8X DVD Burner?

Old December 8th 03, 10:06 PM
Blind Joni

Default 8X DVD Burner?

I saw an 8X burner at Office Max yesterday..company called MagicSpin..chinese.
Anyone used a fast burner yet? Any info?

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Old December 8th 03, 10:18 PM
Arny Krueger

"Blind Joni" > wrote in message

> I saw an 8X burner at Office Max yesterday..company called
> MagicSpin..chinese. Anyone used a fast burner yet? Any info?

Yeah, I burned two DVD-R discs yesterday at my remote site using a Pioneer
DVR 106. One burned at 4x on Imation media, the other burned at 1x on
no-name media. Each had 6 tracks of 1 hour 44/24. About 4.2 GB per disc.
Both had unrecoverable errors in the last track when I read them on one DVD
drive, but one read well enough on another DVD drive. That leaves me with
one track that I'll have to revist the remote site to pick up.

Old December 9th 03, 12:26 AM
William Sommerwerck

I just ordered the new Plextor after reading a favorable review. (I overlooked
the fact the tests were not double-blind.) The Plextor successfully burned at 8x
on 4x DVD+R media.

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/hardwar...15282p,00.htm?

Old December 9th 03, 12:27 AM
Glenn Dowdy

"Blind Joni" > wrote in message
> I saw an 8X burner at Office Max yesterday..company called

MagicSpin..chinese.
> Anyone used a fast burner yet? Any info?

Sure, but that's our job here. . Buy HP!

Glenn D.

Old December 9th 03, 02:28 AM
reddred

"Blind Joni" > wrote in message
> I saw an 8X burner at Office Max yesterday..company called

MagicSpin..chinese.
> Anyone used a fast burner yet? Any info?

None of these are 'true' 8x, they use 4x discs. NEC manufactures all the
firmware for the 'semi-8x' drives, and I think you were most likely looking
at a badged NEC OEM drive. The 4x drives are made by either NEC or Pioneer,
with custom bezels and in some cases customized firmware. The 8x drives seem
to be following the same pattern.

I've seen the Plextor '8x' in action and it looks to be a winner, very
reliable and fast , although that's based only on my limited observation. It
doesn't ship with the real Plextools, but is fully compatable if you already
have the software.

The true 8x drives should be out in spring.

jb

Old December 9th 03, 05:38 AM
Kurt Albershardt

reddred wrote:

> I've seen the Plextor '8x' in action and it looks to be a winner, very
> reliable and fast , although that's based only on my limited observation.

Mine as well--bought the 708UF a couple weeks back and am liking it very
much so far.

> It doesn't ship with the real Plextools, but is fully compatable if you
> already have the software.

Meaning it can do C1 and C2 error counts on CDR burns?

Old December 9th 03, 01:46 PM
Michael Kornum

I have the Liteon 811S burner, it's pretty much kickass, it burns 8x on
most quality media, it even burns 8x RW on my verbatim DVD-RW+'s.

And offcourse they are true 8x dvd burners - true 8x media is just not out
yet - so u have to use 4x media - I'll bet they come soon though.

Mike

Old December 9th 03, 03:16 PM
Rob

I just got the Plextor and its great. I burn a full length movie (full DVD)
in 8 minutes after its read.

However, be sure to read your manual. There is a "silent read" feature so
when you put in an encoded movie, the drive defaults to a slower read (only
what's necessary for playing the movie) so the drive is quieter because it
spins slower.

If you are burning data this does not apply. But if you are reading a movie,
be sure to press and hold the open button until the light flashes 3 times
for fast read of encoded movies.

It burns DVD+R at 8X, others at 4X. I've now used Maxell and Fuji 4X discs
and they burn fine at 8X.

Old December 9th 03, 03:28 PM
Rob

Old December 9th 03, 05:35 PM
normanstrong

If someone hands you a DVD with a 2 hour movie on it and says, "Make a
copy of this movie as quickly as possible" what will be the minimum
elapsed time to the final copy? Assume DVD+R.

Thanks,

Norm Strong

SAMSUNG® 52x24x52x INTERNAL CD BURNER ONLY $49.95 sunny26 General 0 March 16th 04 02:32 AM
DVD BURNER CAR MP3 PLAYER Darmin Car Audio 3 February 12th 04 04:37 AM
CD Burner Geoley Pro Audio 5 November 19th 03 02:41 AM
FS or Trade Glyph/Sony AIT Backup System and Glyph Firewire CD Burner Joshua David Pro Audio 0 October 12th 03 07:46 PM
WTB SCSI CD burner in Bay Area Myles Boisen Pro Audio 0 September 15th 03 10:46 PM