Brent McKee

Default Garrard Changer problem

I have an old four speed Garrard Changer -- mid 1970s and pretty
basic, but I don't know the model no. -- and a fondness for 78s.
Problem is that the tone arm will no longer track all the way to the
end of the recorded part of the disc no matter how much weight I add
on. Net result is that whenever I try to play 78s it skips at exactly
the same place for each record. Is there a fix for this or am I SOL
and would find it easier and cheaper to buy a replacement that
works -- if I can find one?

--
Brent McKee

To reply by email, please remove the capital letters (S and N) from
the email address

"If we cease to judge this world, we may find ourselves, very quickly,
in one which is infinitely worse."
- Margaret Atwood

"Nothing is more dangerous than a dogmatic worldview - nothing more
constraining, more blinding to innovation, more destructive of
openness to novelty. "
- Stephen Jay Gould (1941-2002)

Robert Gault

Brent McKee wrote:
I have an old four speed Garrard Changer -- mid 1970s and pretty
basic, but I don't know the model no. -- and a fondness for 78s.
Problem is that the tone arm will no longer track all the way to the
end of the recorded part of the disc no matter how much weight I add
on. Net result is that whenever I try to play 78s it skips at exactly
the same place for each record. Is there a fix for this or am I SOL
and would find it easier and cheaper to buy a replacement that
works -- if I can find one?

Any chance it says "Type A" at the tone arm pivot?

You should turn the changer on its side and manually run it through the
full arm movement to determine what is causing the problem. One
possibility is the arm pick-up mechanism. In any event, you should be
able to spot the source of the problem and might be able to make an
adjustment to correct it.

Brent Hall

I once had a Garrard changer with a similar problem. The mechanism that
the tone arm trips to activate the record changing process was sensitive
to the velocity of the tone arm, so it would only trip when the arm
reached the run-out grooves. This meant that the mechanism started to
bear against the arm well before the end of the record, and when the
lubricant eventually dried out and got sticky, it prevented the arm from
tracking to the end of the record.

If this is the cause of the problem on your changer, there are two
options. One is to clean up the changing mechanism to remove all the
gummy lubricant and apply new. The other is to remove the part of the
mechanism that bears against the arm, so that it will no longer
interfere with the arm's motion; this is what I did, though you have to
play each record manually and forget about using it as a changer.

I hope this helps.

Brent Hall

Brent McKee wrote:

I have an old four speed Garrard Changer -- mid 1970s and pretty
basic, but I don't know the model no. -- and a fondness for 78s.
Problem is that the tone arm will no longer track all the way to the
end of the recorded part of the disc no matter how much weight I add
on. Net result is that whenever I try to play 78s it skips at exactly
the same place for each record. Is there a fix for this or am I SOL
and would find it easier and cheaper to buy a replacement that
works -- if I can find one?

Karl Uppiano

"Brent McKee" wrote in message
[...]

If you're in the habit of adding lots of weight to the tonearm to make it
track better, it might be that there's no stylus left. You might try
replacing the stylus.

Dan Kuechle

I agree. You need to take the turntable apart, clean it and re-lubricate
it.
The 70's Garrard I just inherited had grease that was more like glue than
grease.

Dan

Brent McKee wrote:

I have an old four speed Garrard Changer -- mid 1970s and pretty
basic, but I don't know the model no. -- and a fondness for 78s.
Problem is that the tone arm will no longer track all the way to the
end of the recorded part of the disc no matter how much weight I add
on. Net result is that whenever I try to play 78s it skips at exactly
the same place for each record. Is there a fix for this or am I SOL
and would find it easier and cheaper to buy a replacement that
works -- if I can find one?

RTate

Default Garrard Changer problem - now B.I.C. problem

This discussion reminds me that I've got a B.I.C. Model 960 sitting
around that siezed up long ago, so (a) is it worth cleaning up, (b)
where could an exploded parts diagram be found to assist in getting it
back together, and (c) are replacement rubber parts to be found anywhere
these days?

Brent McKee wrote:

I have an old four speed Garrard Changer -- mid 1970s and pretty
basic, but I don't know the model no. -- and a fondness for 78s.
Problem is that the tone arm will no longer track all the way to the
end of the recorded part of the disc no matter how much weight I add
on. Net result is that whenever I try to play 78s it skips at exactly
the same place for each record. Is there a fix for this or am I SOL
and would find it easier and cheaper to buy a replacement that
works -- if I can find one?

--
Skin that tater before replying

Chuck

Brent McKee wrote:

I have an old four speed Garrard Changer -- mid 1970s and pretty
basic, but I don't know the model no. -- and a fondness for 78s.
Problem is that the tone arm will no longer track all the way to the
end of the recorded part of the disc no matter how much weight I add
on. Net result is that whenever I try to play 78s it skips at exactly
the same place for each record. Is there a fix for this or am I SOL
and would find it easier and cheaper to buy a replacement that
works -- if I can find one?

The 960 is a pretty decent table. Years ago, after BIC went under, I
found a MCM belt that worked well in these tables. Don't remember the
no. but with a little research you should be able to find an
appropriate substitute. The grease on the platter bearing needs to be
removed and replaced with GC phonolube or an equivalent lubricant.
Usually the red plastic levers' pivot has to be cleaned and
lubricated. To lubricate the motor, the pulley is removed and the
covering on the bottom of the motor is pried off with a screwdriver.
The spring metal piece which is used as a bottom bearing is taken off
and then the rotor can be easily removed. Clean all the old lube and
use a synthetic oil as lubrication. Reassemble and the table should be
good to go. I don't have a source for a manual. You might want to
use a camcorder to document the disassembly. The last known source
for BIC parts was a company in Oyster Bay NY. Good luck. Chuck

Chuck

Brent McKee wrote:

[...]

CD Changer Reset, common problem? Herman Wong Car Audio 3 July 23rd 04 07:15 PM
Problem With Alpine Head Unit/Type E Subs (Part 2) Brian Lamendola Car Audio 3 May 25th 04 04:58 AM
Old Cd changer to new HU problem Nikoli Yetti Car Audio 0 April 21st 04 11:33 PM
MD/CD changer head unit power problem Alex Car Audio 1 March 22nd 04 03:06 PM
rec.audio.car FAQ (Part 1/5) Ian D. Bjorhovde Car Audio 0 March 6th 04 07:54 AM