Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Sydney gal makes good

Hi,

things are quiet here lately, so maybe it's OK for me to celebrate a local lass from the suburbs of Sydney, who has made a bit of name for herself on the world Jazz-Rock music scene.

Some of you may already know her from the "Jeff Beck Band", in particular the "Live at Ronnie Scotts" DVD - she's the short, red haired, teen looking gal playing electric bass - who smiled and pulled striking faces a lot.

Well 12 years on, she is now a seasoned professional who has played with nearly every big name in the business, both live and for recording sessions.

See this live vid of her own band opening a recent gig in Boston for the famous "The Who" rock band - an odd combination I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04W5CMZUHZs

Listen on headphones, if you can - she pretty much plays the ass of that vintage Fender Precision while singing a cool song she wrote.

Who knew she could even sing at all? Waiting till 30 to first record an excellent singing voice is plain weird.

Think I agree with the comment:

" This is what heavy airplay, top 40, pop music would sound like if we lived in a musically literate society. "

Anyhow, for the terminally curious here is an interview with Tal that might satisfy. Her cute accent is half and half - Australian and West Cost.

Here is another fine song, live in a studio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnzK2CTjKDw

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 10/10/2019 2:42 am, Phil Allison wrote:

[...]

Ronnie Sott's, 'A Brush With The Blues' - one of my favorite bass (and
guitar) tracks of all ;- ) And now I know what the really purpose is
for the waist between the upper and lower bouts on a bass !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 10/10/2019 9:11 am, geoff wrote:
On 10/10/2019 2:42 am, Phil Allison wrote:

Ronnie Sott's, 'A Brush With The Blues' - one of my favorite bass (and
guitar) tracks of all ;- )Â* And now I know what the really purpose is
for the waist between the upper and lower bouts on a bass !

geoff

Here 'tis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWHqzM0Dvfs

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

------------

Phil Allison wrote:

Ronnie Sott's, 'A Brush With The Blues' - one of my favorite bass (and
guitar) tracks of all ;- )Â* And now I know what the really purpose is
for the waist between the upper and lower bouts on a bass !

geoff

Here 'tis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWHqzM0Dvfs

** I once had the job of adding a few small mics inside a heavy, acoustic piano accordion - plus doing wiring and fitting a volume pot.

The pretty, blonde British lass who owned and played it was, err, shall we say very well built ?

Made my eyes water when she put it on in front of me.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] stillkickinmusic@gmail.com is offline

On Wednesday, October 9, 2019 at 9:42:09 AM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
[...]

Thanks so much Phil

And here I thought Tal was only an outstanding fusion/jazz/funk bass player. What a voice! And great composition skills with lyrics that have an actual story to tell.

I've not been on these forums in several years, but I recognized your name Phil, and I always respected your knowledge, and now you've introduced me to some superb music, from a very skilled, and talented young lady.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

-------------------------------

----------------------------------

Thanks so much Phil

And here I thought Tal was only an outstanding fusion/jazz/funk bass
player. What a voice! And great composition skills with lyrics that
have an actual story to tell.

I've not been on these forums in several years, but I recognized
your name Phil, and I always respected your knowledge, and now
you've introduced me to some superb music, from a very skilled,
and talented young lady.

** Thanks for the acknowledgement.

And do keep on " kickin' " !

BTW:

The background on her band opening for "The Who" is a tad interesting.

It was all Tal's mad idea - believe it or not she is a fan of the group !!

Pete Townshend was dubious, he feared her music would fail to be appreciated by a Who fan filled audience. But he was mistaken.

I suggest you dot NOT look for live vids of The Who on the current tour.

Cos it's quite sad.

Like once happened with Jimi Hendrix, Pete might have been wise to offer that Tal's band go on afterwards.

..... Phil