Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default DAW utilizing multi core?

CPU speeds seem to be stuck, although
Moore's law may still hold true, allowing
more cores in the same space.

Of course, we have to change the way we
write applications to take advantage of this.
There is likely no simple answer to this,
but I was curious as to whether most VST
hosts for instance, will spread the plugins
across cores, or whether this is one point
of quality split in the hosts out there.

Tobiah
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tobiah wrote:
CPU speeds seem to be stuck, although
Moore's law may still hold true, allowing
more cores in the same space.

Of course, we have to change the way we
write applications to take advantage of this.
There is likely no simple answer to this,
but I was curious as to whether most VST
hosts for instance, will spread the plugins
across cores, or whether this is one point
of quality split in the hosts out there.

Tobiah

Most, schmost.

Pick a DAW and research it. I think SONAR and Reaper
both do... but I would have to research it...

I haven't been CPU bound with a DAW since I got off
the Athlon 600 machine I used from 1999 to 2004.
Even then, Win95 and FAT32 were much more troublesome than
the processor speed.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Anahata Anahata is offline

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:14:56 -0700, Tobiah wrote:

I was
curious as to whether most VST hosts for instance, will spread the
plugins across cores, or whether this is one point of quality split in
the hosts out there.

I don't know about plugins, but Ardour 2.x (OSX/Linux DAW) will use two
cores if available, one for audio processing and the other for the
graphics.
Ardour v.3 will make sensible use of more than 2 cores, but I don't know
exactly how it divides the work between them.

--
Anahata
--/-- http://www.treewind.co.uk