Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] tylerbcrawford@gmail.com is offline

Default tape machine repair help anyone?

i am trying to fix up a revox pr99 1/4" 2track i got for free. the
transport seems to be working fine but the problem is nothing appears
to be getting to or coming from the tape.

the vu bulbs dont light up and neither do the record enable
lights(they do flicker briefly when i throw the switch). i am
wondering if this problem is connected to the signal to/from the tape
issue.

i am in the process of getting the manual to see if it will be of any
help. does anyone have suggestions of where i could start
troubleshooting. i have already reseated all the cards, looked for any
burned out parts/fuses with no luck so far. i might take it to a tech
eventually but if i can fix it myself thatd be great.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 9, 5:09 pm, wrote:

the vu bulbs dont light up and neither do the record enable
lights(they do flicker briefly when i throw the switch). i am
wondering if this problem is connected to the signal to/from the tape
issue.

More likely a problem with the power supply or the electronics.

i am in the process of getting the manual to see if it will be of any
help.

It won't, if it hasn't occurred to you to check the power supply
first. The manual doesn't contain step-by-step troubleshooting
instructions. It has schematics, and if you can troubleshoot from a
diagram, you'll figure it out. If you can't, better find a shop (and
they might need your manual).

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
i am trying to fix up a revox pr99 1/4" 2track i got for free. the
transport seems to be working fine but the problem is nothing appears
to be getting to or coming from the tape.

If you put signal into the input, set it to record, and monitor input instead
of tape, do the meters move?

the vu bulbs dont light up and neither do the record enable
lights(they do flicker briefly when i throw the switch). i am
wondering if this problem is connected to the signal to/from the tape
issue.

The vu meter bulbs burn out all the time and people don't bother replacing
them, so that's not much of a sign. Can you play a tape that is already
recorded?

i am in the process of getting the manual to see if it will be of any
help. does anyone have suggestions of where i could start
troubleshooting. i have already reseated all the cards, looked for any
burned out parts/fuses with no luck so far. i might take it to a tech
eventually but if i can fix it myself thatd be great.

First thing I'd do is check the power supply, but then I'd get a scope
or signal tracer... start at the beginning and work my way toward the
heads.

First you need to verify that it doesn't play back before you worry about
any record stuff.

If there is no signal on the meters with monitoring set to input, AND
it also doesn't play back with monitoring set to tape, that means two
unrelated things aren't working... and when two unrelated things aren't
working it's almost always the power supply.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 9, 6:47 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
wrote:
[...]

what would be the best way to go about checking the power supply? i
only have a multimeter. can i just use continuity test?
i am going to try another tape soon to see if that is the issue.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
[...]

i am located in canada.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote ...
what would be the best way to go about checking the power supply?
i only have a multimeter. can i just use continuity test?

Do you have a service manual, or at least a schematic diagram?
Don't attempt to measure anything without one.

WITH the service information, you can check the outputs of the power
supply with the DC voltage meter to see if they are within spec. You
could even use a sensitive AC voltage setting as a rough indication
of whether the filter capacitor might be bad. A continuity test might
be appropriate to see if a fuse is good, or a transformer winding blown.

i am going to try another tape soon to see if that is the issue.

I wouldn't try too many tapes before you get the basic functionality
resolved. I certainly wouldn't put any tape on it that had anything
recorded that you might want to save.

i am located in canada.

I'm sure you have access to proper test equipment,
even in Canadia! :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 9, 7:04 pm, wrote:
what would be the best way to go about checking the power supply? i
only have a multimeter. can i just use continuity test?

"Check the power supply" means measuring voltages. You can check fuses
with a continuity test (remove them first) but that's about it.

i am located in canada.

Well, move to DC and bring it over along with your service manual and
I'll show you what to do. Or find someone like me near you. You're
clearly out of your league here.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

what would be the best way to go about checking the power supply? i
only have a multimeter. can i just use continuity test?

Umm... no.
Get out the manual, find the various points coming out of the supply board
where there should be voltage. Turn the thing on, and use the DC volt setting
to measure voltage. Are they all what the manual says?

i am going to try another tape soon to see if that is the issue.

You didn't answer any of my questions about how the thing is behaving,
though.