t fitzgerald

Default Help! Retrieving Deleted Protools Files

I made a mistake and threw away a needed Protools session and emptied
the trash. I need only the audio files which are SDII files as I had a
copy of the session file. The song was about 4 minutes and had about 16
tracks. Protools HD3 on a Mac G4 recorded to firewire that has not been
recorded on since I emptied the trash. I did many searches on Deja,
Yahoo, Digidesign group etc. Not much on this topic to be found. I have
Norton and Tech Tool Pro and searched their sites. I did not have on any
of the undelete functions of these programs on as they seem to conflict
with Protools. Does anyone else have an undelete program running when
using Protools on a Mac?
I scan the drive looking for deleted files. There are a few different
ways to do this and the best way for my situation is unclear.
Unfortunately the drive is our biggest a 156Gig and it takes hours for
the searches. I have found a few of the audio files needed but it has
taken 16 hours of searching for about 1 minute of 3 tracks.
We have recut the tracks for the song as I wasn't getting anywhere
with trying to retrieve the old ones. I do want to research this though
in case it ever happens in the future. I have retrieved files from SCSI
drives when I threw away actual Sound Designer program material in the
past and had good luck. The drives were only 8 Gig or so. I think I used
Norton. Firewire seems to be a different animal.
If anyone has had any experiences or knowledge that would help me
please let me know. Thanks Todd

Todd Fitzgerald
Chief Engineer
OarFin Studios Minneapolis
www.oarfinrecords.com

Jay - atldigi

It was a few years ago, but I was able to recover some things for a
mixer that eroneously deleted pro tools files using software called
D.R.T. (Data Recovery Toolkit). A Mac tech friend of mine had been using
it for recovering data from damaged drives for his business clients. I
don't know it it's still available, kept current, or has been eclipsed
by now, but at the time nothing else worked and D.R.T. saved the day.

--
Jay Frigoletto
Mastersuite

Justin Ulysses Morse

t fitzgerald wrote:

I made a mistake and threw away a needed Protools session and emptied
the trash.

Todd,

Don't boot the drive again until you have your solution ready. You
don't want little system files landing on the "free" blocks where your
audio data is secretly waiting. If you get desperate, call up On Track
http://www.ontrack.com at 952-937-5161. They're local and they
specialize in exactly this kind of work. They can even recover data
off of a physically broken drive (as a friend of mine will be asking
them to do this week). Your job will be a whole lot easier than that,
but you should still be prepared to pay an insane amount of money for
the service. You might want to call them first and get a quote before
you take any pot shots with shareware solutions. Depending on how
important this data is to you and your business.

ulysses

Tom Hartman

Todd Fitzgerald
Chief Engineer
OarFin Studios Minneapolis
www.oarfinrecords.com

Go Hehttp://www.prosoftengineering.com/index.php

Data Rescue. It works. I did the same thing with a project and it
saved my rear end. Got all files back. It's real good, and the company
is very supportive.
Tom Hartman

Todd Fitzgerald
Chief Engineer
OarFin Studios Minneapolis
www.oarfinrecords.com

Go Hehttp://www.prosoftengineering.com/index.php

Data Rescue. It works. I did the same thing with a project and it
saved my rear end. Got all files back. It's real good, and the company
is very supportive.

ProTools or Cool Edit ? ? ? IS Pro Audio 34 December 27th 04 07:05 PM
Extracting audio metadata Gaz General 2 October 27th 03 04:28 PM
FA; Custom ProTools panel with wiring harness Adam Pro Audio 0 August 25th 03 11:26 PM
Protools: 16 bit files in 24 bit session. Joe Bartoldus Pro Audio 5 July 31st 03 04:30 PM
making protools HD mac files work on a PC justin pizzoferrato Pro Audio 2 July 21st 03 09:52 PM