CDDA Rip Quality

Old March 30th 04, 02:55 AM
Pat

Default CDDA Rip Quality

Can an Audio CD be read back, exactly as it was written?

I have seen some discussion that its not possible, due to the way a
commercial CD-A is made.

Old March 30th 04, 03:06 AM
Arny Krueger

Pat wrote:

> Can an Audio CD be read back, exactly as it was written?

Yes, bit perfect.

> I have seen some discussion that its not possible, due to the way a
> commercial CD-A is made.

I general, a bit-perfect copy of a CDA track can be written to a hard drive.
The resulting .wav file can be burned onto a new CD, and the original track
and the copy track can be identical down to the last bit.

I've done this many times. I often use this test as a means to judge the
quality of CD ROM drives and software for copying audio tracks to hard
drives.

Old March 30th 04, 03:06 AM
Arny Krueger

Old March 30th 04, 03:06 AM
Arny Krueger

Old March 30th 04, 03:06 AM
Arny Krueger

Old March 30th 04, 08:15 AM
Bob Saccamano

> > Can an Audio CD be read back, exactly as it was written?
>
> Yes, bit perfect.
>
> > I have seen some discussion that its not possible, due to the way a
> > commercial CD-A is made.

> I general, a bit-perfect copy of a CDA track can be written to a hard

drive.
> The resulting .wav file can be burned onto a new CD, and the original

track
> and the copy track can be identical down to the last bit.
>
> I've done this many times. I often use this test as a means to judge the
> quality of CD ROM drives and software for copying audio tracks to hard
> drives.

I understand that a bit-perfect copy can be made, but I'm a little unsure
about jitter, and what audible effects it will have on a music CD. Any
thoughts?

Old March 30th 04, 08:15 AM
Bob Saccamano

Old March 30th 04, 08:15 AM
Bob Saccamano

Old March 30th 04, 08:15 AM
Bob Saccamano

Old March 30th 04, 11:08 AM
Arny Krueger

Bob Saccamano wrote:

>>> Can an Audio CD be read back, exactly as it was written?

>> Yes, bit perfect.

>>> I have seen some discussion that its not possible, due to the way a
>>> commercial CD-A is made.

>> I general, a bit-perfect copy of a CDA track can be written to a
>> hard drive. The resulting .wav file can be burned onto a new CD, and
>> the original track and the copy track can be identical down to the
>> last bit.

>> I've done this many times. I often use this test as a means to judge
>> the quality of CD ROM drives and software for copying audio tracks
>> to hard drives.

> I understand that a bit-perfect copy can be made, but I'm a little
> unsure about jitter, and what audible effects it will have on a music
> CD. Any thoughts?

Because this is a digital to digital copy, jitter in the conventional sense
we see with CD players and digital recorders is irrelevant. The data is
either accurate, or it isn't. Done right, it's perfectly accurate.