Posted to rec.audio.tech
mweb

Default pioneer power transformer

Hi all. I hope I'm at the right place.

I have a salvaged power transformer from a Pioneer SX-1010, I have the
secondaries figured out but need some help with the primary leads.

black, red, yellow, brown and blue, which one is common and which color
is for what input voltage, thanks in advance Mark....

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"mweb" wrote in message ...
Hi all. I hope I'm at the right place.

I have a salvaged power transformer from a Pioneer SX-1010, I have the
secondaries figured out but need some help with the primary leads.

black, red, yellow, brown and blue, which one is common and which color
is for what input voltage, thanks in advance Mark....

Get an ohm meter and figure out which ones are actually connected together.

It's almost a sure thing that there are two pairs of wires that are each
connected together. Determine what those pairs are.

This is probably a 120/240 transformer. Use the windings in series for 240
and in parallel for 120.

The challenging part is figuring out what polarity to use when hooking the
primary windings up.

Hook the windings in series and measure the voltage on one of the secondary.
The secondary voltage will either be appropriate, half what it should be,
or inappropriately very low low. Avoid using the primary connections that
yield very inappropriately low voltages on the secondary winding(s).

Once you've figures out the right polarities of the wires, use the
appropriate series or parallel connection, depending on what the line
voltages are where you are.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"mweb" wrote in message
Hi all. I hope I'm at the right place.

I have a salvaged power transformer from a Pioneer SX-1010, I have the
secondaries figured out but need some help with the primary leads.

black, red, yellow, brown and blue, which one is common and which color
is for what input voltage, thanks in advance Mark....

Get an ohm meter and figure out which ones are actually connected
together.

It's almost a sure thing that there are two pairs of wires that are each
connected together. Determine what those pairs are.

This is probably a 120/240 transformer. Use the windings in series for 240
and in parallel for 120.

If there were 3 or 4 wires for the primary, that would be straightforward.
What do you figure the 5th one is for?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

. ..

"mweb" wrote in message
Hi all. I hope I'm at the right place.

I have a salvaged power transformer from a Pioneer SX-1010, I have the
secondaries figured out but need some help with the primary leads.

black, red, yellow, brown and blue, which one is common and which color
is for what input voltage, thanks in advance Mark....

Get an ohm meter and figure out which ones are actually connected
together.

It's almost a sure thing that there are two pairs of wires that are each
connected together. Determine what those pairs are.

This is probably a 120/240 transformer. Use the windings in series for
240 and in parallel for 120.

If there were 3 or 4 wires for the primary, that would be straightforward.
What do you figure the 5th one is for?

An electrostatic shield?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

If there were 3 or 4 wires for the primary, that would be
straightforward. What do you figure the 5th one is for?

An electrostatic shield?

Good point! In that case it won't have continuity to any of the others, and
it should be grounded. Right?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"mc" wrote in message
. ..
If there were 3 or 4 wires for the primary, that would be
straightforward. What do you figure the 5th one is for?

An electrostatic shield?

Good point! In that case it won't have continuity to any of the others,

Agreed.

and it should be grounded. Right?

Yes, its supposed to be hooked to chassis ground.

here is how firewire ports fail George Pro Audio 13 September 11th 04 09:11 PM
Xfr testing west Vacuum Tubes 11 January 16th 04 12:12 AM
Building a circuit with no power transformer ? James Nash Pro Audio 17 October 23rd 03 05:15 PM
Question about Low DCR power transformer for filament supply Tube747 Vacuum Tubes 8 July 26th 03 08:47 AM