Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Fed Up Lurker Fed Up Lurker is offline

Default Blu-ray players

"Eiron" wrote in message
Are they cheap enough yet?
Is there a Pioneer universal player with SACD and DVD-A?
What does the forum recommend?

--
Eiron.

I thought I'd throw my ha'penny's worth into the fray before
I abandon these groups again.
It's an audio group and you want a universal player and mention
SACD and DVD-A.
HDMI is sinful for digital audio - see Paul Millers testing, he being
the only one who can test properly and reveal whats going on.

What goes on under the bonnet of a budget universal player?
Again, if you know where to look you'd learn you're unlikely to
get decoding that delivers the wideband capability of SACD etc.

Hi-Def is frequently disappointing in whatever method delivered.
Flat panel displays of any ilk are crap with SD. (Upscaling of SD
is dismal). And even "proper" Hi-Def meterial is not that impressive
when compared to a DVD component feed into a 100hz CRT.

A couple of brand names have been mentioned in this thread,
I have no experiance of the Oppo, I just know it sold quite well
in the states. The other Brand, well it's not Stan Curtis anymore
though I do own one clever upsampling/multi filter option dac,
but my nonos'd saa7350 dac is better*

My quota for timewasting in these groups is being exceeded, I was
only here looking for a link to an Arny recording!

You want universal playback? But BD/HD/Flat Panel displays/HDMI
need to evolve a long way before it all can be termed good.
Keep your budget low. On ebay/gumtree/cash converters you
can grab a bargain from suckers who "upgraded" too quick,
I just had a look and a Sony DVP-NS900, a Technics A-10, and a
samsung BD are up for grabs for a total of £180. You'd get SACD
and DVD-A playback from "proper" and attractive hardware which
will still have a resale value for years, and you can play expensive
and disappointing BD discs via the Samsung into your flat panel thingy
and all for a bargain price. Then sit back and wait until the hardware
OEM's to get it right with HD and BD. (It will be a long wait...)

*Before anyone leaps in about NOS'ing with a 7350, you're doing
it wrong, you fail to run pin 5 to ground - simple!
Ebay and a tenner for a faulty Pioneer CDR. Chosen because back
in the golden days of proper and attractive hardware, PMi tested
and found a true 75ohm imput and a receiver board that added
to producing "bit-for-bit" copies, but any mainstream CDR from
the golden days using a receiver board with yammy or CS chips,
then a Marantz for 12 quid from Croydon cash converters, in
my instance a 72 with a mobo with 7350 and a PSU with
all the required tappings and detachable figure-of-eight for inverting
polarity. Maplins and a fiver for required capacitors, less then 30 quid
and dancing!

Reclocking - Discuss.
(Note to Eiron and UnsteadyKen, I'm going to abandon these groups
again for a while, be back near xmas so I leave you two to get this
subject up and running. Be aware the reclocking brigade can get quite
emotional, sometimes intimidating, frequently wrong.
Just point out to them Stan Vincent got PMi to test back in the 90's
it didn't work then, and it's still a mistake now. Challenge a reclocking
advocate what clock? I kid you not but some are selling it for the pitch
integrity clock! If the master clock - I won't be specific now, but ask
them - with certain successful bitstream cd players that sold by the
truckload, the slow timed roll off in the gentle filtering, wasn't that
dictated by the master clock? Wouldn't reclocking be disasterous with
such cd players?)

Thats 60 minutes and my time is up.
Don't buy a budget universal player.
And if it exists, for Gods sake someone post the link to an Arny recording!

Cheers
John.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On May 15, 7:13*am, "Fed Up Lurker" wrote:

And if it exists, for Gods sake someone post the link to an Arny recording!

Just ask Jenn to record a few licks on her trombone,
"at least" it will be real.
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

A budget universal player will play CDs reasonably well and get you
started on SACDs and DVD-A discs. The next step is an outboard DAC. It
is foolish to spend a lot on a CD player as they are life limited.
Even the "forever players" like the DN951FA Denon and its Harris
Audiometrics counterpart are now unsupported.
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Eiron Eiron is offline

On 17/05/2010 00:59, Bret L wrote:
A budget universal player will play CDs reasonably well and get you
started on SACDs and DVD-A discs. The next step is an outboard DAC.

The next step to what? Russ Andrews, madness and death?

--
Eiron.

car mp3 players mantrid Car Audio 5 February 14th 07 06:24 PM
older CD players (nad 50x, 51x, denon 615/815) vs new cd players - anyone heard both? spronk Audio Opinions 4 November 1st 06 11:43 AM
mp3 players [email protected] High End Audio 21 February 24th 06 09:47 PM
MP3 players? Gravity Car Audio 2 August 27th 03 05:08 PM
Any difference between cheapo CD players and super expensive high end cd players? William Sommerwerck Pro Audio 6 August 4th 03 11:49 AM