Comparing two audio interace mice pre's for self noise.

Old November 6th 19, 01:00 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah

Default Comparing two audio interace mice pre's for self noise.

On 11/5/2019 12:26 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
> Tobiah the Nut Case wrote:

A rose by any other name...

> ** LOL wot a ******.

Yep, and I get more action than you.

>> I've been on this list for 20 years or so and never had a
>> complaint.

> ** Congratulations pal - you are sure getting them now to make up for lost time.

Yes your one rebuke has negatively balanced out all of the
benefit I've reaped from this list over the last two decades.

> ** Try reading what I posted over and over till it sinks in.
>
> So far it has run right off you like water of a duck's you know what.
>
> Quack, quack ....

Oh, I get it. "Don't worry about the self-noise of your preamps. Your
quiet mics would overshadow it anyway". My original question was about
testing preamps. You have made assumptions about what my objectives
are, and what my methods are, and as a result, made and ass out of U.

I'm preparing for Foley style work, and asking questions to ensure
that my endeavors are fruitful.

You may now have the last word, as you are the true troll, and I will
feed your class no more. Tarnish my image as you may, you puppet of
a mediocre intellect.

Old November 6th 19, 06:32 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

** Good - maybe you will **** off now.

**You "get" nothing at all - ****heada.

> "Don't worry about the self-noise of your preamps. Your
> quiet mics would overshadow it anyway".

** Without the slightest doubt.

Condenser mics are built to do just that.

> My original question was about testing preamps.
> You have made assumptions about what my objectives
> are,

** Massive lie

- did you mother or father teach you to lie like that?

Maybe you have no idea who your father is?

> I'm preparing for Foley style work, and asking questions to ensure
> that my endeavors are fruitful.

** LOL

Being a stubborn ass will ruin any endeavour.

No need to wish you bad luck - cos you are organising it.

.... Phil

Old November 6th 19, 03:33 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Preamps often have 1/F noise not white noise so the majority of the noise power you will read on a flat meter will be low freq, which will not always be audible.

A better measure of how noisy it _sounds_ would be to use A or some other weighting to make the measurement.

But it is also true, most eletret mics effectively have a built in preamp so I would also do a test with the actual mic you want to use as well as with the terminator.

Old November 6th 19, 11:01 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

wrote:

--------------------------

> Preamps often have 1/F noise not white noise so the majority of
> the noise power you will read on a flat meter will be low freq,
> which will not always be audible.

** Not true a tall.

I measure preamp noise using a 20Hz to 16kHz, 12dB/oct band pass filter to remove the HIGH frequencies that would add many dBs to the reading.

With a 200ohms load resistirm the nosie is very much WHITE !

> A better measure of how noisy it _sounds_ would be to use A or some other weighting to make the measurement.

** A weighting only reduces the reading by maybe 6dB.

Cos the energy is all concentrated at the HIGH end of the range.

Equal amount between 8kHz and 16kHz as for the rest.

> But it is also true, most eletret mics effectively have a built in preamp

** Only "most" ??

> so I would also do a test with the actual mic you want to use as well as with > the terminator.

** Then you are testing the mic and need a TOTALLY silent room.

The folk at Rode use a "silent chamber" - a cast iron sphere the mic goes inside via an air tight door. The room needs to be quiet too to get reliable readings.

...... Phil

..... Phil

Old November 7th 19, 01:55 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah

On 11/5/2019 9:32 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
> Tobiah is a LYINGgPiece of **** wrote:

I apologize to you and the group for being a party
to a conversation that took an ugly turn.

All positive from here out.

Tobiah

Comparing mic noise Tobiah Pro Audio 22 July 16th 17 08:19 PM
Rigidly comparing video/audio Industrial One Tech 4 July 10th 08 07:10 PM
Comparing Echo Gina3G with the following M-Audio products... Mike Schmidt Pro Audio 9 April 12th 05 10:40 PM
Comparing two USB audio devices (M-Audio MobilePre & Alesis Multimix 8USB) jibbidy joe Tech 1 December 28th 04 12:59 AM
M-Audio's Transit USB Digital Audio Interace to standalone? J.A. Tech 2 September 27th 04 09:47 PM