Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Spiral shield coverage -- how much is enough?

I am looking at options for coaxial musical instrument cable. One type
has 55% spiral shield, the other is 90%. What does the extra shielding
buy me in this application? I am using the 55% right now without any
noticeable problems, and it has the advantage of not being as thick as
the other stuff.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TimPerry

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking at options for coaxial musical instrument cable. One type
has 55% spiral shield, the other is 90%. What does the extra shielding
buy me in this application? I am using the 55% right now without any
noticeable problems, and it has the advantage of not being as thick as
the other stuff.

the spiral cable is faster and easier to attach connectors... just strip,
twist and solder.

poorly shielded cables may encounter problems with hum, noise, and/or RFI
(radio)particularly on longer runs (say 50 ft or more)

thinner is not necessarily better... it might mean a greater amount of
capacitance per foot

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Thanks for the tips. I agree with the convenience of the spiral shield.
Both of these cables are spiral shielded. They are a brand called
ProCo, and two particular types sold by Parts Express. I have used the
55% type for years. Most of my cables are in the ballpark of 10 feet or
less.

(I also suspect that the 90% stuff may not have a thicker dielectric,
but may simply have a thicker jacket).