Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] tpr712@gmail.com is offline

Default Low cost home ambient sound system

Hi.
How would you implement low cost home ambient system? I want to have
the same sound in each room of my home, and the sound should be
gentle, quiet. For that reason the solution should be based on
multiple loudspeakers, placed in each room. True?

I remember that in one of hotels that I used, I had a radio placed in
corner of my room. It was the most extreme position of whole hotel
space. I observed that I was able to play ambient music and gently
hear it
in all lodgings from that one radio. So maybe the position of audio
source is important?

--
Regards,
Adam

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On May 3, 8:11*pm, wrote:
Hi.
How would you implement low cost home ambient system? I want to have
the same sound in each room of my home, and the sound should be
gentle, quiet. For that reason the solution should be based on
multiple loudspeakers, placed in each room. True?

I remember that in one of hotels that I used, I had a radio placed in
corner of my room. It was the most extreme position of whole hotel
space. I observed that I was able to play ambient music and gently
hear it
in all lodgings from that one radio. So maybe the position of audio
source is important?

--
Regards,
Adam

I am going to make a heretical suggestion.

Purchase one decent FM-stereo Part-15 compliant whole-house
transmitter. There are many out there, but I am inclined towards the
Ramsey FM100B as it is quite flexible, user-friendly, works extremely
well and is a kit - I like kits.

Purchase whatever sort of sound system you want for each room you
want. This could be something like a Tivoli radio for a small room to
a full-blown stereo with a receiver or tuner in your main listening
area. Or a boom-box for your yard, patio or balcony, even a walkman FM
tuner for walking around the neighborhood. The Ramsey has a good 2-
block radius if you use the outside antenna placed at a typical roof
level.

Point being that placement becomes infinitely flexible and regret-
free.

Feed the transmitter from whatever source you choose - your computer,
MP3 player, CD player/changer, even an AM tuner if you want the ball-
games, or something like the Grundig Satellit 700 if you want
shortwave.

There you go.

Now, the additional virtue of this system is that you *ALSO* may
listen to something different in each room - not possible with a
central hard-wired system.

I keep the Ramsey and also an SSTRAN AMT-3000 (for AM) fed from a 200
disc CD changer through a Revox A720 tuner-pre-amp (I can accomodate
multiple sources this way). I can make the same noise through the old
radio collection as the stereos, or the KLH 21, or the Grundig -
whatever I want in whichever room.

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi...ion&key=FM100B

http://www.sstran.com/

Both transmitters cover their entire respective bands, so finding an
open frequency will not be an issue ( www.radiolocater.com will
help determine them).

BUT, there are several other options available, some at a lower cost.
My experience along these lines is that one gets what one pays for. So
that will be your decision. If you have a small house or apartment,
you will have no need for the most sophisticated transmitters.

Enjoy.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
photon photon is offline

Depends on what you mean by low cost. I've got several Slim Devices
(Logitec) Squeezeboxes for streaming music throughout the house. They
can be sync'd to play the same music or play separately. You get
internet radio and access to all music stored on your computer.
http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html