fiberglass isn't the lightest material in the world, even a thick layering
would be less weight than MDF.

How can you sit there and knock what you don't like? Maybe not everyone
wants to have your car and your setup. I'm going to laugh when my system
sounds great, and looks a HELL of a lot better than any MDF boxes you could
make.

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.audio.car
justin time

Cyrus wrote in
:

In article ,
justin time wrote:

I have a lot of speakers to install in my car. Unfortunately the
engine's not that strong and building MDF speaker cabinets for all of
them would probably weigh at least 300 pounds or more. I'm going for
10 6x9's, 2 10'' subs and 2 15'' subs.

lol What type of xo's are you runnin?

I have several amps and speakers. I still haven't decided on which 6x9's
I'm going to get, although I already have 4 soundstorm 4-way 6x9's and a
BOSS 1000W Ripper amp to run them 2 on each channel at 2ohms, full
range. I like Soundstorm 6x9's. They sound VERY good, and I don't care
what anyone says. They have crystal clarity when amped well and they
have bass support good enough to cover mid-bass and a lot of middle and
treble.

The two tens I have are BOSS DVC 10's and I'm going to run these also on
another BOSS ripper 1000W amp that I have at 2 ohms stereo. I'll be
utilizing the amp's built-in crossover for this. But these subs only
drop down to about 30hz or so, and I just wanted them for more punch.
I'm putting these close to the seats and getting 2 15's for lower bass
support.

I have another BOSS 1400W ripper amp. I want to get 2 Ultralinear
ULX154D subs but I haven't made a final decision on this. I am thinkin
about these subs because of the frequency response. They're excellent.
And at the price I really don't have to worry about reliability. If they
last for at least a year I'll have gotten my money's worth IMO. I'll be
utilizing the built-in crossover on the amp for this also.

Finally, I was looking at getting some more 6x9's and another amp for
more sound reinforcement.

I like the sound of sealed boxes better than ported. It's just a
personal preference of mine. I don't mind that it's not as efficient or
loud as a ported enclosure. Sealed boxes just seem to be a lot smoother
at low frequency and not as sharp. I'm not looking for an ultra-loud
system. I'm not tryin to blow the roof off my car or make my ears bleed,
and I'm not tryin to compete with anyone else's system. I just want
superior overall clarity and a broad range of frequencies that can
actually be heard and distinguished from one another at high volumes
with low distortion.

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

Yo dude, I am not knocking fiberglass, I like fiberglass enclosures and
customization... You are far from educated on what 'boxes I could make', so
don't go there. I was knocking the fact that you will be putting in (10)
6x9's. I just find that amusing.

--
- AUSTIN BECKER
"justin time" wrote in message
.144...
"Austin Becker" wrote in news:KpTJf.807499
$xm3.471141@attbi_s21:

You've got to be ****ing kidding right? *vomits*

Not all boxes are made from MDF... I've seen quite a few fiberglass boxes,
but the ones I've heard sounded alright. The weight of 4 large MDF boxes
and 10 smaller boxes would be a lot to put into a small Honda. Albeit
fiberglass isn't the lightest material in the world, even a thick layering
would be less weight than MDF.

How can you sit there and knock what you don't like? Maybe not everyone
wants to have your car and your setup. I'm going to laugh when my system
sounds great, and looks a HELL of a lot better than any MDF boxes you

could
make.

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.audio.car
justin time

"Austin Becker" wrote in news:K6UJf.564688
$084.368953@attbi_s22:

rote in message

Alright, my bad... but still, I find that high-wattage amped 6x9's with
good EQ are the clearest-sounding mains for the price. More will add
clarity and overall sound production so they don't get overloaded and
drowned out by the bass frequencies, not to mention car and road noise. So
far I've only tried 4 at a time at 2ohms stereo. I basically want a stereo
wall of 6x9's. I'm not ALL about bass. 4-way 6x9's support a wider range of
frequencies and still have a little mid-bass and a bit of low end punch. I
don't want to invest everything into subs and end up with no upper-low end,
middle or high end clarity. My brother-in-law does this. His trunk is
loaded with subs and you can't even hear his little distorted mains.

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.audio.car
justin time

"Austin Becker" wrote in

Than start by not getting 10 6x9's. That shows that you want to blow
your roof off and make your ears bleed. And BOSS audio is ****. That
is another reason that I think that you've no idea what you're talking
about. You could spend the same amount of money on far less speakers
of superior quality and have twice the clarity (in my opinion) than
that ****. Sorry if you don't like my opinion, but don't post on
public newsgroups if you don't want someone else's input be it
critical or complimentary.

I respect critical comments if they're constructive rather than
downgrading. I like BOSS amps. They're actually my favorite. In my last
setup my ripper amp pumped a consistant load without distortion or
overheating. That's why I bought two more. Can't beat the price, either.
The only problem I have with the ripper amp is the chrome-plating. Keeping
it clean is a bitch.

As far as the amount of 6x9's, I explained the reason in another post.

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

I did some math....

4 x Soundstorm 6x9 @ $50 average = $200
2 x UltraLinear ULX154D @ $100 = $200
2 x 10" BOSS (Ripper I assume) @ $30 = $60
1 x 1400W BOSS Ripper amp @ $126
2 x 1000W BOSS Ripper amp @ $96 = $192

That takes you to $778 invested already, and that doesn't include shipping
on any of those. These prices were from ebay and google. Then you want to
add 6 more 6x9's to make a total of 10. That should be close to $300 taking
into the 1000's. Then you want to buy the materials to fiberglass all of
this in. That should be at a minimum $300. There's ~$1378 + S&H which for
all of that would run around the ball park of another $300 or so. $1600+.
And for what??? A bunch of crappy ass swap meet equipment. With that kind
of money to invest, you could have a killer system with far less speakers,
and less weight. The fact that you are defending that system with $1600 to
invest makes me want to vomit which is what stemmed the comment earlier.
Reconsider bro. You've got enough to get some really good sound and not
waste your interior space and weight your car down. If you do it right,
you'll have enough money left over for some cinder blocks if you want to
weigh your car down like that. Not to mention you didn't say a word about
upgrading your electrical system. LOL

I am litterally laughing out loud.

--
- AUSTIN BECKER

justin time wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

Well I wasn't suggesting investing in nothing but subs, but you could get a
killer sub, midbass driver, nice components, and an amp for each for less
than you would be spending on that nonsense, and if you've already got the
amps all you have to do is get a really nice sub, some components for the
front, and use the 6x9's you have for mid range and BLOW the system you
described away. Even an Alpine Type R 12" sub @ $110 would probably sound
as good as the 2 Boss Audio 10's. And if you really want a 15" you could
get one type R 15" for $200 and completely negate the 10's from the picture.
If put in the right sized enclosure, and amped properly, you could get
plenty of bass without being overwhelming to your front stage. Not to
mention the weight it would save you, and space. Then you've plenty of
change left over for your components. Since you've got 3 amps, there should
be no problem other than Xover, and you said you'll be using the amp's built
in for that. You could do way better and get respectable equipment that's
not flea market apparel and sound excellent.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
justin time

"Austin Becker" wrote in news:smUJf.807567
$xm3.65106@attbi_s21:

I've already bought most of this equipment - the only thing remaining is
the two extra subs, 6x9's and another amp, and I don't mind if it's so-
called "flea market" equipment. The coverage area of 10 6x9's is going
to cover far more area than fewer speakers would. It's just my
preference. I know there are higher quality drivers available, but I
like what I like. My first amp was a Pyramid. You can't get any cheaper
than that, but on a pair of 6x9's it was perfectly clear and had
excellent response. I later wired two more into the picture at 2 ohms
and I've been doing the same thing ever since because I just fell in
love with the increased coverage.

Don't get me wrong, I am open to a critically constructive debate here,
but I've already invested a lot of money and I'm set to do what I've
already started. I already understand that it's not the best setup in
the world, but I'd like it to be the best setup for what I have, and I
have quite a bit. Much of the fiberglass is already being used on
interior components, anyways, and I've bought a lot of it.

The drivers I've chosen are definately open to debate. I understand that
different drivers have different response and clarity. I've never had
BOSS drivers before now, but I figured they be good for handling the
basic low end and provide a little punch. I bought them because I had
good experiences with BOSS amps and I figured maybe they'd make good
driver's, too. As for the 6x9's, however, I've had many name brands that
sounded like pure ****, same for the subs, also. The worst investment I
made was on two Audiobahn DVC 15's. I've had Pyle subs that sounded
better, and I'm not kidding, and I'll never buy another Audiobahn sub
for as long as I live, just from that one experience.

you didn't say a word about
upgrading your electrical system. LOL

As far as the electrical is concerned, I already bought a 160 amp
alternator, plus a 5 farad capacitor. I might get a deep cycle battery
later if I find it's worth it.

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

And BOSS audio is ****. That is another
reason that I think that you've no idea what you're talking about. You
could spend the same amount of money on far less speakers of superior
quality and have twice the clarity (in my opinion) than that ****. Sorry
if
you don't like my opinion, but don't post on public newsgroups if you
don't
want someone else's input be it critical or complimentary.

You know, he wasn't asking your opinion about the quality of Boss amps so
your "don't post on public newsgroups if you don't want...." argument is
really pretty ridiculous. Unless someone is asking your OPINION about
something, I really don't think unsolicited comments are called for. IMHO,
it seems rude and frankly, petty.

If you don't like something about someone's system, simply DON'T ANSWER
THEIR QUESTION. Not everyone can afford the best stuff, and yet they are
still VERY PROUD OF THEIR SYSTEM. That's what makes this sport great, you
don't need tons of money to get into it, and there's COUNTLESS ways to build
a system (some will be untraditional). If you don't like this fact, go
start your own Usenet group, for instance: rec.audio.high-end.car.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Kevin McMurtrie

In article smUJf.807567$xm3.65106@attbi_s21,
"Austin Becker" wrote:

[...]

Damn, it's like the dot-bomb people who went all luxury by gold leafing
everything in their yard.

Austin, your highly specialized setup would do MUCH better by purchasing
specialized equipment. A truckload of junk from the local tire store
won't do it. You need to research your equipment better.
Soundstorm/Boss is cheap garbage with ridiculously exaggerated
specifications. You'll be lucky if the power specifications are
overstated by only 10x.

--

justin time wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
justin time

Austin, your highly specialized setup would do MUCH better by
purchasing specialized equipment. A truckload of junk from the local
tire store won't do it. You need to research your equipment better.
Soundstorm/Boss is cheap garbage with ridiculously exaggerated
specifications. You'll be lucky if the power specifications are
overstated by only 10x.

It's not his, it's mine. And it's not junk because I like it.
Furthermore, the power ratings are not overstated. They drive fine for
me. Seems like a user error if people can't figure out how to get it to
work correctly. Sorry I don't have a million dollars to buy the best of
the best.

If it sounds good enough, that's good enough for me. I'm not planning on
hitting any stereo competitions, you know? I just want wide
distribution. I want to hear my music clearly, hearing nothing else - no
road noise, no car engine, no wind - and I want to hear the whole band.
If it satisfies all those requirements, I'm satisfied. Cheap, junk,
whatever... It'll still sound better than a lot of people's systems out
there running all bass and a few tweeters causing an earthquake of
distorted nonsense.

I don't care what you say, BOSS makes good amps. Maybe if you tried one
you could say something about them. Have you even HEARD one? If so,
maybe it wasn't set up optimally, or it wasn't pushing its maximum load.
Mine has produced consistantly clear sound at even the highest volumes
with nearly no distortion and I've never overheated it once. More than I
can say for the people I've known with those "high quality" amps that
ended up rolling smoke.

Also, I am ECSTATICALLY pleased with Soundstorm's 6x9's. They sound
excellent. If you have such a great ear that you can interpret the
difference between their sound and another company than YOU buy the
other speakers. I like them and I'll continue using them.

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Also, I am ECSTATICALLY pleased with Soundstorm's 6x9's. They sound
excellent. If you have such a great ear that you can interpret the
difference between their sound and another company than YOU buy the
other speakers. I like them and I'll continue using them.

Here, here. Well said, Justin!

You know, I think some people fall into the trap of thinking that there is
only one right way to do things. If you are into competing, then that tends
to be true. I used to compete in IASCA back in the day (I used to do pretty
well, actually) and there were countless rules to follow and an accepted way
a stereo should sound. But as I get older, I realize that the only thing
that matters is if I LIKE IT!!! For instance, I always thought that
rear-fill should be barely audible. But over the years I have come to
realize that I LIKE my music to sound like it is coming from all around me
(like headphones). So that's how I set-up my system.

If you are happy with your gear and it's sound, that's ALL THAT MATTERS!

Furthermore, you are absolutely right about your comment regarding setting
up the Boss amps correctly. Boss has been in business a while and if they
TRULY built crap, they would not have lasted this long. The simple truth
with amplifiers is that THEY ALL SOUND THE SAME. Sure, the specs may be a
little different, but to the human ear, no one can tell the difference from
one to the next. If they say they can, they ARE LYING (or mistaken, the
mind can play tricks on a person, making you THINK you hear a difference).
I believe it was Julian Hirsch (I could be wrong) who offered $10,000 to
anyone who could tell the difference between a mulit-kilobuck tube amp, a
VERY expensive solid-state amp, and a cheapo solid state amp. In a
carefully set-up test environment, no one has been able to do it (I'm quite
sure that no one has yet claimed the prize). I have a Soundstream amp and a
Fosgate amp, as well as a Jensen amp, and they ALL SOUND THE SAME TO ME.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
justin time

"MOSFET" wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks for the support. It just seems to me like common sense. I have
found these amps to have true quality in MY experience and I favor them.
It's almost as stupid as the kids who make fun of people for not wearing
the most expensive clothes. A better analogy would be someone telling me
that I shouldn't eat my favorite food - tacos - because it's not their
favorite, and then downgrade me for doing so.

I got so many compliments from the clarity and response of a set of 4-
way Soundstorm 6x9's running on a PYRAMID CRYSTAL AMP it's rediculous;
and from how I hear it, the sound COULD NOT be better for the price I
paid for them.

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

Justin,

I'm not going to knock your selection of brands, because I thought you
defended your decisions rather well and I agree that you're the only one
that you need to make happy.

HOWEVER. I don't care what brand you like, you DON'T need 10 6x9s to get
crystal-clear sound. You can buy them if you want, it's your life, but
don't kid yourself by thinking you need a bunch of speakers to do the same
job a few well-installed ones will. Soundstorm or Soundstream, Boss or
Boston Acoustics...you don't "need" 10 of them to overcome road noise and
"hear the band". And that holds true for subs, too.

I realize you've already purchased some of your equipment, but unless you're
just looking for the challenge of a complicated install...think "less is
more" or "more is not always better". It's so, so true.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
justin time

"Tony F" wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks for the complement and the criticism. I think I may have left out
one vital element that factors into all this, though. My car was once
tore down and a lot of it was fiberglassed to make it lighter for
racing. At the moment, there is no dash, no carpet, no back seat, door
panels or window seals. Because of this there is a lot of road and wind
noise and even the higher-end speakers will get drowned out quite a bit.
Although I'm in the process of fixing all that, I would like the stereo
to overpower these noises as it is now. That way it can only be that
much better whenever I reinstall new interior and dampening materials.
Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

justin time wrote:
"Tony F" wrote in
:

[...]

Nevertheless, Tony's statement stands: you DON'T need THAT MANY speakers
to do the job. A pair of good 6.5" three-ways in the front and another
in the rear with sufficient power is enough to bleed your ears. And
while you may "like" your 6x9s, any oval speaker design - 6x9, 4x6,
4x10 - is inherantly defective, non-linear, and inaccurate. They are
simply a stupid and pointless design that was not invented by a speaker
manufacturer, but by an auto manufacturer who wanted to put bigger
speakers in a narrower deck, and should have died out 30 years ago.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0607-2, 02/16/2006
Tested on: 2/19/2006 6:08:35 AM

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

You know, Tony, I didn't think the multi-6x9 approach was that bad an idea.
We all know that, all things being equal, your typical 6x9 is comparable to
your typical 8" subwoofer. As most car makers have moved away from the 6x9,
I imagine prices have gone down consideribly for these types of speakers.
So, if you are the type who likes LOTS of sound coming from behind you,
6x9's may give you THE MOST bang for the buck. Again, it's like buying an 8'
subwoofer, midrange and tweeter all in one low-price package. I can
CERTAINLY see this being the best way to go for some people.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

A pair of good 6.5" three-ways in the front and another
in the rear with sufficient power is enough to bleed your ears.

With treble, perhaps. But I have used many different top-of-the-line 6.5"
SEPARATES (not coaxials) including Boston Acoustics, MB Quart and JL, with
very powerful amplifiers and none have ever even COME CLOSE to providing
enough bass for even moderate listening. Of course, I do listen to techno,
rap, and my wife thinks I am going deaf .

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

You can't use the "not everyone can afford" argument with me when they guy
is blatantly going out to buy ridiculous amounts of gear. I already posted
the math on this stuff. The argument that I am making with this kid is that
just because you add more speakers does not mean the clarity will get
better. In fact, this will lead to ALL KINDS of phase issues creating
cancellation he's never even dreamed about. He wants to fiberglass this
setup in, which is going to be far more laborious and expensive than
fiberglassing maybe the 4 6x9's and the subs. The fact that the opening
thread specifically mentioned the savings in weight that he would be getting
using fiberglass over MDF becomes null and void when you buy as many
speakers as you can fit in the car. If every comment the kid makes didn't
contradict the last comment he made, I would be less inclined to say much.
Typically I could care less if someone is buying cheap equipment for a
"great" system, because they usually aren't going to put 85 speakers in one
car either (sarcasm). But the fact that this guy is actually saying things
like "I want two 10's, and two 15's but I don't want to blow the roof off"
is asinine, as well as the fact that since "soundstorm 6x9's have crystal
clarity, I am going to add 6 more 6x9's to my setup and put 1400W amplifiers
on them." Does this not seem like fallacious reasoning to you? And not to
mention that those figures are for max power, not for RMS, so in reality
it's 700W RMS which is likely blown far out of reality. It's easy for
someone who hasn't heard really nice equipment to say that their setup is
great, but the fact that this kid actually has compared Pyle and audiobahn
to one another confirms my theories. Who ever said audiobahn is a good
speaker is what I'd like to know. Talk about ratings blown from reality.

--
- AUSTIN BECKER
"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

That is not their intention. Unless you bought them to be a dedicated mid
bass driver. Component speakers are not designed for bass, they're designed
for range. Components, Midbass and subs should be fine, but he is right
about the 6x9's and other oval speakers. Speaker manufacturers had to
design their own because of auto manufacturers making stupid decisions like
this.

--
- AUSTIN BECKER
"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
A pair of good 6.5" three-ways in the front and another
in the rear with sufficient power is enough to bleed your ears.

With treble, perhaps. But I have used many different top-of-the-line 6.5"
SEPARATES (not coaxials) including Boston Acoustics, MB Quart and JL, with
very powerful amplifiers and none have ever even COME CLOSE to providing
enough bass for even moderate listening. Of course, I do listen to

techno,
rap, and my wife thinks I am going deaf .

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Well, OK, I see your point and I can't really argue with anything you've
said. But, again, he wasn't asking if his system was a good idea or not. I
just don't think unsolicited snipes at someone's gear, install or judgment
is really necessary in this forum. It just creates an atmosphere of
hostility where the next guy may not ask his question because he's too
afraid people will start knocking his system. I hope you can see this.

MOSFET
[...]

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
justin time

"MOSFET" wrote in
:

You know, Tony, I didn't think the multi-6x9 approach was that bad an
idea. We all know that, all things being equal, your typical 6x9 is
comparable to your typical 8" subwoofer. As most car makers have
moved away from the 6x9, I imagine prices have gone down consideribly
for these types of speakers. So, if you are the type who likes LOTS of
sound coming from behind you, 6x9's may give you THE MOST bang for the
buck. Again, it's like buying an 8' subwoofer, midrange and tweeter
all in one low-price package. I can CERTAINLY see this being the best
way to go for some people.

MOSFET

My sentiments exactly. Driver "walls" don't just apply to subwoofers. I'd
like a large array of full-range speakers. I'm not THAT concerned with the
bass production of the 6x9's, but even still, the little bass that they do
produce has different sound characteristics that I actually like. IMO it's
complimentary to the bass you get from subwoofers.

Posted to rec.audio.car
justin time

"Austin Becker" wrote in

That is not their intention. Unless you bought them to be a dedicated
mid bass driver. Component speakers are not designed for bass,
they're designed for range. Components, Midbass and subs should be
fine, but he is right about the 6x9's and other oval speakers.
Speaker manufacturers had to design their own because of auto
manufacturers making stupid decisions like this.

You have to look at it from an economical standpoint, too. 4-way 6x9's -
although not "perfect" by any means - are do-it-all speakers, and they do
it well all things considering. Give or take, you can safely say that most
well-amplified 6x9's are going to far outperform similar 5.25'' drivers,
especially the ones that are running off the deck amp, and you can't beat
all that sound coming from one little compact package. Just my opinion.
Posted to rec.audio.car
justin time

"Austin Becker" wrote in

Nobody seems to understand my logic in this, so I'll break it down and
try to explain it a little better...

this kid

First of all, I'm not a "kid." I'm 25 years old.

just because you add more speakers does not mean
the clarity will get better.

The clarity of the frequency response will NOT get better, no. You are
correct. BUT, it will help with sound reinforcement and allow the
clarity that IS there to push thru the rest of the noise, like road
noise and wind. You can't deny this. That is my main logic in all this.

which is going to be far more
laborious and expensive than fiberglassing maybe the 4 6x9's and the
subs.

How do you know how much fiberglass I can get for how much money, and
how much I already have? Fiberglass fabrication is a hobby for me. I
even made my car's body kit.

The fact that the opening thread specifically mentioned the
savings in weight that he would be getting using fiberglass over MDF
becomes null and void when you buy as many speakers as you can fit in
the car.

Actually, no, it doesn't. If I'm intent on putting x amount of speakers
in my car, they're going to require x amount of boxes. x amount of
fiberglass boxes is going to weigh far less than the same amount of MDF
boxes. I'll assume you already understood that.

If every comment the kid makes didn't contradict the last
comment he made, I would be less inclined to say much.

I'm not a "kid," and I haven't contradicted myself. I know what I want
in my car and I have a rough idea on how I'm going to do it.

Typically I
could care less if someone is buying cheap equipment for a "great"
system, because they usually aren't going to put 85 speakers in one
car either (sarcasm).

You might like having 2 or 4 mains, but I want more. See my argument for
"reinforcement" above.

But the fact that this guy is actually saying
things like "I want two 10's, and two 15's but I don't want to blow
the roof off" is asinine,

If I wanted to blow the roof off, I would have bought competition
subwoofers and amps, wouldn't I? Naturally, you can understand that with
10 6x9's, you're going to need a significant amount of bass to back that
up and cut through the mix. It doesn't necessarily have to be loud, it's
just reinforcement that I am worried about. The main issue here is sound
quality. The subs are there just to reinforce the low-end of the
spectrum, not to go around mexi-thumping in my neighborhood with my hat
on backwards letting everyone know how cool I am. I drive a LOT, and I
want excellent sound reproduction, not competition volumes.

I chose my subwoofers for frequency response. The 10's that I selected
respond down to 30hz. I want another set to respond around 20hz. Run
them together and they should make a nice compliment to each other.

as well as the fact that since "soundstorm
6x9's have crystal clarity, I am going to add 6 more 6x9's to my setup
and put 1400W amplifiers on them." Does this not seem like fallacious
reasoning to you?

Again, reinforcement.

And not to mention that those figures are for max
power, not for RMS, so in reality it's 700W RMS which is likely blown
far out of reality.

RMS on my amp is AS STATED when run at 2 ohms stereo. Thanks.

It's easy for someone who hasn't heard really
nice equipment to say that their setup is great, but the fact that
this kid actually has compared Pyle and audiobahn to one another
confirms my theories. Who ever said audiobahn is a good speaker is
what I'd like to know. Talk about ratings blown from reality.

Lots of people claim Audiobahn to be badass speakers. I've always
thought they were junk ever since I bought my first. And I was simply
stating that you can make Pyle's sound good if you have them in a good
configuration, depending on what you wanted to do with them.

Now that you're finished calling me "kid" and all that bull****, just
tell me how you expected to run spongehead's SVC subs bridged into
2ohms. That's what I thought. Okay, thanks, bye
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

You know, Justin, I get the idea that many here have never heard a good set
of 6X9's in proper enclosures driven by ample power. I have and the effects
are startling. A 6.5" driver just can't produce much usable bass below
about 60-70Hz, where a car's transfer function really kicks in. Most 6x9's
CAN. Therefore, IN A CAR, the difference between a 6x9 and a 6.5" driver is
VERY DRAMATIC. Unless you have ever heard this, I just don't think you
realize how dramatic this effect is. I heard a car once with just a pair of
6x9's and I could SWEAR it had a pair of 10's!!! In high-school, a friend
of mine had a wall of 4 6x9's in a tiny Datsun and the bass massaged your
back and guts. It's all about the transfer function and being able to use
those magic frequencies.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

I overlooked the 2 channel portion of that... my fault.

--
- AUSTIN BECKER
just tell me how you expected to run spongehead's SVC subs bridged into
2ohms.

Posted to rec.audio.car
justin time

"Austin Becker" wrote in news:%X3Kf.565766
$084.492310@attbi_s22:

I overlooked the 2 channel portion of that... my fault.

Sorry for arguin, I just get aggrivated sometimes when people call me
"kid."

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

Are you familiar with recording techniques and how music is recorded to
recreate the image of a stage in front of you with the musicians playing as
if you were at a concert? You say you are more interested in the overall
sound quality rather than the pressure level, but putting a wall of mid/full
range speakers behind you is far from similar to putting a wall of
subwoofers behind you. A wall of subwoofers is there to add volume (3db per
subwoofer assuming they are all utilizing the same power and are the same
subwoofer). The same type of thing will happen with your speakers, they
will get louder, however the music will be coming from behind you, and I
will make the assumption that you will have speakers in front of you as
well. This will created quite the phasing/cancellation problem and an
enormous amount of midrange pressure, so I hope you are ready to engage that
issue. Also, with music coming from the front of you, and behind you, this
causes your brain to tell you ears which speakers to listen to as they
compete with each other for volume. This becomes very fatiguing on the
brain and the ears, and can lead to other problems. Now with having 4 way
6x9's (several of them) there will be a full array of frequencies coming
from behind you, and will definitely cause some hearing issues/cancellation
problems, and your front stage is going to be severely lacking. This is
assuming that you still plan to go with two 10's and two 15's. That will
produce a good amount of bass, and will definitely overwhelm your front
stage. Just something to chew on.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Sorry for arguin, I just get aggrivated sometimes when people call me
"kid."

That's OK, son.

Posted to rec.audio.car
justin time

"Austin Becker" wrote in
news34Kf.565817$084.62215@attbi_s22:

[...]

I've thought about that, and I haven't decided on how I'm going to deal
with it or make it work, but the general idea was to have all of the
6x9's mounted behind. I want to have two mounted to the ceiling on each
side and two mounted on top of the 10'' cabs on each side, all directly
behind the seats.
Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

justin time wrote:
"MOSFET" wrote in
:

[...]

Well if you're trying to pack in as many speakers as possible, ditch the
6x9s and go for the 4x10s, you'll be able to achieve a much higher
density and you'll be the King of the Trailer Park.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0607-2, 02/16/2006
Tested on: 2/19/2006 1:02:04 PM

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb

Reply below...

MOSFET wrote:
The simple truth
with amplifiers is that THEY ALL SOUND THE SAME. Sure, the specs may be a
little different, but to the human ear, no one can tell the difference from
one to the next. If they say they can, they ARE LYING (or mistaken, the
mind can play tricks on a person, making you THINK you hear a difference).
I believe it was Julian Hirsch (I could be wrong) who offered $10,000 to
anyone who could tell the difference between a mulit-kilobuck tube amp, a
VERY expensive solid-state amp, and a cheapo solid state amp. In a
carefully set-up test environment, no one has been able to do it (I'm quite
sure that no one has yet claimed the prize). I have a Soundstream amp and a
Fosgate amp, as well as a Jensen amp, and they ALL SOUND THE SAME TO ME.

MOSFET

It is Richard Clark from Carsound that offered the $10,000 prize, but it
is a bit different than you state. Below are the rules. And its not
quite that "all amps sound the same", but that all amps will sound the
same when within their linear range, without being driven to clipping,
and with and features that change the sound disabled, like crossovers,
EQs, etc. Essentially it comes down to a watt is a watt. Many of the
"cheaper" brands overrate their equipment which is what gives them their
"junk" nickname. When they say "1000 watts" but it is only really
capable of maybe 100-200 watts in real-life use, that's the thing that
irks most people. A general way to know approximately how much watts an
amplifier will do is to add the fuse ratings together (inside the amp,
not on the wire, and multiply by voltage. That won't account for
efficiency, but i'll likely get you closer than what is printed on the box.

Brandonb

THE $10,000 AMPLIFIER CHALLENGE RULES {April 21, 2000}
By Richard Clark

There is no question that all amps are not the same. It is very easy to
measure large differences in the performance of amplifiers. This is true
in nearly every known specification, including power, noise, distortion,
etc. My experience has led me to believe that even though these
differences can be easily measured, hearing those differences may not be
so easy. Given the relatively small magnitude of performance
differences, there is a giant step between amplifier performance and our
ability to hear performance differences.
It is claimed by designers, manufacturers and especially salespersons
that differences in amplifiers are clearly audible. Reasons include
"obvious" advantages of one type of circuit topology over another. For
example, it is claimed that certain designs have a smoother midrange
response whereas other amplifiers exhibit tighter bass. Tube fanatics
claim that tube amplifiers have that "warm" sound we all need in our
systems.
Such descriptive terms are certainly subject to personal interpretation.
It is not my intention to determine if one particular amplifier is
better than another amplifier. Differences in the quality of the
discrete components and constructions are more appropriate for settling
the issue of "good - better - best." The sole purpose of my amplifier
challenge is to determine if the differences in amplifiers are audible.

What differences are Audible?

I believe the perceived differences in amplifiers are all due to various
factors that can be explained with basic physics and elementary
psyco-acoustics. For instance, if two amplifiers are not carefully
matched in volume, and one amp is slightly louder than the other, then
it would be a simple matter to detect such a difference. In such an
example it is important to understand that it is not the circuit
topology, quality of the component, design excellence, or superb
marketing and packaging that caused the noticeable difference - it was
an error in the test setup! It is my present belief that as long as a
modern amplifier is operated within its linear range (below overload),
the differences between amps are inaudible to the human ear.

Comparing Amps

The idea here is for a test subject to scientifically demonstrate
his/her ability to hear differences in amplifiers. It is our job to
carefully match the amps so that we are comparing "apples to apples"
instead of "oranges to frogs." This means that we sure wouldn't want to
compare one amplifier that had + 12 dB of high frequency boost against
another amplifier that was adjusted for + 12 dB of bass boost. Such a
test would be easy to pass - even on identical amplifiers with
consecutive serial numbers.
For our comparison test, we aren't concerned with which amplifier sounds
best to the test subject. We only require that the listener be able to
identify each amplifier when it is powering the speakers. Since many
folks seem to believe that amplifiers have some kind of distinctive
sonic character, this test should be easy to pass. Right? After all,
we're talking about comparing those harsh sounding, high distortion,
squeaky "widget As" to those warm sounding, smooth, bass hog "widget Bs."
Now pay particular attention to the following sections. Since we're
looking for differences in amplifiers, and we already know that those
differences are probably going to be very, very small, it is important
that the parameters under our control be carefully adjusted so as to be
equal as possible. This means that we must be cognizant of differences
we might unknowingly introduce between amp A and amp B. They must be
adjusted as identical as possible. We already mentioned the importance
of volume. The same goes for the L and R balance. It sure would be easy
to choose an amplifier that exhibited left side bias over a balanced
amp. Right?
Well, in order to keep this amplifier comparison test fair, there are a
few other parameters that must be considered. I'll list them all in the
following section.

Amplifier Comparison Test Conditions

1. Amplifier gain controls - of both channels - are matched to within +-
..05 dB.

2. Speaker wires on both amps are properly wired with respect to
polarity. (+ and -)

3. That neither amp has signal phase inversion. If so correction will be
made in #2 above.

4. That neither amp is loaded beyond its rated impedance.

5. That all amplifiers with signal processors have those circuits
bypassed. This includes bass boost circuits, filters, etc. If frequency
tailoring circuits cannot be completely bypassed an equalizer will be
inserted in the signal path of one (only one and the listener can decide
which) of the amps to compensate for the difference. Compensation will
also be made for input and output loading that affects frequency
response. Since we are only listening for differences in the sonic
signature of circuit topology, the addition of an EQ in one signal path
only should make the test even easier.

6. That neither amp exhibits excessive noise (including RFI).

7. That each amp can be properly driven by the test setup. Not normally
a problem but it is theoretically a problem.

8. That the L and R channels are not reversed in one amp.

9. That neither amp has excessive physical noise or other indicators
that can be observed by the listener.

10. That neither amp has DC OFFSET that causes audible pops when its
output is switched.

11. That the channel separation of all amps in the test is at least 30
dB from 20Hz to 20kHz.

Page 1 of 2

In addition to these requirements the test will be conducted according
to the following rules.

Amplifier Test Comparison Rules

1. To make things easy we would prefer to use high quality home type
loudspeakers for the test. If our speakers are not acceptable, the
listener can provide any commercially available speaker system as long
as it uses dynamic drivers. The actual measured impedance cannot exceed
the rated load impedance of the amplifiers tested. If, however, the
tester would like to perform the test in a car, we will use a car,
however, it will have to be provided by the test subject. For
practicality we will have to limit the number of amplifier channels to
four or less.

2. Amplifiers will be powered from the same power supply at a nominal 14
volts DC. (any voltage is OK as long as it is the same for both amps)

3. The test can be conducted at any volume desired; however, the amps
will not be allowed to clip. In other words, listening volume can not
exceed the power capacity of the smallest amp of the pair being tested.
(power capacity will be defined as clipping or 2%THD 20Hz to 10kHz,
whichever is less)

4. No test signals can be used - only commercially available music.

5. The listener can compare two amps at a time for as long as desired.
For practical reasons we would like to keep this at least no more than a
few hours. A test session will consist of 12 A/B sequences. Passing the
test will require a positive identification of each amp for all 12
sequences. Remember, guessing will get you about 6 out of 12. If the
differences are so great, and a subject can really hear the difference,
then he/she should be able to do so for all 12 sequences.

6. To win the $10,000.00, the listener must pass two complete sessions
of 12 comparisons. Passing the test means 24 correct responses.* The amp
of choice can be compared to the same or a different amp in each session
- challengers choice. We have many amplifiers in our demo inventory such
as, but not limited to, Alpine, Rockford, Kicker, Phoenix Gold,
Precision Power, MTX, Adcom, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, etc. You can pick
any of them or bring your own.

7. All amps must be brand name, standard production, linear voltage
amplifiers. This does not exclude high current amps. Amps can not be
modified and must meet factory specs. They must be "car audio amplifiers
designed to be powered from a car's electrical system."

8. Failure of an amp (this includes thermal shutdown) during the test
will require that the test be repeated after repair or replacement or
cooling of the amp. This means that the entire test session will have to
be repeated.

9. The amps will not be overloaded during the session from either a
voltage or current requirement.

10. To save time the listener will have to pass a quick 8 trial session
to qualify for the extended 2 session test for the money prize. Any 2
amps can be used for this test. Passing this qualifying test will
require at least 6 out of 8 correct answers.

11. The amplifier power up and/or power down sequence will not be
acceptable for comparison. (The turn on/off noises of some amplifiers
would give it away.)

12. Although anyone is welcome to take the test, only subjects employed
in the car audio industry or Car Sound subscribers are eligible for the
$10,000.00 prize.

13. Cost to take the test is $100.00. $300.00 for people representing
companies. Payable in advance, scheduled appointments only. Done
correctly the test takes several hours and I don’t have the time if you
aren’t serious.

* Twelve correct responses in a row is certainly a lot of correct
listening but $10,000 is also a lot of money for a few hours of easy
listening. The way people describe the differences is that they are like
night and day. I would certainly not have any trouble choosing between
an apple and an orange 12 times in a row. When compared fairly I believe
the differences in amps are much too small to audibly detect and
certainly too small to pay large sums of extra money for. If I am wrong
someone should be able to carefully take this test and win my money.
Even if I am right, if enough people take the test eventually someone
will take my money due to random chance. This is the reason for the
large sample requirement. If you feel that you can easily pass this test
but 12 sequences will give you "listening fatigue" I am willing to
modify the requirements. Since the way it is being offered is a
challenge and only my money is at risk I am willing to let a confident
challenger "put his money where his ears are". If we are willing to make
this a bet instead of a challenge, I am willing to drop 1 sequence for
every thousand dollars put up by the challenger against my money. This
would mean:

____My___________ _ _Your________Trails Required to win__
$10,000 to $0 = 12 Tries
$9,000 to $1,000 = 11 Tries
$8,000 to $2,000 = 10 Tries
$7,000 to $3,000 = 9 Tries
$6,000 to $4,000 = 8 Tries
$5,000 to $5,000 = 7 Tries
$4,000 to $6,000 = 6 Tries

I will not do the test with less than 6 trails. It would be
statistically meaningless and reduce the challenge to mere gambling.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb

I could really care less about what brand of speakers are used or how
much was paid, etc. But Austin does bring up a good point here for any
system. The more speakers introduced, the more phase issues become
probable and very likely, problematic. Just verifying positive and
negative on each speaker may not be enough, in and of itself. All ten
6x9s (discounting all other point-sources) would need to be equidistant
from the listener. If some are closer than others, it could create a
problem. I'll have more in another post in this thread.

Brandonb

Austin Becker wrote:
The argument that I am making with this kid is that
just because you add more speakers does not mean the clarity will get
better. In fact, this will lead to ALL KINDS of phase issues creating
cancellation he's never even dreamed about.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb

Inline...and OP snipped slightly

justin time wrote:

The clarity of the frequency response will NOT get better, no. You are
correct. BUT, it will help with sound reinforcement and allow the
clarity that IS there to push thru the rest of the noise, like road
noise and wind. You can't deny this. That is my main logic in all this.

If your prime objective is overpowering or to "push thru" the road
noises, you may wish to focus your energies on ways to minimize those
instead. For instance, sound deadening and dampening. Products like
Dynamat and similar work great... for rattles and resonating surfaces.
It'll do jack for road noise though. For that, dampening is what you'd
want to do. For a good example, try pulling up your vehicle's carpet
some time. You'll notice a funky foam/fabric cushiony underlining. This
stuff is pretty similar to what you'd find under carpet in a house also.

You can buy this stuff at carpet stores or online, etc and for pretty
cheap. Like 15 cents a square foot or less. It comes in different
thicknesses as well. Find where most of the noise is coming through and
put some in. It wouldn't hurt to add some deadening in those spots as
well, expecially in doors and on backs of interior panels. Windshields
are of course the weakness in this plan.

How do you know how much fiberglass I can get for how much money, and
how much I already have? Fiberglass fabrication is a hobby for me. I
even made my car's body kit.

I envy you. You can even use your fiberglassing skills to beef up the
deadening and dampening. A couple layers on the backs of interior
paneling for instance.

Actually, no, it doesn't. If I'm intent on putting x amount of speakers
in my car, they're going to require x amount of boxes. x amount of
fiberglass boxes is going to weigh far less than the same amount of MDF
boxes. I'll assume you already understood that.

The main argument here, from my standpoint at least, is a matter of
quantity over quality. Some people are thinking quality of speakers, but
I don't care about that. The quality I'm talking about is of the
install. You can make the world's best and most expensive speakers sound
like the world's worst speakers in a ****ty install. The opposite is
true also. You can make cheap speakers sound great in a good install as
long as they aren't damaged. The idea is to give them an enclosure they
are designed for, with proper volume and tuning if applicable, and
enough power without too much power. The power is the easy part. get one
that can at least do what is recommended, and even more if within
budget. An amp can always be turned down, but it can only be turned up
so far.

Naturally, you can understand that with
10 6x9's, you're going to need a significant amount of bass to back that
up and cut through the mix. It doesn't necessarily have to be loud, it's
just reinforcement that I am worried about. The main issue here is sound
quality. The subs are there just to reinforce the low-end of the
spectrum, not to go around mexi-thumping in my neighborhood with my hat
on backwards letting everyone know how cool I am. I drive a LOT, and I
want excellent sound reproduction, not competition volumes.

I think you'd be surprised with how much bass you will end up getting
with 10 6x9s. My factory 6x9s in my front doors sound like 1 or 2 10"
subs in a sealed box now that I have them externally amped. That's just
two paper-cone speakers that came with the car, but they designers
actually did a decent job with the door enclosure. Since you do
fiberglass work for a hobby and seem to be rather astute at it, I
suggest you make an enclosure for your 4 current 6x9s, equidistant from
listener or time-corrected accordingly, and test it out before dropping
the cash of the other 6. You may be very pleased with the result. Try
the dampening idea with it also.

I chose my subwoofers for frequency response. The 10's that I selected
respond down to 30hz. I want another set to respond around 20hz. Run
them together and they should make a nice compliment to each other.

Getting 2 10" subs and 2 15" subs may be detrimental also. The 10" subs
will likely play just as low as the 15" subs. However, because of pure
cone area and efficiency, the 15" subs will sound louder at those lower
frequencies. Which means the 10's will be focusing on slightly higher
bass frequencies, which the 15's will do fine at, and will basically be
overrun by the 6x9's, which with the sheer number will get the midbass
you're wanting, but not the low-end extension. You keep stating you
don't want competition bass. Well.... stop adding equipment like you do
then .

And I was simply
stating that you can make Pyle's sound good if you have them in a good
configuration, depending on what you wanted to do with them.

Bravo. Good answer.

Brandonb
Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

Austin Becker wrote:

The argument that I am making with this kid is that
just because you add more speakers does not mean the clarity will get
better. In fact, this will lead to ALL KINDS of phase issues creating
cancellation he's never even dreamed about.

"justin time" noted that "The clarity of the frequency response will NOT
get better, no. You are correct. BUT, it will help with sound
reinforcement and allow the clarity that IS there to push thru the rest
of the noise, like road noise and wind. You can't deny this. That is my
main logic in all this."

The fact is, phase issues will directly affect combined output. The
most extreme case, of course, is putting two speakers side-by-side and
wiring them in opposite phase, with the result that you'll hear very
little output from the pair as the two signals cancel each other out.
With a huge bank of 10 speakers spread across the width of the car, the
phase problems will not only affect the quality of the sound, but could
potentially greatly affect the output level of the array, thus
completely negating the OP's main reaason for this little exercise, ie.
"sound reinforcement".

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0607-2, 02/16/2006
Tested on: 2/19/2006 3:16:48 PM

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb

Ooh! Just think of this as having all the mundane pain in the ass work
of removing all that to put down dampening and deadening done for you
already. Now that all that is out, drop the cash for the extra 6x9s into
dampening and deadening and a really kick-ass fiberglass interior. Take
my word for it, if you drop it all on a so-so system to get you by until
you do the big part, you'll never get to the big part or delay and
procrastinate for a lot longer than expected. Just jump in at the bottom
and work your way up to a kick-ass install by the time you get the sound
equipment in place.

Brandonb

justin time wrote:
Thanks for the complement and the criticism. I think I may have left out
one vital element that factors into all this, though. My car was once
tore down and a lot of it was fiberglassed to make it lighter for
racing. At the moment, there is no dash, no carpet, no back seat, door
panels or window seals. Because of this there is a lot of road and wind
noise and even the higher-end speakers will get drowned out quite a bit.
Although I'm in the process of fixing all that, I would like the stereo
to overpower these noises as it is now. That way it can only be that
much better whenever I reinstall new interior and dampening materials.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Brandonb, thanks for including that. I read it many years ago and forgot
the details. Of course the parameters have to be carfuly controled, but I
think it puts to rest the notion that tube amps "sound warm" and so on, and
so forth (tube amps DO sound different than solid state amps when they begin
to clip which is most likely what people are reffering to by "tube sound").
But you are right, a watt is a watt.

MOSFET