Dynaco ST-35, A First

Old September 25th 19, 01:59 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck[_2_]

Default Dynaco ST-35, A First

I keep a Dynaco system in my office consisting of a PAS 3x, FM 3 and an ST 35, and includes a Sony 5-disk CD changer. As it happens the 35 is a first-issue device with the US-made output transformers, and multi-voltage power transformer. The system runs for 9 hours per day, 5 days per week, driving an AR Athena speaker system. Until this morning, all tubes in all three Dynaco components were original Dynaco-marked products, being mostly Mullard and Telefunken.

Well, yesterday, the 35 popped one of the 7247/12DW7 drivers - a fade-to-black in the left channel that followed the driver when I swapped them during the diagnostic process.

After a bit of research, and after learning that this driver consisted of half-a-12AX and half-a-12AU7, and not having the time to search through my tube stash, where I am sure I have several, I decided to try a pair of clear-top RCA 12AU7s from the couple of sleeves I snagged at Kutztown last Saturday ($4 each, NIB). I was warned from the research that the gain would be lower, but that there were no specific hazards in using this option.

I dropped them in this morning, they are singing sweetly as I type. And, yes, I need to increase the volume from the preamp some to get the same volume, but not excessively much. From about 9:00 to about 10:15. Still lots to go.

Note that this is the first failure-in-use of an audio tube I have had in 40 years and thousands of hours in the hobby. Failures at turn-on, sure. But not while under use. Interesting!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old September 28th 19, 05:34 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison[_4_]

Peter Weaky Total ****** wrote:

----------------------------

> After a bit of research, and after learning that this driver consisted of half-a-12AX and half-a-12AU7, and not having the time to search through my tube stash, where I am sure I have several, I decided to try a pair of clear-top RCA 12AU7s from the couple of sleeves I snagged at Kutztown last Saturday ($4 each, NIB). I was warned from the research that the gain would be lower, but that there were no specific hazards in using this option.
>
> I dropped them in this morning, they are singing sweetly as I type. And, yes, I need to increase the volume from the preamp some to get the same volume, but not excessively much. From about 9:00 to about 10:15. Still lots to go.

---------------------------------------

** FFS, the ****** has just thrown away the entire NF loop from his amp.

The "12AX7" half of the 12DW7 input tube is THE main forward gain stage - about 100 times - now it is less than 20.

So the NFB loop, being unable to function, has collapsed allowing the overall voltage gain the amp to drop as well. Add that to the wrong bias conditions and you have an amp working in "limp mode".

Good enough for old Weaky though.

Too lazy to even go through his own tube stash.

...... Phil

Old October 16th 19, 05:30 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck[_2_]

Phil:

I sat on my fingers on this one for a while, but you are such a sad waste of air, food and space, and cannot resist making an utter fool of yourself. I am glad to help the process.

I will lay dollars to Krispy Kremes that you have never touched, seen or operated a Dynaco ST35 in your entire benighted little life. They are not common in the first place. And the odds of one making it to Australia are slim to none. Assuming that unlikely eventuality, the odds of you getting with 100 meters of such a device are equally slim.

As to my tube stash - it consists of several thousand tubes in a closet stored by type. Exotics are 'in the back'. When I have nothing better to do, I will dig down and get to them. Otherwise, I chose to experiment with what is right to-hand. Not a half-bad result, as it happens.

So, go on, keep festering in your own excrement - it seems to suit you.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old October 16th 19, 11:22 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison[_4_]

That Tedious, Geriatric, PITA ****wit Peter Wieck wrote:

> Phil:
>
> I sat on my fingers on this one for a while,

** But not nearly long enough.

> but you are such a sad waste of air, food and space,
> and cannot resist making an utter fool of yourself.
> I am glad to help the process.

** Reposting this ****ing asshole's verbal diarrhoea is not something I am prepared to do.

My criticism, posted above a few weeks back, was 100% valid and more than fair.

Weakey simply has no sensible response, cos none is possible - so posts insane personal abuse instead.

Tells you everything you need to know about his character - or rather his complete lack of it.

Peeeeuuuukkkeee ...

..... Phil

fa dynaco st 70 hydebee Vacuum Tubes 0 October 31st 06 09:48 PM
FS: Dynaco FM3 and FM1 mike Vacuum Tubes 9 March 10th 06 09:49 PM
FA: Dynaco 400 amp AuroraOldRadios Marketplace 0 November 29th 05 07:58 PM
Dynaco Classic Pas Dynaco Classic Pas 2/3 the bench mark preamp tapin Marketplace 0 May 11th 05 01:50 AM
FA: Dynaco SCA-35 M. Smith Marketplace 0 July 6th 03 11:38 PM