Whirlwind cables ?

Old November 30th 19, 01:46 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Whirlwind cables ?

Are Whirlwind mic cables supposed to be any good ? A client has some
that the sheath appears to have gone slack on, with twist of the
internal pair clearly visible.

The main problem is that there is an open cct in the screen, and it is
NOT at either connector, and there is no obvious damage anywhere else !

They claim to have not been stretched or mis-wound.

Old November 30th 19, 01:56 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

geoff wrote:

-------------

> Are Whirlwind mic cables supposed to be any good ? A client has some
> that the sheath appears to have gone slack on, with twist of the
> internal pair clearly visible.

** Internal pairs are normally twisted round each other, many times per foot.

> The main problem is that there is an open cct in the screen, and it is
> NOT at either connector, and there is no obvious damage anywhere else !
>
> They claim to have not been stretched or mis-wound.

** Well, they would say that - wouldn't they ?

..... Phil

Old November 30th 19, 02:27 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 11/29/2019 7:46 PM, geoff wrote:
> A client has some that the sheath appears to have gone slack on, with
> twist of the internal pair clearly visible.
>
> The main problem is that there is an open cct in the screen, and it is
> NOT at either connector, and there is no obvious damage anywhere else !

That's not normal. Send it back to Whirlwind and I'll bet that unless
the see evidence that it's been run over by a fork lift or something
similar, they'll replace it for free.

Old November 30th 19, 07:50 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 30/11/2019 1:56 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
> geoff wrote:
>
> -------------
>
>> Are Whirlwind mic cables supposed to be any good ? A client has some
>> that the sheath appears to have gone slack on, with twist of the
>> internal pair clearly visible.
>>

> ** Internal pairs are normally twisted round each other, many times per foot.

But not generally extremely visibly from the outside !

>> The main problem is that there is an open cct in the screen, and it is
>> NOT at either connector, and there is no obvious damage anywhere else !
>>
>> They claim to have not been stretched or mis-wound.
>>

> ** Well, they would say that - wouldn't they ?

Broken-screen-wise yes prob ably. But the other thing is the whole
length of 2 cables the same, as if the sheath has somehow degraded. I
suspect it may be a heat thing, usually being stored in a car boot.