Posted to rec.audio.tech
Harry

Default Ambient outdoor recording (1000ft cable run)

Hey!

I would like to run a matched pair of microphones about 900-1000 feet
away to record ambient outdoor sound.

Ideally, I would like to use my (indoor) preamps, and I would like the
option of using condensers, meaning I would need to send phantom power
to these mics.

Before I sink any cash into the 1000 ft cable to run the first tests,
can anyone tell me if this is even feasible? i.e., would the signal be
too weak after going 1000 feet to do anything with? What would be the
maximum distance I could get away with?

My instincts tell me it would be better to get the signal up to line
level as quickly as possible after the mic.

Do I need some kind of *battery-powered* phantom supply that could
also get my mic signal up to line level before traveling back to my
studio? Does such a thing even exist?

Thanks for your recommendations. They are appreciated.

HH
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Peter Larsen

Harry wrote:

Hey!

I would like to run a matched pair of microphones about 900-1000 feet
away to record ambient outdoor sound.

Ideally, I would like to use my (indoor) preamps, and I would like the
option of using condensers, meaning I would need to send phantom power
to these mics.

Hmmm ....

Before I sink any cash into the 1000 ft cable to run the first tests,
can anyone tell me if this is even feasible? i.e., would the signal be
too weak after going 1000 feet to do anything with? What would be the
maximum distance I could get away with?

Depends on output stage current drive capability in the treble.

My instincts tell me it would be better to get the signal up to line
level as quickly as possible after the mic.

YES.

Do I need some kind of *battery-powered* phantom supply that could
also get my mic signal up to line level before traveling back to my
studio? Does such a thing even exist?

You should preferably have a battery powered preamp, 20 to 40 dB gain
depening on noise level you want to record, 20 dB is the safer bet and
you want one with balanced ouputs and able to drive a 600 ohm load.

Thanks for your recommendations. They are appreciated.

Why not rent say a Fostex FR2 and take a walk with it and a stick with a
pair of mics? - its gonna be a costly cable run. A cheap recorder on the
spot may also do just fine, say an Edirol R-1 or a Midiman Microtrack
2496, they may have got it "done" by now, it did have a lot of initial
quircks.

HH

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TimPerry

"Harry" wrote in message
Hey!

I would like to run a matched pair of microphones about 900-1000 feet
away to record ambient outdoor sound.

im just curious; how much stereo effect can you get with ambiant noise? i
assume that crickets chirping, wind blowing, stuff like that.

Ideally, I would like to use my (indoor) preamps, and I would like the
option of using condensers, meaning I would need to send phantom power
to these mics.

sure, in case it rains!

Before I sink any cash into the 1000 ft cable to run the first tests,
can anyone tell me if this is even feasible? i.e., would the signal be
too weak after going 1000 feet to do anything with? What would be the
maximum distance I could get away with?

i do 250 to 500 ft runs at times but prefer to make these line level when
possable.

My instincts tell me it would be better to get the signal up to line
level as quickly as possible after the mic.

Do I need some kind of *battery-powered* phantom supply that could
also get my mic signal up to line level before traveling back to my
studio? Does such a thing even exist?

at 1000 ft the total resistance will be small as compared to the phantom
supply resistors in the preamp. most condensers seem to work fine with
several hundred foot runs in fixed installs like theatres and churches.

im not quite sure what the spec ohms per Mft means here... but i take it to
mean ohms per thousand feet.
http://gepco.com/products/proav_cabl...ingdual_22.htm

Thanks for your recommendations. They are appreciated.

HH

another fellow who is doing this using an oktava 219 had a problem with ants
and other bugs infesting the mic.

a battery (dual) powered condenser mic such as the AT MB4000C or Shure PG81
would eliminate the need for phantom.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Michael R. Kesti

TimPerry wrote:

"Harry" wrote in message
.. .
Hey!

I would like to run a matched pair of microphones about 900-1000 feet
away to record ambient outdoor sound.

im just curious; how much stereo effect can you get with ambiant noise? i
assume that crickets chirping, wind blowing, stuff like that.

One balmy summer evening a few years ago I decided to put myself in danger
of learning something and set up a coincident pair out on the patio. The
crickets and frogs were blaring away, some dogs were barking occasionally,
and some street traffic went by at infrequent intervals. The amount of
stereo information in that recording is nothing short of amazing! On
playback, one can clearly hear the small critters moving around and the
positions of the other sounds are very discernable.

It drives the cat just nuts to play that recording in the winter. I may
have to try it again tomorrow!

deletia

| two, one and one make one."
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 21:21:10 -0500, "TimPerry"
wrote:

im just curious; how much stereo effect can you get with ambiant noise? i
assume that crickets chirping, wind blowing, stuff like that.

Plenty. Possibly more than you get recording in a room with
reflections messing up the sound stage,

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:11:50 -0500, Harry wrote:

I would like to run a matched pair of microphones about 900-1000 feet
away to record ambient outdoor sound.

Are you going to want to do this often? Rent the cable and try.
Consider taking a portable recorder to the location instead.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

I have a MotU 896 and a Sony laptop computer that I do this with. I power
the MotU with an inverter, off a deep cycle battery. I made a recording with
8 large diaphragm condenser mics. This was late March, when the pond was
teaming with peepers. I wanted to capture a high fidelity version of that
sound, and by golly, I got more than I bargained for!
The superb s/n ratio opened up some interesting possibilities for high
volume playback and EQ'ing to emphasize and isolate certain sounds. I found
that I was able to hear traffic from miles away, and I could enhance the
harmonic tones of the peepers and hear a reedy sound that normally isn't
heard by the naked ear, all without introducing hiss.
If high fidelity is your primary goal, get the recording gear out there and
keep the cables short.

--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . DVD MASTERING . AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com --Now with Hi-Fi Stereo Streaming Audio!
-

"Harry" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pat Farrell

Harry wrote:
I would like to run a matched pair of microphones about 900-1000 feet
away to record ambient outdoor sound.

Folks run several hundred feet of cable for low impedance mics all the time.
50 feet runs are everywhere, it is why you run low impedance mics.

but 1000 feet is a lot of cable, it will be expensive. Even at thirty cents
a foot, you are talking about 2000 feet for stereo. or $600 for the cable.

For that, I'd buy an old laptop and put it in a box out in the field.

--
Pat

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TimPerry

Harry wrote:
I would like to run a matched pair of microphones about 900-1000 feet
away to record ambient outdoor sound.

Folks run several hundred feet of cable for low impedance mics all the

time.
50 feet runs are everywhere, it is why you run low impedance mics.

but 1000 feet is a lot of cable, it will be expensive. Even at thirty

cents
a foot, you are talking about 2000 feet for stereo. or $600 for the cable.

For that, I'd buy an old laptop and put it in a box out in the field.

--
Pat

you should be able to find Gepco D61801EZGF dual pair for about $269 USD
plus ship for 1000/ft.
add 4 connectors and a reel to wind it up on and you are ready for action.