will mp3 made on NTFS file system play in mp3 players for cars???

Old July 13th 03, 08:24 PM
CapnGimp

Default will mp3 made on NTFS file system play in mp3 players for cars???

I use ntfs file system in Win2k and was about to purchase a head unit
that plays mp3's for my car so i could use all my mp3 cds, then i saw
that some only play DOS format mp3s. Does this mean I have to copy
them in someone elses 'puter and burn 'em before I can use them??? In
addition , I am probably gonna get one on ebay for under 150 bucks as
I R A PO MAN! I have an Audio Art 140.4XE amp that I will be using
from years ago. I know it works great. Just got to start driving again
after an accident that paralyzed me 7 years ago, an can't wait ta use
my mp3s some one let me know quick please <grin> thanks in advance!!
Old July 14th 03, 01:34 AM
Cat Carson

Tom's right. I use Windows 2000 with NTFS. I store my MP3s on an
NTFS-formatted hard disk. When I go to burn a CD, though, the burner program
(Nero is what came with my CD/RW drive; Roxio, Adaptec are other names you
might recognize) reads the files from NTFS and puts 'em on CD in IS09660
format. My Pioneer 5500MP reads 'em just fine.

There's a number of options and extensions to the ISO9660 format--Joliet,
Romeo, Mode 1, Mode 2, multisession, etc. Most MP3 players handle all these
options without any problem.

"TomTom" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> You'll be fine with cd's burned on an NTFS machine.
>
> More specifically I think most head units prefer cd's that are burned in

the
> ISO9660 format. I know my alpine specifies not only the type of cd but

also
> the length of the filename and what characters are allowed. The manual

says
> it will play other cd formats such as Joliet and Romeo but there is no
> guarantee that the file / folder names will display properly.
>
> If I were you I would assume that the only characters you can use in your
> file names are A to Z in all caps, 0 to 9, the _ underscore character, and
> the space character.
>
> The ISO9660 standard says that the maximum nested folder depth is 8
> including the root, file/folder names are limited to 31 characters

including
> the extension.
>
> You can look in your cd-burning software's preferences or options on how

> burn a disc to a specific cd standard (ISO9660, Joliet, Romeo, etc). Also
> look in the help file as it will usually explain these different formats

for