Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro
soundhaspriority

Default good omni mic?

I'd like to acquire a pair of omnis for use with a Jecklin disk. As usual,
my limited budget (much of which has gone to the Apogee Mini-Me) prevents
exploration of the "really really good but expensive" category.

Since this is to be for distance miking, air absorption at high frequencies
becomes an issue. Examination of the Studio Concepts C4,
http://www.studioprojects.com/c4.html reveals some negative comments:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Recor...ects/C4-1.html
(defects, excessive noise floor, rolloff)
that suggest that the upper end may not be as flat as advertised:
http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/pdf/c4.pdf

It would seem (please hold the flames) that these issues are significant in
distant miking with the Jecklin, even if these mics will perform well for
overhead drum.

Another contender is the MXL 604,
http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic...ser_index.html, which I would
guess may use the same capsule. The frequency response curve actually
resembles the reports of the C4 more than the curve advertised for the C4.

Or, I could stick with the MXL 603s,
http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic...ser_index.html, which, while not
omnis, manage to carry out to 20 kHz, albeit with a significant bump in the
8 - 16 kHz region. Probably also the same capsule.

Another option would be my pair of Behringer electret measurement mics,
http://www.behringer.com/ECM8000/index.cfm?lang=ENG which charmingly
resemble the physical appearance of the Earthworks at only 2% the price. By
far the most even frequency and polar response, but these are far too noisy,
right?

Any other options I should consider? Tia,
Bob