Gravity

Default Rockford Fosgate: quality or crap?

Fosgate used to be reputable. Used to be one of the best. As of lately
they've gone downhill fast.

:-D I just cut the cheese!
"Steve Grauman" wrote in message
I want to use Alpine's Type X speakers with my new Eclipse headunit,

hopefully,
the SPX-F17T 3-way system. This particular speaker setup can handle 75

watts
per channel of RMS power, and I've been told that it's a good idea to get

an
amp that's slightly more powerful than what your speakers can handle, that

way
the gains can stay low, and there's less chance of damage to the amp.

Alpine's
MRV-F540 was a runner up, but at 12 volts (what I assume my car will be

giving
the amp while it is running), it's power drops to 50x4, short of what I'm
looking for. JL Audio's 300/4 was reccomended to me, but with 75x4 of RMS
power, it's only just barely powerful enough, and I'd probably need to

keep
it's gains turned all the way up. I noticed that Rockford has an amp in

their
Power Series that's rated at 110x4 @ 4 OHMS. Even if this output was rated

at
14 volts, I have to assume that an amp this powerful could clear 80 watts

or
more per channel with a 12 volt input. But I'm concerned that Rockford is

crap,
mainly because I only see low-end retail stores like Best Buy selling it.

Is
there a concensus on RF products?

THX

RF still makes great amps but admittedly you can do better for the
money. Look at the Phoenix Gold Tantrum line. But if you have the
money RF still makes clean, solid amps. You just pay a premium for the
name and looks.
--
THX
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=156648

Steve Grauman

errr... who knows about that... but usually my car puts out the usual 14.4
volts. do u have a volt meter on your dash?

No, I've just got to assume that my car is only going to be giving 12 volts. If
I assume that my car will supply 14, and it falls short, then I'm not actually
getting the power I want/need.
Steve Grauman

RF still makes great amps but admittedly you can do better for the
money. Look at the Phoenix Gold Tantrum line. But if you have the
money RF still makes clean, solid amps. You just pay a premium for the
name and looks.

I'll have to look into PG, although I'm not sure they make an amp powerful
enough for my application. What're the differences between the Tantrum and
Titanium lines?

Steve Grauman

I would take the JL
amp though. It's only rated for 75 per like you said but it does
considerably more. If you set the gains as outlined in the JL manual then
you'll be fine. I have a 300/4 and it produces more than enough power.

If I knew that the JL could make a clean 80 to 85 watts per channel RMS @ 4
OHMS from a 12 volt input, I'd just take it.
Mark Zarella

Care to eloborate Mark? It's hard for me to make a judgement call when one
person simply says "this is crap" and another says "no, it isn't".

I don't think you'll get much more than that. Nevermind I said anything.

Bunghole

Rusted Fuzzgate? Maybe it's just my experience... Only amplifier I
owned that died on me... Your mileage may vary...

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:04:40 GMT, "Mark Zarella"
wrote:

Fosgate used to be reputable. Used to be one of the best. As of lately
they've gone downhill fast.

This is a load of crap. Thanks for playing. Troll elsewhere.

Steve Grauman

It's too vague
to be properly answered anyway.

How much more specific should I/can I be? The only way I could get any more
specific would be to ask about the *exact* amp I'm looking at. But than the
field of people answereing my post would narrow a great deal, if not dissappear
completely, because the title of the post itself would chase off anyone who
hasn't used that exact amp.
Paul Vina

You asked if RF in general was crap. Maybe you should ask about their amps.
I personally can't stand their new subs, but I think their amps are still
fine, especially their Power series amps.

Paul Vina

"Steve Grauman" wrote in message
It's too vague
to be properly answered anyway.

How much more specific should I/can I be? The only way I could get any

more
specific would be to ask about the *exact* amp I'm looking at. But than

the
field of people answereing my post would narrow a great deal, if not

dissappear
completely, because the title of the post itself would chase off anyone

who
hasn't used that exact amp.

Mark Zarella

How much more specific should I/can I be? The only way I could get any
more
specific would be to ask about the *exact* amp I'm looking at. But than

the
field of people answereing my post would narrow a great deal, if not

dissappear
completely, because the title of the post itself would chase off anyone

who
hasn't used that exact amp.

Are they any good?

Well, good is a relative term. What do you mean? What do you want it to do
for you? All amplifirs will amplify the signal correctly. The key is to
get it to amplify it enough for your use. That can be achieved by getting
bigger amplifiers.

Are you talking about reliability?

Are you talking about features and add-ons?

Are you talking about looks?

Are you talking about ease of installation?

Are you talking about the irrelevant numbers that it'll put on a scope?

Are you talking about price?

It's impossible to answer your question unless you're more specific.

Steve Grauman

Are you talking about reliability?

Are you talking about features and add-ons?

Are you talking about looks?

Are you talking about ease of installation?

Are you talking about the irrelevant numbers that it'll put on a scope?

Are you talking about price?

It's impossible to answer your question unless you're more specific

I want an amp that can power speakers rated for 75 watts of RMS power without
clipping, burning up, or doing anything else that will damage it, or any other
part of my car. I want an amp with some headroom so I don't need the gains
turned all the way up, and I don't have to worry about this crap happening. But
I thought I covered all that already. I obviousy wasn't asking about speakers,
subwoofers, or caps, my question was directed towards amps.
Paul Vina

I'm not too impressed by their subs. They have very tight suspensions
made for tiny enclosures. It really drags down the low frequency
efficiency.

The suspension doesn't really hurt low end extension, it just means you need
to go with a vented design as opposed to sealed. Low end extension will not
be a problem in a car.

Paul Vina

Mark Zarella

How about stuff like:
Do RF amps have a reputation for poor build quality?

Nope.

Are there any problems, major or minor that RF amps regularly suffer from?

Nope.

Is there a better amp for about the same money?

How much?

Will I gain anything in terms of *audible* sound quality or reliability by
going to a different/more expensive amp?

A bigger amp may sound better if you'll be driving this one into clipping.
That's a matter of your personal use mostly - something I don't have insight
into. If not, then you won't gain anything by going with another amp.

geto van

I just went all out today and got 2 rockford HE2 12's, the rf cap and
1500 wat amp... all for pretty damn cheap.. this is my first real
setup... i havent installed yet.. thats tomorow, but please tell me
rockfords not crap
--
geto van
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=156648

Onyi C. Ejiasa

Pyramid, Jensen, Rockwood, etc. have been around for quite some time also.
Also, Rockford does indeed have a reputation, and this is the same
reputation they can ride when selling lower quality products...

Onyi C. Ejiasa - NWT, NCW, NCLA
[[[[[ Vote For My Install on Sounddomain ]]]]]
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/blaqaltima
Questions + Advice -
"Paul Vina" wrote in message
RF wouldn't have been around for 25 years or so and have the rep they do

if
they built crap. Jeez.

Paul Vina

"geto van" wrote in message
s.com...
I just went all out today and got 2 rockford HE2 12's, the rf cap and
1500 wat amp... all for pretty damn cheap.. this is my first real
setup... i havent installed yet.. thats tomorow, but please tell me
rockfords not crap
--
geto van
View this thread:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=156648

Mark Zarella

Pyramid, Jensen, Rockwood, etc. have been around for quite some time also.

So? Jensen was the pioneer of audio in many aspects. Pyramid makes some
very affordfable relatively decent electronics. Rockwood doesn't make
anything worthwhile or cost effective, which may go to explain why they're
not nearly the size of the two other companies.

Also, Rockford does indeed have a reputation, and this is the same
reputation they can ride when selling lower quality products...

What lower quality products?

Brandon Buckner

I took it to mean their low-end versus their high-end lines. Like the
RFZs or the older Series 1 subs versus stuff like the Team RF or RFDs or
HX2 lines. I believe the HEs and HE2s are about their mid-lines. The
Series 1 subs were crap, fell apart all the time and were easily blown,
while their higher end stuff rocked and were very sturdy.

"CD Quality" MP3 Andy Fish General 2 May 5th 04 01:29 PM
Anyone who repairs Soundstream or Rockford Fosgate amps -- get back to me, I got an offer you can't refuse! DutchGuy General 0 April 7th 04 09:39 AM
Help! Looking for a quality system with alarm/sleep timer capabilities. Kim Buttleman General 0 February 19th 04 07:58 PM
turning gains up on old rockford amp habibe99 Car Audio 3 September 1st 03 06:12 AM
pioneer or rockford FHLH002 Car Audio 0 July 1st 03 01:55 PM