CD Burner questions

Old September 1st 05, 10:46 PM
Rick Ruskin

Default CD Burner questions

A friend of mine needs to do a considerable amount of short run CD
releases and asked the following:

Most reliable burner for high-speed (24X or higher) burning of audio?
Fastest recommended burning speed for reliable playback on most CD
players?

Thanks in advance.

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
Old September 2nd 05, 05:23 AM
Geoff Wood

"Rick Ruskin" > wrote in message
>A friend of mine needs to do a considerable amount of short run CD
> releases and asked the following:
>
> Most reliable burner for high-speed (24X or higher) burning of audio?
> Fastest recommended burning speed for reliable playback on most CD
> players?

Considering you can't buy a burner lower than 48x thexe days....

I have greatest success with Plextor Premium and PlexWriter 12/4/32 on most
'real' media types at 12x and 8x respectively.

Burning faster reduces trackability in my particular 'test bed' - Sony car
CD.

Old September 2nd 05, 06:45 AM
RD Jones

Geoff Wood wrote:

> "Rick Ruskin" > wrote in message
> >A friend of mine needs to do a considerable amount of short run CD
> > releases and asked the following:
> >
> > Most reliable burner for high-speed (24X or higher) burning of audio?
> > Fastest recommended burning speed for reliable playback on most CD
> > players?

> Considering you can't buy a burner lower than 48x thexe days....
>
> I have greatest success with Plextor Premium and PlexWriter 12/4/32 on most
> 'real' media types at 12x and 8x respectively.
>
> Burning faster reduces trackability in my particular 'test bed' - Sony car
> CD.
>
> geoff

Even my Plextor PX-W4824 seems to produce unreliable
discs at 24x and above. This is with generic unbranded
blanks with the printable surface. So I burn most copies
at 8x or 12x also. The better quality HHB blanks seem
to work OK at higher burn speeds but are overkill for
typical demo (etc.) copies. Any of the recent Plex
48x or 52x burners are what I would recommend.

good luck
rd

Old September 2nd 05, 06:49 AM

Plextor is the brand most relied on by established studio professionals.

Old September 2nd 05, 09:47 AM
Alan Rutlidge

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Plextor is the brand most relied on by established studio professionals.

Buy reasonable quality media and burn at x 24 or less. The slower the
better without getting ridiculously slow of course. Slower burning
apparently results in better defined pits and lands on the disc surface
which are more easily read by most CD players capable of reading CD-Rs.
This has certainly been my experience when playing CD-Rs in a variety of
players from DVD home players to car CD players and portable players.

Do a Google search on the subject, which I'm sure will reveal a lot more
information.

Cheers,
Alan

Old September 2nd 05, 11:21 AM
Adrian Tuddenham

Rick Ruskin > wrote:

[...]
> Fastest recommended burning speed for reliable playback on most CD
> players?

It is very important to get the right media too. Many types of CDRs are
fine in a computer drive but will not play on every audio player - and
some of those that work well on audio players do not last long in
sunlight. It's all down to the dye technology.

In the UK recently there have been a lot of dud CDRs on the market, even
under respected brand names. Hope you don't find the same situation in
the US.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Old September 2nd 05, 11:29 AM
Neon Sound

The previous posters have touched on it, but the most important decision may
actually be what media you buy. It's actually pretty hard to buy a bad CDRW
these days (although still easy to buy a bad DVDRW).

I have often found that some media is far more problematic for consumer CD
players than other media, regardless of the CDRW it is used with.

NS.

Old September 2nd 05, 11:39 AM
Mike Rivers

Rick Ruskin wrote:
> A friend of mine needs to do a considerable amount of short run CD
> releases and asked the following:
>
> Most reliable burner for high-speed (24X or higher) burning of audio?
> Fastest recommended burning speed for reliable playback on most CD
> players?

If it's who I think it is for what I think it is, I'd look into one of
the duplicating "towers" that are sold by folks like Diskmakers or
Microboards. They're getting pretty cheap now. While more expensive
than a CD drive for a computer, because you duplicate several disks at
once, they can run at slower speed and still have a pretty good
throughput. Also, it doesn't tie up a computer.

I don't have any specific recommendations, but I've not heard anything
bad about any of the current crop.

Old September 2nd 05, 12:16 PM
Sune T. B. Nielsen

"Mike Rivers" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Rick Ruskin wrote:
>> A friend of mine needs to do a considerable amount of short run CD
>> releases and asked the following:
>>
>> Most reliable burner for high-speed (24X or higher) burning of audio?
>> Fastest recommended burning speed for reliable playback on most CD
>> players?

> If it's who I think it is for what I think it is, I'd look into one of
> the duplicating "towers" that are sold by folks like Diskmakers or
> Microboards. They're getting pretty cheap now. While more expensive
> than a CD drive for a computer, because you duplicate several disks at
> once, they can run at slower speed and still have a pretty good
> throughput. Also, it doesn't tie up a computer.
>
> I don't have any specific recommendations, but I've not heard anything
> bad about any of the current crop.

How do you decide what is good og bad media?
(Before buying and trying them of course)

Old September 2nd 05, 12:27 PM
Mike Rivers

Sune T. B. Nielsen wrote:

> How do you decide what is good og bad media?
> (Before buying and trying them of course)

That's how. But if your time is worth anything, you'll start with a
known manufacturer and they'll probably work fine. I use Taiyo Yuden
silver blanks and have never had a failure. They're about $35/hundred
on a spindle. I don't think that's too much to pay for not having to
worry about reliability.

If your volume is in hundreds a week and you insist on keeping your
prices low, you might want to look further to save a few bucks on a
lot. For the rest of us, an extra dime a disk doesn't matter.