Mark Steven Brooks

Default Wherever God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window

Maybe god just needed to use the restroom.......

Holy ****.
(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)
Christian Serig

Please take off the jokes regarding God. Does not belong here.
Obviously the people who answered this are small minded and do not
believe in divine intervention even when it is the smallest of things
to let you know he is listening.
Mark Steven Brooks

Please take off the jokes regarding God. Does not belong here.
Obviously the people who answered this are small minded and do not
believe in divine intervention even when it is the smallest of things
to let you know he is listening.

God walks into a bar.....
(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)
Mark Steven Brooks

Please take off the jokes regarding God. Does not belong here.
Obviously the people who answered this are small minded and do not
believe in divine intervention even when it is the smallest of things
to let you know he is listening.

Jesus walks into a Holiday Inn, put a couple of nails down on the counter, says
"can you put me up for the night?".

Ba-boom.
(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)
Mark Steven Brooks

Please take off the jokes regarding God. Does not belong here.
Obviously the people who answered this are small minded and do not
believe in divine intervention even when it is the smallest of things
to let you know he is listening.

My God can kick the **** out of your God!
(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)

hank alrich

Christian Serig wrote:

Please take off the jokes regarding God. Does not belong here.
Obviously the people who answered this are small minded and do not
believe in divine intervention even when it is the smallest of things
to let you know he is listening.

Please leave off with assitgning gender to any so-called supreme being;
that is the height of human arrogance and male sexism.

--
ha
Kurt Albershardt

hank alrich wrote:

Christian Serig wrote:

Please take off the jokes regarding God. Does not belong here.
Obviously the people who answered this are small minded and do not
believe in divine intervention even when it is the smallest of things
to let you know he is listening.

Please leave off with assitgning gender to any so-called supreme being;
that is the height of human arrogance and male sexism.

I vividly recall the response of a Buddhist teacher some years ago to a student's bemoaning the sad state of affairs in the world, "When you start with the concept that God is a man and He's ****ed off, this is what you get."\

Bob Cain

hank alrich wrote:

Please leave off with assitgning gender to any so-called supreme being;
that is the height of human arrogance and male sexism.

While I agree that assigning a gender is rather limiting, I
also find that many people's eyebrows go up when I call it
"it." Like that makes it less human or something. :-)

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Kurt Albershardt

Bob Cain wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

Please leave off with assitgning gender to any so-called supreme being;
that is the height of human arrogance and male sexism.

While I agree that assigning a gender is rather limiting, I also find
that many people's eyebrows go up when I call it "it." Like that makes
it less human or something. :-)

English lacks the gender-neutral tense which many other languages use for the task. Arabic comes to mind...

hank alrich

Bob Cain wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

Please leave off with assitgning gender to any so-called supreme being;
that is the height of human arrogance and male sexism.

While I agree that assigning a gender is rather limiting, I
also find that many people's eyebrows go up when I call it
"it." Like that makes it less human or something. :-)

Less human? Ya think? g

The Jesus Christ Chainsaw Massacree movie has now taken in (so to speak)
over a quarter billion murkin dollahs. There's our humanity.

--
ha

Bob Cain

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Bob Cain wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

Please leave off with assitgning gender to any so-called supreme being;
that is the height of human arrogance and male sexism.

While I agree that assigning a gender is rather limiting, I also find
that many people's eyebrows go up when I call it "it." Like that
makes it less human or something. :-)

English lacks the gender-neutral tense which many other languages use
for the task. Arabic comes to mind...

So Muhammad wasn't quite the male chauvenist we've been
(very erroneously) taught. :-)

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Kurt Albershardt

Bob Cain wrote:

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Bob Cain wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

Please leave off with assitgning gender to any so-called supreme being;
that is the height of human arrogance and male sexism.

While I agree that assigning a gender is rather limiting, I also find
that many people's eyebrows go up when I call it "it." Like that
makes it less human or something. :-)

English lacks the gender-neutral tense which many other languages use
for the task. Arabic comes to mind...

So Muhammad wasn't quite the male chauvenist we've been (very
erroneously) taught. :-)

Not only that, but the vast majority of the oft-labeled "misogynist" directives in the Koran were actually *radically progressive* for their time. God forbid we should interpret these holy tomes in the historical context which/when they were written!

Mark Steven Brooks

I'd like to relate a story if I may that is relevent to the discussion
(he/her/it/God):

About 20 years ago the band I was in (Kub Coda band) was doing a gig somewhere
in Ct. While we were setting up a sweet 5 year old girl was watching
(presumably the owners' daughter). She came up to me and said; "look, I found
a penny", to which I replied "well make a wish and don't tell anyone what it
is". She said "I'll only tell God, HE won't tell on me". I don't know why but
I immediately said "how do you know God is a he? God might be a she, or God
might be both he AND she". Her eyes got really wide and she said "wow!)".
She totally got it. Anyway, a few minutes later I saw her playing pinball and
went up say hi. She turned around looking very angry and said to me "my mommy
told me never to talk to you again!".

There I went, interfering with her Christian indoctrination. I like to think
that somehow she has never forgotten the insight she got.
(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)
Peter Larsen

Christian Serig wrote:

Please take off the jokes regarding God. Does not belong here.

First we hear that God doesn't throw dice (x), and now that God doesn't
have a Sense of Humour. I would have thought that it was a prerequisite
for Surviving at that Desk looking down on Creation for Eons ....

(x) Einstein tried to make that point stick, but failed, Bohr, whose
grandchildred I went to school with, prevailed with the assertion that
"perhaps He likes to". (x)

O;-)

(x) any confusion of the reader is intentional ....

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

William Sommerwerck

While I agree that assigning a gender is rather limiting,
I also find that many people's eyebrows go up when I call
it "it." Like that makes it less human or something. :-)

Unfortunately, English does not have a genderless pronoun that implies
sentience.

George

but you may be importuning a bit when you presume to speak on "His"
behalf and demand a change in the historical manner the Creator has been
addressed.

!!!!rotflmfao!!!!
show me one word"god" ever said that was not just man speaking on "its"
behalf
George
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
George wrote:
but you may be importuning a bit when you presume to speak on "His"
behalf and demand a change in the historical manner the Creator has been
addressed.

!!!!rotflmfao!!!!
show me one word"god" ever said that was not just man speaking on "its"
behalf

He said "fiat lux" I believe.
hank alrich

Mark Steven Brooks wrote:

[...]

So her mommy really wanted to be God but couldn't face that. g

--
ha
hank alrich

WillStG wrote:

Speaking for the Allmighty, are we Hank? Are we putting words in God's
mouth now? I mean I don't disagree that the Creator is the origin of both
genders, but you may be importuning a bit when you presume to speak on "His"
behalf and demand a change in the historical manner the Creator has been
addressed.

I figure I'm as entitled as any other arrogant prick who decides to
speak for the humanly unimaginable. Seeking to justify the all powerful
penishood of thyself, are ya?

I don't do "creator" as any kind of entity. I speculate it's a process,
not a being. As to the "he" thing, that's male chauvinism.

As for "reality", try this:

http://www.simulation-argument.com/

--
ha

Bob Cain

hank alrich wrote:

I don't do "creator" as any kind of entity. I speculate it's a process,
not a being.

A rose by any other name...

As for "reality", try this:

http://www.simulation-argument.com/

What a resource! Thanks. I really enjoy that argument,
particularly the speculation that quantum mechanics merely
exposes the granularity of the simulation's event list,
below which it becomes the Monte Carlo method on a grand
scale. The pixel size, so to speak. :-)

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Christian Serig

I really opened up a can of worms here. Yes I was wrong for calling
him he. I apoligize. I guess growing up you always here of God being a
he when actually we do not really know. Except for the fact there is
someone very much so listening to are thoughts, hearts and actions and
if we put positive energy into this you will be rewarded. Thank you
for enlightening me to looking at this in a new context.

Peter Larsen wrote in message ...
Christian Serig wrote:

Please take off the jokes regarding God. Does not belong here.

First we hear that God doesn't throw dice (x), and now that God doesn't
have a Sense of Humour. I would have thought that it was a prerequisite
for Surviving at that Desk looking down on Creation for Eons ....

(x) Einstein tried to make that point stick, but failed, Bohr, whose
grandchildred I went to school with, prevailed with the assertion that
"perhaps He likes to". (x)

O;-)

(x) any confusion of the reader is intentional ....

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

WillStG

(hank alrich)

I figure I'm as entitled as any other arrogant prick who decides to
speak for the humanly unimaginable. Seeking to justify the all powerful
penishood of thyself, are ya?

So Hank, you would call Jesus of Nazareth, who taught his followers to pray
"Our Father" a chavinistic "arrogant prick"? That is a rather ignorant
pronouncement to make I think; Jesus was quite revolutionary in the way he
treated women and many Theologians consider him to have been truly a
"feminist".

I don't do "creator" as any kind of entity. I speculate it's a process,
not a being. As to the "he" thing, that's male chauvinism.

The issue isn't whether you "do creator" or not, rather it is who are you
to judge the relationship another person might have with God, who are you to
judge the relationship Jesus had with God? If God has spent the last 2000
years trying to get across the concept that his relationship to man is a
"parent to child" relationship, not a "master - servant" relationship, who do
you think you are you to claim that "He" does not want to be addressed as one's
"Father"?

Yeah I wrote about God in my song "Tales Of The Neophyte" as being the
Mother. So God has a feminine side, Father, Mother, it's all the same address,
because the Creator is "One".

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News

Scott Dorsey

WillStG wrote:
(hank alrich)

I figure I'm as entitled as any other arrogant prick who decides to
speak for the humanly unimaginable. Seeking to justify the all powerful
penishood of thyself, are ya?

So Hank, you would call Jesus of Nazareth, who taught his followers to pray
"Our Father" a chavinistic "arrogant prick"? That is a rather ignorant
pronouncement to make I think; Jesus was quite revolutionary in the way he
treated women and many Theologians consider him to have been truly a
"feminist".

Did he actually do that? I know that when it got translated into Latin
it was definitely rendered as "Pater" and of course in English it's always
translated as "Father" but I honestly don't know if the original absolutely
implied gender or not.

As it is, gender implications in English seem to have changed since I was
in school. "Man is vivparous and he bears live young" was a perfectly
reasonable sentence not long ago, although today it seems cumbersome and we
don't expect the male to always include the female. How are Hebrew and
Aramaic in that regard?

Chris Hornbeck

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:56:14 -0800, Bob Cain
wrote:

hank alrich wrote:
http://www.simulation-argument.com/

What a resource! Thanks. I really enjoy that argument,
particularly the speculation that quantum mechanics merely
exposes the granularity of the simulation's event list,
below which it becomes the Monte Carlo method on a grand
scale. The pixel size, so to speak. :-)

Aren't you bothered by the argument's linear model?
IOW, can chaotic "reality" be modeled linearly?

Chris Hornbeck

"Thank you so much Dr. Bostrom. You have proved that
my psychiatrist was wrong all along." (anonymous)
hank alrich

Scott Dorsey wrote:

George wrote:

but you may be importuning a bit when you presume to speak on "His"
behalf and demand a change in the historical manner the Creator has been
addressed.

!!!!rotflmfao!!!!
show me one word"god" ever said that was not just man speaking on "its"
behalf

He said "fiat lux" I believe.

I thought Edison said that.

--
ha
Scott Dorsey

hank alrich wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

George wrote:

but you may be importuning a bit when you presume to speak on "His"
behalf and demand a change in the historical manner the Creator has been
addressed.

!!!!rotflmfao!!!!
show me one word"god" ever said that was not just man speaking on "its"
behalf

He said "fiat lux" I believe.

I thought Edison said that.

Possibly, but much later. It was in the public domain by then.
William Sommerwerck

And sorry, "Abba" is the aramaic from the original texts.

My understanding is that "abba" is informal, and translates into English more as
"daddy" than "father."

Mark Steven Brooks

I don't do "creator" as any kind of entity. I speculate it's a process,
not a being.

Right, I think one of the prime causes of violence and suffering in this world
comes from people anthroporphising 'God'. A God with desires, with an ego etc.

I think of God as the experience of oneness that occurs when one steps outside
one's ego. God for me is a verb, or perhaps an adverb.
(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)
Mark Steven Brooks

If God has spent the last 2000
years trying to get across the concept that his relationship to man is a
"parent to child" relationship, not a "master - servant" relationship, who do
you think you are you to claim that "He" does not want to be addressed as one's
"Father"?

God as person again, a very immature response I think. The problem with 'he'
is that all of our patriarchal concepts are overlayed on to something which
transcends all of these things. It is because of this 'he' (Allah or Jesus
etc.) is that 'he' then needs to be placated, defended, etc. There will be no
peace on this earth until people get beyond these
infantile concepts.

The Christian Scientists always refer to 'God' as
'our father/mother God'. I always liked that. You'll never see images of
Christ (or Mary Baker Eddy for that matter) in a CS church. No images to get
hung up on. (No, I am not a CS).
(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)
Mark Steven Brooks

you don't for even one second really belive Jesus was the son of
God, do you?

adopted
(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)

Mark Steven Brooks

How are you going to wire that into my Oversoul?

Ah, a transcendentalist.
(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)
WillStG

something first has to exist before we should bother over what sex it
might be

The point is what the nature of the relationship is. The point is that it
is personal and as close as a Parent and their child should be.

and you don't for even one second really belive Jesus was the son of
God, do you?

Call me a liberal, but I beleive that even you George are a son of God.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News

WillStG

(Mark Steven Brooks)

Ah, a transcendentalist.

And beyond.