Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

Default Uh-oh! Old CDs breaking down - Check your archives.

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 04:19:40 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote
(in article ):

I recently pulled out commercial open-reel tapes that were at least 35 years
old. All but one were in perfect or close-to-perfect condition. (Amazingly,
I'd bought a second copy of that recording some years back, so I had a good
spare.) I will eventually dub them to 8mm DAT -- unless I can find a
"reasonably" priced four-channel recording system for my computer. (8mm DAT
is not exactly robust.)
------------------------------snip------------------------------

I wouldn't do that if I were you, Bill. DAT is really flakey; I did some
archival restoration a few years ago, and we wound up using 6 different DAT
machines (including two $7000 Sony PCM-7040's) to play back tapes made from
1990-1998. DAT is a very, very impermanent medium.

BTW, DAT is only 3.8mm, not 8mm. I would trust something like this more to
digital files. A reasonable A/D converter is well under $500 these days; dub
it to high-res WAV files, then make several backups.

I try to operate on Peter Krogh's 3-2-1 Backup Rule:

http://www.dpbestflow.org/backup/backup-overview

Interestingly, the studios are using LTO-4 and LTO-5 data tapes for most of
their backups these days. But I've seen cases where the older DTF and DTF2
backup tapes failed, causing much consternation and disaster.

--MFW

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I recently pulled out commercial open-reel tapes that were at least 35
years
old. All but one were in perfect or close-to-perfect condition.

(Amazingly,
I'd bought a second copy of that recording some years back, so I had
a good spare.) I will eventually dub them to 8mm DAT -- unless I can find
a "reasonably" priced four-channel recording system for my computer.
(8mm DAT is not exactly robust.)
------------------------------snip------------------------------

I wouldn't do that if I were you, Bill. DAT is really flakey; I did some
archival restoration a few years ago, and we wound up using 6 different
DAT machines (including two $7000 Sony PCM-7040's) to play back
tapes made from 1990-1998. DAT is a very, very impermanent medium.

Don't misunderstand -- I'm not going to get rid of the originals. No way.

BTW, DAT is only 3.8mm, not 8mm.

I'm talking about machines that use 8mm video tape. They are, strictly
speaking, DAT.

If I can find a good A/D system, for a reasonable price, I will most
certainly use it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

William Sommerwerck wrote:

[...]

Strictly, maybe. Actually, either ADAT/VHS (Alesis) or Hi-8/8mm (Tascam
and Sony, etc.).

If I can find a good A/D system, for a reasonable price, I will most
certainly use it.

You could hardly fail to find better conversion in most contemporary
interfaces versus that of those digital tape recorders.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri

Uh-oh! Old CDs breaking down - Check your archives. Marc Wielage[_2_] Pro Audio 1 April 6th 12 04:56 PM
Archives swbell Car Audio 1 May 2nd 05 06:17 AM
Breaking in a mic? Jack Pro Audio 7 March 1st 05 01:39 AM
archives? Ed Coleman Vacuum Tubes 1 November 28th 03 10:19 PM