Adam Stouffer

Default Ground your secondary winding

While doing some more 845 tests I noticed that small secondary peaks
where showing up midway down the trace. It only seemed to happen when
the frequency went over over 15Khz. Hmmm doesn't show up in any previous
stages so its gotta be the output. Well grounding the secondary winding
made all the difference. No more weird peaks and everything is well.
Must be a hell of a leakage with Hammond iron because it gives a nice
shock too. I'd say about 80 volts worth.

Oh and cheap film resistors will go noisy quickly. Theres one going bad
intermittently in my 811 amp that stops just when I reach for the meter.

Adam
Krzysiek Slychan

Don't you have a screen between primary and secondary windings?

I connect all the secondaries to amp's central ground point, which is
earthed.too..

Sander deWaal

Adam Stouffer said:

Oh and cheap film resistors will go noisy quickly. Theres one going bad
intermittently in my 811 amp that stops just when I reach for the meter.

Dunno what resistors you're using, but IMO soldering them quickly with
a good iron helps in avoiding noise, too.
I've had Allen Bradley's going noisy because of heating them too long
while soldering.

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."