Mike

Default Tech: Swapping Sony CDX-805 with Sony CDX 757MX 10 CD Changer

I have a 1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. I purchased it with
an after-market Sony CDX-805 10 disk CD player and JBL header.
Although the changer system works ok with store-bought CDs, it skips
and has problems loading CDR disks with MP3s. I was thinking of
replacing the CDX-805 CD unit with the CDX-757MX, which I read accepts
the CDRs with no problems. My questions are can I simply swap out the
old changer unit with the new one by replacing the three connectors
going to the changer? Or, do I need to re-install the whole thing with
new cables and remote controls? (Also, do I need any special
additional interface unit for this new Sony unit?)

My current changer is mounted with a few sheet metal screws in the
trunk. It has three connectors attached to it: the left channel RCA
jack, the right channel RCA jack, and a black round plug that is VERY
difficult to remove (I'm not sure if this has a special catch to it to
remove...I'll give it a more concerted effort when it is time to
replace the changer). The current set up also has a wired remote unit
that comes out of the dashboard in the front of the car. I also have a
wireless remote control.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike
Todd

Before you spring for a new head unit try recording your MP3s at the slowest speed
possible and see if it can read them then. This is a not uncommon problem. A deck that
just can't read a disc recorded at 48x (or whatever) can read a disc recorded at 4x.

Other times it is simply a matter of trying a different brand of recordable CD. Some decks
can't read certain disc formulations with consistency. That's why CD recorder
manufacturers are coming out with new bioses every few months. They need to keep up with
the newer discs.
--
Todd