Posted to rec.audio.high-end
claus claus is offline

Default OPPO 970HD as a DVD-A or SACD player

I am considering the OPPO 970HD as a SACD or DVD-A player using the optical
output to feed a 96kHz/24bit strem to my outboard D/A decoder and from there
to my audio preamp.

But - after reading the reviews as well as the information on OPPO's support
page (see below) it appears that I will not be able to that since my D/A
decoder (MSB) does not have a HDMI 1.1 input.

Is my understanding correct?
quote-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Q: Why is there no audio output from the coaxial or optical digital audio
port when I play DVD-Audio or SACD discs?
A: The copyright protection feature of the DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD
(SACD) disc format prohibits unprotected digital audio output. Since the
coaxial or optical digital audio output has no copy-protection ability (i.e.
pure audio stream without encryption and authentication), audio from
DVD-Audio or SACD cannot be output via these interfaces. To enjoy high
resolution digital audio from DVD-Audio or SACD discs, please use the
5.1-channel analogue audio output. If your A/V receiver supports HDMI 1.1
(or above) digital audio, you may also use the HDMI port, which has the
required copyright protection mechanism (HDCP)."
-----------------------------------------------------unquote--------------------------------------------------------------

But - to totally confuse me - the Audio Setup Page of the "Advanced Setup
Guide" seems to indicate that if I turn off the HDMI output, I can stream
PCM audio at 96kHz out of the SPDIF output either in a RAW or PCM format.

So what is correct?

Thanks in advance,

Claus

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On 1 Mar 2007 15:23:38 GMT, "claus" wrote:

I am considering the OPPO 970HD as a SACD or DVD-A player using the optical
output to feed a 96kHz/24bit strem to my outboard D/A decoder and from there
to my audio preamp.

But - after reading the reviews as well as the information on OPPO's support
page (see below) it appears that I will not be able to that since my D/A
decoder (MSB) does not have a HDMI 1.1 input.

Is my understanding correct?
quote-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Q: Why is there no audio output from the coaxial or optical digital audio
port when I play DVD-Audio or SACD discs?
A: The copyright protection feature of the DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD
[...]

Both. Turn off HDMI and you can get 24/96 output on S/PDIF from DVD
and 2channel DVD-A. Not SACD and not DVD-A mch. Those are only
available from HDMI (as PCM) or analog outputs.

Kal
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

claus wrote:
I am considering the OPPO 970HD as a SACD or DVD-A player using the optical
output to feed a 96kHz/24bit strem to my outboard D/A decoder and from there
to my audio preamp.

But - after reading the reviews as well as the information on OPPO's support
page (see below) it appears that I will not be able to that since my D/A
decoder (MSB) does not have a HDMI 1.1 input.

Is my understanding correct?

Yes. DVD-A and SACD are only passed digitally via HDMI from the Oppo ,
and that requires HDMI 1.1 at least (DSD is converted to PCM).

Optical output has never been able to pass these formats , due to
copy restrictions.

But - to totally confuse me - the Audio Setup Page of the "Advanced Setup
Guide" seems to indicate that if I turn off the HDMI output, I can stream
PCM audio at 96kHz out of the SPDIF output either in a RAW or PCM format.

RAW vs PCM generally refers to whether a bitstream source (DD or DTS) is
passed as bitstream (raw) or decoded in the player and passed as PCM
(PCM). There are 96khz DTS sources, hence the reference.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"claus" wrote in message
I am considering the OPPO 970HD as a SACD or DVD-A player using the optical
output to feed a 96kHz/24bit strem to my outboard D/A decoder and from
there
to my audio preamp.

But - after reading the reviews as well as the information on OPPO's
support
page (see below) it appears that I will not be able to that since my D/A
decoder (MSB) does not have a HDMI 1.1 input.

Is my understanding correct?
quote-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Q: Why is there no audio output from the coaxial or optical digital audio
port when I play DVD-Audio or SACD discs?
A: The copyright protection feature of the DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD
(SACD) disc format prohibits unprotected digital audio output. Since the
coaxial or optical digital audio output has no copy-protection ability
(i.e.
pure audio stream without encryption and authentication), audio from
DVD-Audio or SACD cannot be output via these interfaces. To enjoy high
resolution digital audio from DVD-Audio or SACD discs, please use the
5.1-channel analogue audio output. If your A/V receiver supports HDMI 1.1
(or above) digital audio, you may also use the HDMI port, which has the
required copyright protection mechanism (HDCP)."
-----------------------------------------------------unquote--------------------------------------------------------------

No DVD-A player will output DVD-A digitally. DVD-A is restricted to analog
output.
No SACD player will output DSD signals digitally except for a few
proprietary systems (player/receiver combonations), which use a form of
ethernet cabling.
A few DVD-V/A players and/or Univsersal Players (apparently the OPPO
included) will output a 96k/24hz PCM stereo signnal via SPDIF)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] Stereophile_Editor@Compuserve.com is offline

On Mar 1, 7:17 pm, "Harry Lavo" wrote:
"claus" wrote in message
No DVD-A player will output DVD-A digitally.
DVD-A is restricted to analog output.

It depends on both the player and the disc. If the player has
a 96kHz-capable S/DIF output ans the producer of a specific
disc has decided to allow an in-the-clear output -- the Hi-Rez
Music Ray Brown "Soular Energy," for example -- you can
feed the 24/96 data to an outboard DAC. However, while the
Oppo will output data with sample rates up to 192kHz from
its digital output when allowed to by the disc, it does truncate
those data to 16 bits. This is discussed in the Stereophile
review of the '970, scheduled to appear in our May issue.

No SACD player will output DSD signals digitally except
for a few proprietary systems (player/receiver
combonations), which use a form of ethernet cabling.

Or FireWire (dCS).

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Simonel Simonel is offline

No DVD-A player will output DVD-A digitally. DVD-A is restricted to analog
output. A few DVD-V/A players and/or Univsersal Players (apparently the OPPO
included) will output a 96k/24hz PCM stereo signnal via SPDIF)

You mean because of the SOFTWARE's copyright protection? I have played
DVD-A's I burned myself through (with DiscWelder) optical out
(Panasonic S55 and Denon 2910 DVD playersDAC1 via SPDIF) without a
problem - Simonel
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
JimC JimC is offline

Harry Lavo wrote:

No DVD-A player will output DVD-A digitally. DVD-A is restricted to analog
output.
No SACD player will output DSD signals digitally except for a few
proprietary systems (player/receiver combonations), which use a form of
ethernet cabling.
A few DVD-V/A players and/or Univsersal Players (apparently the OPPO
included) will output a 96k/24hz PCM stereo signnal via SPDIF)

Could someone list some of the "few proprietary systems" in which SACD
DSD signals are transmitted digitally to a receiver or pre/pro?

What's the general consensus, if any, regarding these proprietary
systems for multi-channel SACD. In general, can you hear any benefit
relative to a player/pre-processor/receiver of comparable price in which
the signal is first converted to analog. (Incidentally, I understand
that it "all depends" on the quality of the selected components. No need
to waste time going over that issue. - I'm just asking for some
generalizations and opinions as to whether such proprietary, digital
systems are worth considering, in view of the current state of the art.

Jim