A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter forum » rec.audio » Pro Audio
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Does this look like an authentic film of an actual recording?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old November 4th 19, 04:11 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 457
Default Does this look like an authentic film of an actual recording?

John Williamson wrote:

-------------------------
> Mike Rivers wrote:
>
> > Now here's on that's definitely live, and Mary does a better job that I
> > expected keeping up with Les.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awjTKeS9Wvo
> >

> I was smiling all the way through that. Thanks for linking.
>
>


** I love the comment:

" Cant believe that his parents named him after a guitar "


...... Phil
Ads
  #22  
Old November 4th 19, 04:54 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,546
Default Does this look like an authentic film of an actual recording?

On 4/11/2019 3:05 pm, Brassplyer wrote:

>
>
> I'm making an observation - they're obviously actually singing and playing, the VU meter is moving. Could be they're recording even if it's not what's being heard on the playback.


Given the contrived nature of the clip, the microphones being used, the
performance positions of mics and 'performers', and that the music heard
is pretty much identical to the commercial release(?), I cannot imagine
for one moment that what is being possibly actually performed (and
perhaps recorded, but doubtfully and irrelevant) is what you are
actually hearing.

geoff
  #23  
Old November 4th 19, 08:51 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,660
Default Does this look like an authentic film of an actual recording?

On 04/11/2019 02:05, Brassplyer wrote:

> I'm making an observation - they're obviously actually singing and playing, the VU meter is moving. Could be they're recording even if it's not what's being heard on the playback.
>

Or, the meter is showing the signal that is being played back for the
group to mime to.

Or the tape is playing back, and that's the level on the tape, and
what's happening in the studio has nothing to do with the tape running.

As I said earlier, this clip has all the hallmarks of a promotional
video, or, as has been said, part of a documentary.

Either way, what is being played is not what is heard on the soundtrack.
The mic positions are way off, and Mary's voice doesn't vary in level as
she moves. It was probably shot using a single camera on 16mm or, just
possibly, 35mm film.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
  #24  
Old November 4th 19, 09:59 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 457
Default Does this look like an authentic film of an actual recording?

John Williamson wrote:

-----------------------
>
>
> It was probably shot using a single camera on 16mm or, just
> possibly, 35mm film.
>


** Yes, I checked and the very first colour VTR for pro use was by Ampex in 1964 - the model 2000.

But the Seekers vid shows some tearing in the early moments.

Likely a defect in the replay of some old video copy of the original film.

..... Phil




  #25  
Old November 4th 19, 01:53 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 131
Default Does this look like an authentic film of an actual recording?

On Sunday, November 3, 2019 at 9:51:15 PM UTC-5, Phil Allison wrote:
>
>
> ** **** off to hell you retarded damn troll.



I suppose someone has to be the resident pointlessly uncivil bipolar Lithium case, good on you for stepping up and volunteering.

  #26  
Old November 4th 19, 02:25 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16,656
Default Does this look like an authentic film of an actual recording?

geoff > wrote:
>On 4/11/2019 3:12 am, Brassplyer wrote:
>> Something I do notice, they obviously are actually performing and the one VU meter is responding in correlation to the the music and the tape player is running. It seems they were recording something.

>
>A meter moving does not mean they were recording anything.


As I sadly discovered the first (and only) time I used a DIC brand DAT tape.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
  #27  
Old November 4th 19, 09:44 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,546
Default Does this look like an authentic film of an actual recording?

On 5/11/2019 2:25 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> geoff > wrote:
>> On 4/11/2019 3:12 am, Brassplyer wrote:
>>> Something I do notice, they obviously are actually performing and the one VU meter is responding in correlation to the the music and the tape player is running. It seems they were recording something.

>>
>> A meter moving does not mean they were recording anything.

>
> As I sadly discovered the first (and only) time I used a DIC brand DAT tape.
> --scott
>


Well what sort of person would use a tape brand called DIC ;-?

geoff
  #28  
Old November 5th 19, 03:08 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 69
Default Does this look like an authentic film of an actual recording?

> Well what sort of person would use a tape brand called DIC ;-?
>
> geoff


I have a box of recorded DATs. I think I recall an issue with DIC DATs, but it's lost in the haze. I'll have to wander through that box, if I can find it.

I also have two working Panasonic SV3900 DAT machines and a remote control.

Ty
  #29  
Old November 5th 19, 04:00 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16,656
Default Does this look like an authentic film of an actual recording?

In article >,
Ty Ford > wrote:
> > Well what sort of person would use a tape brand called DIC ;-?
>>

>
>I have a box of recorded DATs. I think I recall an issue with DIC DATs, but it's lost in the haze. I'll have to wander through that box, if I can find it.


The factory was in Norfolk so they turned up locally at good prices, but
they were all bad. All of them.

When the factory shut down I bought a bunch of stuff from them including
lots of 1/2" Precision reels in weird sizes, and they had pallets of DAT
and Exabyte tapes going for very low prices but I did not touch that.

>I also have two working Panasonic SV3900 DAT machines and a remote control.


You could do worse.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
  #30  
Old November 5th 19, 09:45 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,546
Default Does this look like an authentic film of an actual recording?

On 6/11/2019 4:00 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article >,
> Ty Ford > wrote:
>>> Well what sort of person would use a tape brand called DIC ;-?
>>>

>>
>> I have a box of recorded DATs. I think I recall an issue with DIC DATs, but it's lost in the haze. I'll have to wander through that box, if I can find it.

>
> The factory was in Norfolk so they turned up locally at good prices, but
> they were all bad. All of them.


What a bunch of DICks !

Bad mechanically or tape formulation or what ? Or just 'bad'....

geoff

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Preliminary thoughts on film location recording rig Donovan Digital Pro Audio 15 September 6th 10 02:26 PM
Gossip about Film Industry,Film Stars,Their Lives and Lifestyle prajy Vacuum Tubes 0 April 11th 09 06:25 PM
Eclipse "authentic waveform" TD speakers.. Jeffrey Dunnam Audio Opinions 0 May 27th 05 07:09 AM
Recording Audio for Film/Video Neil Rutman Pro Audio 22 November 22nd 04 03:49 PM
Recording Audio for Film/Video Neil Rutman Pro Audio 0 November 21st 04 06:06 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 AudioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.