u235vu239 u235vu239 is offline
Junior Member

Default Belt Vs Direct - Pre-amps

I know you must've heard this a 1000 times, but what is best at low prices: a belt or a direct drive turntable?
And what does a "normal" amplifier need in order to be used as a pre?

Thanks in advanced
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tim Schwartz

u235vu239 wrote:
I know you must've heard this a 1000 times, but what is best at low
prices: a belt or a direct drive turntable?
And what does a "normal" amplifier need in order to be used as a pre?

Thanks in advanced

Well,

A 'normal' amplifier needs to have an RIAA equalized phono input, for a
'normal' turntable. However, since fewer and fewer new amps have a
phono input, some turntables now have a built in phono preamp and can be
connected to the same inputs (CD, AUX, TAPE, etc.) as most other
components. There are also external phono preamps available running
from $30 (US) to $thousands.

While I don't think either belt or direct drive is inherently better, I
would think in a cheap product a belt drive would be easier to do. I'd
worry about the quality of the tonearm and cartridge first.

I would likely choose a used Dual or Technics (among other brands)
turntable over some of the new junk that is out there today, but it
depends on your definition of cheap.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
u235vu239 u235vu239 is offline
Junior Member

Thanks. I was looking at rega turntables. Are they really worth the price? And what about lenco?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tim Schwartz

u235vu239 wrote:
Thanks. I was looking at rega turntables. Are they really worth the
price? And what about lenco?

Hello,

I've heard that Rega turntables have a good reputation, but I've no
experience with them. Audiophile Systems (www.aslgroup.com) imports
Nottingham another British turntable. I know Audiophile systems, but I
don't have any experience with the Nottingham either. Music Hall
(www.musichallaudio.com), also have some turntables that I've had no
experience with.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"u235vu239" wrote in message

I know you must've heard this a 1000 times, but what is best at low
prices: a belt or a direct drive turntable?

Depends what you call a low price.

I think that at the lowest prices, belt drive has better price-performance.

And what does a "normal" amplifier need in order to be used as a pre?

What's a "normal" amplifier - more details please?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"u235vu239" wrote in message

Thanks. I was looking at rega turntables. Are they really worth the
price?

I've got one. It's OK

And what about Lenco?

I've had one - it wasn't OK.

u235vu239 u235vu239 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arny Krueger
I consider my amplifier a normal one: pioneer stereo amplifier SA-408, pretty similar to the SA-410, I think.
It doesn't have pre outputs, so I guess it couldn't work as a pre, right?
u235vu239 u235vu239 is offline
Junior Member

Hello. And what about a Elac turntable?

Thanks