Wireless phones?

Old April 19th 20, 05:21 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah

Default Wireless phones?

At home, I record solo guitar while monitoring
with wired headphones. The cable can be a problem,
getting in the way, and sometimes causing its own noise.
It just occurred to me that wireless may be the way to go.
I'd want digital transmission to the phones, and a
no-compromise high-fidelity flat natural sound. All of
this for ~$100-$200.

I'm going to start Googling this subject that I know
nothing about, but I thought I'd prime the pump here
to get some focus on what to look for, and maybe
direct model/brand suggestions.

Thanks.
Old April 19th 20, 06:09 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 4/19/2020 12:21 PM, Tobiah wrote:
> 'd want digital transmission to the phones, and a
> no-compromise high-fidelity flat natural sound.* All of
> this for ~$100-$200.
>
> I'm going to start Googling this subject that I know
> nothing about, but I thought I'd prime the pump here
> to get some focus on what to look for, and maybe
> direct model/brand suggestions.

I think that through Google you'll find consumer grade earphones (which
aren't necessarily inexpensive) that use Bluetooth (you'll need a
Bluetooth transmitter to connect to your headphone output) and are
designed to connect to smart phones. They tend to not be flat and
natural, they tend to be good listening for whatever kind of music you
like to listen to. The latest Bluetooth spec has pretty good fidelity
from end to end, it's the earphones you need to worry about.

Sennheiser makes some decent ones (and some inexpensive consumer grade
ones too), and Audio Technica makes some Bluetooth phones as well, in
both grades.

One suggestion would be the Audio Technica ATH-M50BT, the Bluetooth
version of their well respected ATH-M50 studio headphones, coupled with
a Bluetooth transmitter with analog input. I'm sure somebody in the pro
audio world makes one but I couldn't come up with one in a few tries.
There are bunch of consumer ones that probably wouldn't be the weakest
link in a system.

Old April 19th 20, 07:31 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_3_]

Mike Rivers > wrote:
> On 4/19/2020 12:21 PM, Tobiah wrote:
>> 'd want digital transmission to the phones, and a
>> no-compromise high-fidelity flat natural sound.* All of
>> this for ~$100-$200.
>>
>> I'm going to start Googling this subject that I know
>> nothing about, but I thought I'd prime the pump here
>> to get some focus on what to look for, and maybe
>> direct model/brand suggestions.

> I think that through Google you'll find consumer grade earphones (which
> aren't necessarily inexpensive) that use Bluetooth (you'll need a
> Bluetooth transmitter to connect to your headphone output) and are
> designed to connect to smart phones. They tend to not be flat and
> natural, they tend to be good listening for whatever kind of music you
> like to listen to. The latest Bluetooth spec has pretty good fidelity
> from end to end, it's the earphones you need to worry about.
>
> Sennheiser makes some decent ones (and some inexpensive consumer grade
> ones too), and Audio Technica makes some Bluetooth phones as well, in
> both grades.
>
> One suggestion would be the Audio Technica ATH-M50BT, the Bluetooth
> version of their well respected ATH-M50 studio headphones, coupled with
> a Bluetooth transmitter with analog input. I'm sure somebody in the pro
> audio world makes one but I couldn't come up with one in a few tries.
> There are bunch of consumer ones that probably wouldn't be the weakest
> link in a system.

Perhaps a Bluetooth audio receiver coupled to your favourite wired
headphones (run the cable down your back) might get you good headphone
quality and less tangled cables.

Old April 19th 20, 07:55 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

On 19/04/2020 17:21, Tobiah wrote:

> I'm going to start Googling this subject that I know
> nothing about, but I thought I'd prime the pump here
> to get some focus on what to look for, and maybe
> direct model/brand suggestions.

The main problem with digital wireless headphones, especially Bluetooth
ones, is the latency. Whatever you play will come through the headphones
as if it were being played through a speaker about 20 to 30 feet away,
as the round trip delay through the codec system is about 20
milliseconds at best.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old April 19th 20, 10:16 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 4/19/2020 2:55 PM, John Williamson wrote:
> The main problem with digital wireless headphones, especially Bluetooth
> ones, is the latency. Whatever you play will come through the headphones
> as if it were being played through a speaker about 20 to 30 feet away,
> as the round trip delay through the codec system is about 20
> milliseconds at best.

Good point. I've never measured it, but with every new version of
Bluetooth they say that latency is improved.

On the other hand, a 20 ms delay on a vocal is much more tolerable than
a 2 ms delay because you don't get comb filtering when the earphone
signal mixes with the natural sound in your throat. Many people say they
never notice this, but that probably means they have their voice too
loud in the 'phones.

Old April 19th 20, 10:38 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 20/04/2020 6:55 am, John Williamson wrote:
> On 19/04/2020 17:21, Tobiah wrote:
>
>> I'm going to start Googling this subject that I know
>> nothing about, but I thought I'd prime the pump here
>> to get some focus on what to look for, and maybe
>> direct model/brand suggestions.
>>

> The main problem with digital wireless headphones, especially Bluetooth
> ones, is the latency. Whatever you play will come through the headphones
> as if it were being played through a speaker about 20 to 30 feet away,
> as the round trip delay through the codec system is about 20
> milliseconds at best.

And unless you are listening from a smartphone, you will likely need a
stand-alone bluetooth transmitter. Not a problem in itself, but likely
not yet available in the newer standards.

And if you read this article you may begin to appreciate what a nest or
worms Bluetooth is, and that it is not that straightforward to even know
what you've got !

https://www.soundguys.com/understand...-codecs-15352/

Old April 19th 20, 11:18 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 4/19/2020 5:38 PM, geoff wrote:
> And if you read this article you may begin to appreciate what a nest or
> worms Bluetooth

Well, maybe Tobiah will be willing to trade one nest of worms for
another nest of worms. I suppose he could go for a UHF wireless
headphone system like the big bucks acts use with their in-ear wireless
monitoring systems, but a good one is big bucks.

Frankly, I don't see what's the problem he's dealing with when using
wired headphones but if he's got enough money there's probably a great
solution out there.

Old April 20th 20, 12:02 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 20/04/2020 10:18 am, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 4/19/2020 5:38 PM, geoff wrote:
>> And if you read this article you may begin to appreciate what a nest
>> or worms Bluetooth

> Well, maybe Tobiah will be willing to trade one nest of worms for
> another nest of worms. I suppose he could go for a UHF wireless
> headphone system like the big bucks acts use with their in-ear wireless
> monitoring systems, but a good one is big bucks.
>
> Frankly, I don't see what's the problem he's dealing with when using
> wired headphones but if he's got enough money there's probably a great
> solution out there.

And even then you have the complication of battery capacity.

Maybe an IEM belt-pack with cabled headphones would be the answer. At
least then the batteries can be instantly changed when flat.

But me, I'm happy to stick with my cabled headphones which I don't find
much of an inconvenience for the things that I do....

Old April 20th 20, 12:39 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

Tobiah wrote:

--------------------
> At home, I record solo guitar while monitoring
> with wired headphones. The cable can be a problem,
> getting in the way, and sometimes causing its own noise.
> It just occurred to me that wireless may be the way to go.
> I'd want digital transmission to the phones, and a
> no-compromise high-fidelity flat natural sound. All of
> this for ~$100-$200.

** You may be better off going for IR headphones.

No latency and no interference issues.

$100 should get you decent pair.

..... Phil

Old April 20th 20, 02:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Ralph Barone > wrote:

>Perhaps a Bluetooth audio receiver coupled to your favourite wired
>headphones (run the cable down your back) might get you good headphone
>quality and less tangled cables.

The newer generation of Bluetooth audio is amazingly better than the last,
but it's still kind of awful. Still, do you really need good audio for
tracking? You sure need low latency.

In-ear phones Tobiah Pro Audio 2 May 5th 16 07:28 PM
in-ear phones henryp Audio Opinions 2 May 2nd 06 03:56 PM
IR wireless h'phones picking up radio station!? andrew_h Tech 0 March 17th 06 12:38 PM
GET FREE CELL PHONES and CAMERA PHONES! [email protected] Pro Audio 0 February 12th 06 02:21 AM
Req: Suggestions for Wireless Mic & Wireless In-Ear rack set-up Karsten J. Chikuri Pro Audio 6 September 7th 05 07:54 PM