Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default Best speaker under $1000/Pair

I'm curious what speakers people would recommend under $1000/pair.

These don't have to be current. If JBL L-100s are your thing they'd
qualify (I'm no fan of most JBL products, I'm just saying A/D/S or
other vintage designs qualify).

My personal take is that any good designer should be able to get good
sound on a "cost is no object" basis. What's interesting is the
compromises made to get the best sound possible for a reasonable cost.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote:

I'm curious what speakers people would recommend under $1000/pair.

These don't have to be current. If JBL L-100s are your thing they'd
qualify (I'm no fan of most JBL products, I'm just saying A/D/S or
other vintage designs qualify).

My personal take is that any good designer should be able to get good
sound on a "cost is no object" basis. What's interesting is the
compromises made to get the best sound possible for a reasonable cost.

I'm a little out of the market but to get the ball rolling I'd suggest
PSB, NHT and Magnepan.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote:

I'm curious what speakers people would recommend under $1000/pair.

These don't have to be current. If JBL L-100s are your thing they'd
qualify (I'm no fan of most JBL products, I'm just saying A/D/S or
other vintage designs qualify).

My personal take is that any good designer should be able to get good
sound on a "cost is no object" basis. What's interesting is the
compromises made to get the best sound possible for a reasonable cost.

Vandersteen 1C
Magnaplaner MMG
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On May 16, 11:34*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,
*"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote:

I'm curious what speakers people would recommend under $1000/pair.

These don't have to be current. If JBL L-100s are your thing they'd
qualify (I'm no fan of most JBL products, I'm just saying A/D/S or
other vintage designs qualify).

My personal take is that any good designer should be able to get good
sound on a "cost is no object" basis. What's interesting is the
compromises made to get the best sound possible for a reasonable cost.

Vandersteen 1C
Magnaplaner MMG

or used Vandersteen 2ce instead of new Vandersteen 1c, at
approximately the same cost
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On May 16, 10:25*pm, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
I'm curious what speakers people would recommend under $1000/pair.

These don't have to be current. If JBL L-100s are your thing they'd
qualify (I'm no fan of most JBL products, I'm just saying A/D/S or
other vintage designs qualify).

My personal take is that any good designer should be able to get good
sound on a "cost is no object" basis. What's interesting is the
compromises made to get the best sound possible for a reasonable cost.

The Vandersteen 1Cs are definitely one of the best. Both AV123 and
Aperion Audio produce some outstanding sound at that price if you
don't mind American-designed, Chinese-built products. And Paradigm and
PSB are in the running if you don't mind a slightly lean sound
(especially with Paradigm).

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,

wrote:
I'm curious what speakers people would recommend under $1000/pair.

These don't have to be current. If JBL L-100s are your thing they'd
qualify (I'm no fan of most JBL products, I'm just saying A/D/S or
other vintage designs qualify).

My personal take is that any good designer should be able to get good
sound on a "cost is no object" basis. What's interesting is the
compromises made to get the best sound possible for a reasonable cost.

The Vandersteen 1Cs are definitely one of the best.

Indeed. I think that they are one of the best I've heard for the money.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On May 18, 12:50*am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
I'm curious what speakers people would recommend under $1000/pair.

These don't have to be current. If JBL L-100s are your thing they'd
qualify (I'm no fan of most JBL products, I'm just saying A/D/S or
other vintage designs qualify).

My personal take is that any good designer should be able to get good
sound on a "cost is no object" basis. What's interesting is the
compromises made to get the best sound possible for a reasonable cost..

The Vandersteen 1Cs are definitely one of the best.

Indeed. *I think that they are one of the best I've heard for the money..

I have four of them for my tv surround system
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On May 18, 7:36*am, Clyde Slick wrote:
On May 18, 12:50*am, Jenn wrote:

In article
,

wrote:
I'm curious what speakers people would recommend under $1000/pair.

These don't have to be current. If JBL L-100s are your thing they'd
qualify (I'm no fan of most JBL products, I'm just saying A/D/S or
other vintage designs qualify).

My personal take is that any good designer should be able to get good
sound on a "cost is no object" basis. What's interesting is the
compromises made to get the best sound possible for a reasonable cost.

The Vandersteen 1Cs are definitely one of the best.

Indeed. *I think that they are one of the best I've heard for the money.

I have four of them for my tv surround system.

Cool. Are you still using Vandersteen 3s for your main system?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On May 18, 10:55*am, hophead wrote:
In article 08460205-08b0-481b-88e4-0ac4a53f1467
@q8g2000vbm.googlegroups.com, says...

The Vandersteen 1Cs are definitely one of the best. Both AV123 and
Aperion Audio produce some outstanding sound at that price if you
don't mind American-designed, Chinese-built products. And Paradigm and
PSB are in the running if you don't mind a slightly lean sound
(especially with Paradigm).

All good selections, but I'd not purchase from AV123 these days. You
might not know the recent developments there, but the company (and the
owner) are currently in a heap of legal and business trouble. There are
a few web sites that have chronicled the downfall of Mark Shifter, and
it's not a pretty picture.

Wow. I didn't know that.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On May 18, 10:55*am, hophead wrote:
In article 08460205-08b0-481b-88e4-0ac4a53f1467
@q8g2000vbm.googlegroups.com, says...

The Vandersteen 1Cs are definitely one of the best. Both AV123 and
Aperion Audio produce some outstanding sound at that price if you
don't mind American-designed, Chinese-built products. And Paradigm and
PSB are in the running if you don't mind a slightly lean sound
(especially with Paradigm).

All good selections, but I'd not purchase from AV123 these days. You
might not know the recent developments there, but the company (and the
owner) are currently in a heap of legal and business trouble. There are
a few web sites that have chronicled the downfall of Mark Shifter, and
it's not a pretty picture.

Just checked it out. That's too bad...they made decent speakers. I
even met Mark Schifter once, seemed like a nice enough person. Then
again, I know some very juicy secrets about the High End...
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On May 18, 11:05*am, Boon wrote:
On May 18, 7:36*am, Clyde Slick wrote:

On May 18, 12:50*am, Jenn wrote:

In article
,

wrote:
I'm curious what speakers people would recommend under $1000/pair..

These don't have to be current. If JBL L-100s are your thing they'd
qualify (I'm no fan of most JBL products, I'm just saying A/D/S or
other vintage designs qualify).

My personal take is that any good designer should be able to get good
sound on a "cost is no object" basis. What's interesting is the
compromises made to get the best sound possible for a reasonable cost.

The Vandersteen 1Cs are definitely one of the best.

Indeed. *I think that they are one of the best I've heard for the money.

I have four of them for my tv surround system.

Cool. Are you still using Vandersteen 3s for your main system?

no, Vanderdsteen 4's
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On May 18, 3:17*pm, Clyde Slick wrote:
On May 18, 11:05*am, Boon wrote:

On May 18, 7:36*am, Clyde Slick wrote:

On May 18, 12:50*am, Jenn wrote:

In article
,

wrote:
I'm curious what speakers people would recommend under $1000/pair.

These don't have to be current. If JBL L-100s are your thing they'd
qualify (I'm no fan of most JBL products, I'm just saying A/D/S or
other vintage designs qualify).

My personal take is that any good designer should be able to get good
sound on a "cost is no object" basis. What's interesting is the
compromises made to get the best sound possible for a reasonable cost.

The Vandersteen 1Cs are definitely one of the best.

Indeed. *I think that they are one of the best I've heard for the money.

I have four of them for my tv surround system.

Cool. Are you still using Vandersteen 3s for your main system?

no, Vanderdsteen 4's

Did you always have 4s, or did you once have 3s?

Both are great speakers. I heard the 5s a couple of years ago with all-
Nagra equipment and it was an amazing system in every way.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On May 18, 11:05*am, Boon wrote:

On May 18, 7:36*am, Clyde Slick wrote:

On May 18, 12:50*am, Jenn wrote:

In article
,

wrote:
[...]

never had 3's, had 2ce's before the 4's

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

On May 16, 10:34*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article

My personal take is that any good designer should be able to get good
sound on a "cost is no object" basis. What's interesting is the
compromises made to get the best sound possible for a reasonable cost.

Vandersteen 1C
Magnaplaner MMG

If one really wants dipoles, I think electrostats are a better way to
go.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
Bret L wrote:

On May 16, 10:34*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article

My personal take is that any good designer should be able to get good
sound on a "cost is no object" basis. What's interesting is the
compromises made to get the best sound possible for a reasonable cost.

Vandersteen 1C
Magnaplaner MMG

If one really wants dipoles, I think electrostats are a better way to
go.

Which, then, would you recommend for under $1000?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

On May 18, 9:06*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,
*Bret L wrote:

On May 16, 10:34*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article

My personal take is that any good designer should be able to get good
sound on a "cost is no object" basis. What's interesting is the
compromises made to get the best sound possible for a reasonable cost.

Vandersteen 1C
Magnaplaner MMG

*If one really wants dipoles, I think electrostats are a better way to
go.

Which, then, would you recommend for under $1000?

Being into horns I really haven't followed the market. There are some
DIY/ kit options for su I think good used Quads are a little (or a
lot) over that. You'd have to search Audiogon.

You'd think someone would just copy the ESL 57, but noooo...
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
Bret L wrote:

On May 18, 9:06*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,
*Bret L wrote:

On May 16, 10:34*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article

My personal take is that any good designer should be able to get good
sound on a "cost is no object" basis. What's interesting is the
compromises made to get the best sound possible for a reasonable cost.

Vandersteen 1C
Magnaplaner MMG

*If one really wants dipoles, I think electrostats are a better way to
go.

Which, then, would you recommend for under $1000?

Being into horns I really haven't followed the market. There are some
DIY/ kit options for su I think good used Quads are a little (or a
lot) over that. You'd have to search Audiogon.

ESL 63s in good shape tend to be about $1500 used, thus out of the price
range.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
I'm curious what speakers people would recommend under $1000/pair.

These don't have to be current. If JBL L-100s are your thing they'd
qualify (I'm no fan of most JBL products, I'm just saying A/D/S or
other vintage designs qualify).

My personal take is that any good designer should be able to get good
sound on a "cost is no object" basis. What's interesting is the
compromises made to get the best sound possible for a reasonable cost.

The Vandersteen 1Cs are definitely one of the best. Both AV123 and
Aperion Audio produce some outstanding sound at that price if you
don't mind American-designed, Chinese-built products. And Paradigm and
PSB are in the running if you don't mind a slightly lean sound
(especially with Paradigm).

What do you think about NHT VT-1.2s?

I don't see any Vandys for sale where I am right now and I need to
build a reasonable stereo in a hurry.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On May 18, 8:25*pm, Bret L wrote:
On May 16, 10:34*pm, Jenn wrote:

In article

My personal take is that any good designer should be able to get good
sound on a "cost is no object" basis. What's interesting is the
compromises made to get the best sound possible for a reasonable cost..

Vandersteen 1C
Magnaplaner MMG

*If one really wants dipoles, I think electrostats are a better way to
go.

For under $1000? Do tell.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On May 18, 10:17*pm, Bret L wrote:
On May 18, 9:06*pm, Jenn wrote:

In article
,
*Bret L wrote:

On May 16, 10:34*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article

My personal take is that any good designer should be able to get good
sound on a "cost is no object" basis. What's interesting is the
compromises made to get the best sound possible for a reasonable cost.

Vandersteen 1C
Magnaplaner MMG

*If one really wants dipoles, I think electrostats are a better way to
go.

Which, then, would you recommend for under $1000?

*Being into horns I really haven't followed the market. There are some
DIY/ kit options for su I think good used Quads are a little (or a
lot) *over that. You'd have to search Audiogon.

There are DIYs, but they're a lot of work. Someone who asks for a
great sub-$1000 speaker isn't looking for a DIY electrostatic kit.

A good pair of 57s or 63s are a lot more. Plus buying used Quads is
risky.

*You'd think someone would just copy the ESL 57, but noooo...

It's been done. And not for under $1000.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

wrote:
[...]

I haven't heard NHTs for a while, but they were always decent.

Then again, Arny owns NHT. Do you want that mojo?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On May 19, 9:01*am, Boon wrote:
On May 19, 2:07*am, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"

What do you think about NHT VT-1.2s?

I don't see any Vandys for sale where I am right now and I need to
build a reasonable stereo in a hurry.

I haven't heard NHTs for a while, but they were always decent.

Then again, Arny owns NHT. Do you want that mojo?

He claims to own some LPs too. I won't stop listening to LPs simply
because a crazy person does.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On May 19, 1:49�pm, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
On May 19, 9:01�am, Boon wrote:

On May 19, 2:07�am, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
What do you think about NHT VT-1.2s?

I don't see any Vandys for sale where I am right now and I need to
build a reasonable stereo in a hurry.

I haven't heard NHTs for a while, but they were always decent.

Then again, Arny owns NHT. Do you want that mojo?

He claims to own some LPs too. I won't stop listening to LPs simply
because a crazy person does.

Remember Ed Shain? I think he had something to do with NHT at one
point. That cancels out the Arny factor.

Then again, I think they've changed ownership a couple of times, so I
can't vouch for 'em anymore.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

One that would have headed my list about five years ago was the J.M.
Reynaud Twin. I remember it costing $785 a pair, and it was IMO by far
the best sub-$1000 bookshelf speaker out there. The current version
(called the Duet, I think), is up to $1895 a pair. It's still a good
speaker but not the incredible bargain it once was.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Shhhh!!!! I'm Listening to Reason! Shhhh!!!! I'm Listening to Reason! is offline

On May 21, 4:53*pm, hophead wrote:
In article 31382a82-e30d-433b-b682-
,
says...

I'm curious what speakers people would recommend under $1000/pair.

Just to add another possibility for you: PSB Image B6. It's more like
$500.00 so it may be "less" than you are looking for, but it's reviewed
in this months Stereophile and does pretty well both in the subjective
review and the measurements.

I'm considering a pair of Vandersteen 3As or a pair of NHT Classic 4s
that are available locally. The NHTs are right where I want to be and
the Vandys are a couple hundred more, but that's OK.

I'll check out the review though and I appreciate the suggestion.