Does this look like an authentic film of an actual recording?

Old November 2nd 19, 06:15 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer

Default Does this look like an authentic film of an actual recording?

Does this look to you like the audio is the performance the film is showing? Do the mics look like what would have been used at the time? I sense a shot or two were inserted after being shot separately but generally the sync looks dead-on - for example the melodic guitar lines. Were recordings done without headphones as shown in the film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZf41UudAbI
Old November 2nd 19, 08:27 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

Brassplyer wrote:
--------------------

> Does this look to you like the audio is the performance the film is showing?

** No.

> Do the mics look like what would have been used at the time?

** The vid is from the same time as the original recording.

The famous Aussie "lost sheep song ".

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZf41UudAbI

** The sound is a stereo mix of the original release.

Judith and the guys and are pretty obviously miming.

..... Phil
Old November 2nd 19, 08:52 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer

On Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 3:27:59 AM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:

> ** The sound is a stereo mix of the original release.
>
> Judith and the guys and are pretty obviously miming.

Well, of course the implication is that this *is* the session the release is from.

Does it look like how you would expect the track could have been recorded or would things have been arranged completely differently?
Old November 2nd 19, 12:11 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

Brassplyer wrote:

---------------------
> Phil Allison wrote:
>

> > ** The sound is a stereo mix of the original release.
> >
> > Judith and the guys and are pretty obviously miming.

> Well, of course the implication is that this *is* the session
> the release is from.

** Gotta believe in Santa Clause for that to be true.

> Does it look like how you would expect the track could
> have been recorded or would things have been arranged
> completely differently?

** The vid replicates how the Seekers typically performed on stage.

Their lives shows were very good, almost flawless.

Actual, multi-track studio recording sessions are not like that.

FYI:

this vid from the same ear is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGOvgBLDI4E

My take is that Judith is singing live over a backing track that omits he voice. I know the song well and her vocal sounds to me like a fresh version.

The mysterious, never hit tambourine in the mix is a giveaway.

...... Phil

Old November 2nd 19, 12:43 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/11/2019 6:15 pm, Brassplyer wrote:
> Does this look to you like the audio is the performance the film is showing? Do the mics look like what would have been used at the time? I sense a shot or two were inserted after being shot separately but generally the sync looks dead-on - for example the melodic guitar lines. Were recordings done without headphones as shown in the film?
>

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZf41UudAbI

No real recording would be made in such a corny scenario.

Old November 2nd 19, 02:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

On 02/11/2019 05:15, Brassplyer wrote:
> Does this look to you like the audio is the performance the film is showing? Do the mics look like what would have been used at the time? I sense a shot or two were inserted after being shot separately but generally the sync looks dead-on - for example the melodic guitar lines. Were recordings done without headphones as shown in the film?
>

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZf41UudAbI

It looks like a recent re-scan and re-mix of a promotional film made for
TV at the time of the original release. As such, the performers will
have been miming to a playback of the released track, with takes being
done until the "performance" matched the music or somebody decided
"that's close enough".

The apparent ages and clothes of the performers match the mid 1960s.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old November 2nd 19, 05:42 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_6_]

On Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 12:15:38 AM UTC-5, Brassplyer wrote:
> Does this look to you like the audio is the performance the film is showing? Do the mics look like what would have been used at the time? I sense a shot or two were inserted after being shot separately but generally the sync looks dead-on - for example the melodic guitar lines. Were recordings done without headphones as shown in the film?
>

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZf41UudAbI

From the description:

"The video, which re-created the recording session for a 1968 TV special, has been enhanced and now plays at the correct speed."
Old November 3rd 19, 03:17 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer

On Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 7:11:47 AM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
> Brassplyer wrote:
> >
> > Well, of course the implication is that this *is* the session
> > the release is from.
> >

> ** Gotta believe in Santa Clause for that to be true.

Wait, what *about* Santa Clause??

> The mysterious, never hit tambourine in the mix is a giveaway.

I noticed that but figured it could have been part of a separately recorded rhythm track to keep them locked in.

But the consensus seems to be this wasn't an actual recording session. But yes, I've seen various live videos of them where they were super tight.

Old November 3rd 19, 03:36 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer

I just wondered if it could have been something like this, which is in fact a live performance that was filmed. The mics were strategically placed out of view. It was one of several groups that were filmed for a promotion Goodyear did.

That's Doc Severinsen on trumpet, back before he adopted his more flamboyant outfits. The guitarist leader is a guy named Mike Bryan, he was the least accomplished player but was the financial backer for the group - he owned an auto dealership and was an enthusiastic semi-pro musician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGVHfJcE544

Old November 3rd 19, 03:12 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer

Something I do notice, they obviously are actually performing and the one VU meter is responding in correlation to the the music and the tape player is running. It seems they were recording something.