Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean B Sean B is offline

Default (Shielded) Mic/Line Cable With Lowest Shunt Capacitance?

How low does it go?

Sean
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8/12/2017 5:10 PM, Sean B wrote:
How low does it go?

How low do you need it? Two conductor? Single conductor? Star-quad?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Sean B wrote:

-----------------

How low does it go?

** You can eliminate its effect entirely by loading the far end with the characteristic impedance of the cable.

Try a 0.22uF cap in series with 100 ohms for starters.

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean B Sean B is offline

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 8:08:14 PM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:

How low do you need it? Two conductor? Single conductor? Star-quad?

Two conductor.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 13/08/2017 02:49, Phil Allison wrote:
Sean B wrote:

-----------------

How low does it go?

** You can eliminate its effect entirely by loading the far end with the characteristic impedance of the cable.

Try a 0.22uF cap in series with 100 ohms for starters.

Which is not the best idea if it's being fed by a guitar pickup, which
expects a load of many kilohms or a high impedance mic such as those
used on some acoustic guitars.

If the OP told us what the application was, then we'd have a better idea
what to recommend.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote:

---------------------------

How low does it go?

** You can eliminate its effect entirely by loading the far end with the characteristic impedance of the cable.

Try a 0.22uF cap in series with 100 ohms for starters.

Which is not the best idea if it's being fed by a guitar pickup, which
expects a load of many kilohms or a high impedance mic such as those
used on some acoustic guitars.

** Twin core mic cable is unsuitable for that use anyhow - microphony being one issue. But you cannot tell an audiophool anything.

BTW, if the source is a ceramic contac tpickup, cable C does not cause high frequency loss, just some loss of level and improved lows.

If the OP told us what the application was, then we'd have a better idea
what to recommend.

** Of course, but I answered the Q as written.

C disappears once you "match" the line.

..... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Sean B wrote:
How low does it go?

Pretty low, but why do you care? We run 600 ohm lines (or these days
lines with even lower source impedance) so we don't have to worry so
much. Guitar players have to worry, people with high-Z tape heads and
internal console connections to though.

It's nice to have low capacitance but flexibility and good noise rejection
are usually bigger deals today,

FS: Shielded Line Isolator mhbarron Marketplace 0 July 21st 08 01:46 AM
Shielded mains cable Iain Churches Vacuum Tubes 134 June 6th 07 08:07 AM
Should you use shielded speaker cable or not? at Tech 5 August 27th 04 11:36 AM
Shielded Audio Cable Luther Pro Audio 3 October 14th 03 10:41 PM
Shielded cable from valve to OT tony.r Vacuum Tubes 11 July 26th 03 12:59 AM