LIES, DAMNED LIES AND COMPLAINTS continued ...

Old November 21st 03, 11:54 AM
Ross Matheson

Default LIES, DAMNED LIES AND COMPLAINTS continued ...

In Subject: WHY THE ENEMIES OF SOCIETY PERVERT THE LANGUAGE//Andr Jute
dated: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 13:00:05 +0200 (CEST)

Andre Jute continues ...

:The Joe Job is a variant of declaring someone a troll, which legitimizes
: (at least in the eyes of nerds) attacks on peoples freedom of speech
: and livelihood. It works like this: some troll is taunted and abused until
: he reacts, and then viciously flamed until he reacts some more.
: Eventually in frustration he does something which the gang of bullies
: on his back can use complain to his ISP (Internet Service Provider),
: against whom they then mount a concerted campaign until the troll
: has his communications withdrawn.

Nope. The Joe Job is to do with forged spam, as detailed above.
However, in Cotse's discussion of the JoeJob, they do relate it to what they
call the "Complaint Game". http://www.cotse.com/11022000.html

None of this applies to the scenario of a bully, who chooses his actions,
complaining that he is the victim, i.e. of his victims, or who has his ISP
service terminated because he really did breach the terms of service ...

Cotse's own terms and conditions are worth a read then, in this light:
http://www.cotse.net/tos.html Some useful notes on free speech there.

However, even they state, a fair way down the page:

However, if one of our users is in a group solely to cause disruption
and only engage in name-calling we will first warn then term the account
if the user continues. We support freedom of speech to disagree, not to
just hurl insults and names.

Consider Andre Jute's posts to this group in relation to just that clause!
The name-calling would be ludicrous if not so offensive and tiresome.

http://tinyurl.com/ujb4
http://tinyurl.com/ujbh

Let alone the rest of the names, accusations, veiled threats, intimidations
and false intimations that he has flooded this newsgroup with. IMVHO.

Andre complains that no one argues any of his points. People are tired of
dealing with floods of insane vituperation, but I suggest that rather than
simply closing their virtual ears and eyes, they at least look at them, and
consider what small or great refutations they may calmly and honestly make.

OTOH, I applaud his recent human expressions of compassion and sharing of
painful personal experiences, as well as his straightforward on topic posts.

To be fair, one should encourage and respond positively when these occur, if
one is going to respond critically to those that contain errors or flaws.

It is easy to be remiss in this while one is upset over perceived slights.

One can't do either with filters engaged. It takes exposure to tumbling
gravel, let alone irritating sand, to rub off the awkward corners, remove the
layers of outer crust, and reveal the gem within a rock, if it is one.

Ross Matheson
- -

Old November 21st 03, 05:23 PM
Ruud Broens

:
[...]
: - -
Great post there, Ross. And I feel the seem way there about Andre's
seemingly honest expression of some of his personal experiences, that
does give the man some redeeming qualities.
Live and let live,
Rudy