Vintage Shure 55c, trouble getting good sound quality

Old January 1st 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Vintage Shure 55c, trouble getting good sound quality

> wrote:
>
>Hehe. I'll just come out with it. I am a college sportscaster, and I
>would like to use this microphone once or twice for a basketball radio
>broadcast at my university station in Washington DC. We have a comrex
>hooked up to a phone line (we're not even ISDN), and our headset
>microphones are average (though I don't know the model offhand,
>sorry). Basically, I was hoping the vintage mic I bought would
>compete with the headsets at our station, or even the $20 lapel mic I
>bought at radio shack, so you know I'm not looking for pro quality
>stuff.

The thing is, that's not a microphone anyone would ever have used for
that application when it was new. You'd have been a lot more likely
to see an EV 630 or an RCA ice cream cone on the desk in that kind
of situation back in the fifties.

Have you ever used a 635A on the desk? Give it a try. If you stick
an omni element inside the case, the best you'll ever do will be
something like that. If that works out well enough for you, try it.
I think you'll get way too much crowd noise.

But for a sportscast, why the hell do you care WHAT the microphone
looks like? Nobody can see it on the radio. That's the thing about
radio.

>I only wanted the vintage fatboy because I love the way it looks.
>It's not for publicity, it's not for TV, it's simply for the sheer joy
>of it. I know I'm being a pain in the ass, but this is something that
>would make me very happy, and if it works, I will cherish it. I'm
>normally very cheap and hate spending money, but in this case, I'm
>willing to go for it.

There are plenty of great looking microphones, though, that actually
sound good. Hell, you can get an EV 664 for cheap, and it'll beat
most modern dynamics hands down for the application. There's no reason
to waste your money on cheesy crap that is only worth money because
Japanese collectors want to put it behind glass.
Old January 1st 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers > wrote:

>I can understand the inspiration. Dave Letterman doesn't really need a
>vintage RCA mic, but it just looks right to him. I understand that he
>occasionally taps it with a pencil and it sounds live, but I wouldn't
>be surprised if his primary audio actually comes from a condenser clip-
>on mic that the engineers are more comfortable with.

It does, as well as the boom mike. Likewise that SM-33 that sat on
Johnny Carson's desk for years was normally silent, and when they brought
it up occasionally to deal with failed lav mikes the difference in
sound quality was considerable.

>So why don't you use a headset or clip-on mic connected to the
>telephone interface, set up the 55, and pretend that's what you're
>broadcasting through?

If it's good enough for Johnny Carson....
Old January 1st 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jan 1, 4:26 pm, Mike Rivers > wrote:
> On Jan 1, 3:30 pm, wrote:
>
> > I'll just come out with it. I am a college sportscaster, and I
> > would like to use this microphone once or twice for a basketball radio
> > broadcast at my university station

> Finally! They all seem to come up with the missing details eventually.
> As long as you're not also announcing the game over the PA system, you
> don't have to worry about feedback, but you probably don't want to use
> an omni either unless you have an enclosed booth, since it's probably
> pretty noisy on the court. A headset mic is usually best for that kind
> of application, and that's why your station uses them.
>
> > I only wanted the vintage fatboy because I love the way it looks.

> I can understand the inspiration. Dave Letterman doesn't really need a
> vintage RCA mic, but it just looks right to him. I understand that he
> occasionally taps it with a pencil and it sounds live, but I wouldn't
> be surprised if his primary audio actually comes from a condenser clip-
> on mic that the engineers are more comfortable with.
>
> So why don't you use a headset or clip-on mic connected to the
> telephone interface, set up the 55, and pretend that's what you're
> broadcasting through?

I'm really sorry everyone for confusing! I wasn't trying to mislead!
I mostly want the mic for fun, for recording PSAs and spots (which
will be in a quiet studio), but yes, I would like to do a gimmick and
use it for one basketball broadcast. I can do it at a women's game so
crowd noise won't really be a problem.

I have heard the Shure 55 SH and love the way it sounds (and it's
unidirectional), and if I could duplicate that sound in my old fatboy
shell, it will become my most prized possession. Don't mean to sound
dramatic, but I want something that's a bit more than a showpiece,
something functional. That's why I don't want to simply attach a lav
mic and use the vintage as a prop.

If it can't be done, it can't be done, but if I don't ask, I won't
know!

Thank you all again for the help,

Adam

Old January 2nd 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jan 1, 4:38 pm, "Peter Larsen" > wrote:
> Mike Rivers wrote:
>
> [finally, after a week on the newsgroup's racks the questionee gives in and
> admits what he intended to use the mic for, and it is NOT what he initially
> said it was about]
>
> > So why don't you use a headset or clip-on mic connected to the
> > telephone interface, set up the 55, and pretend that's what you're
> > broadcasting through?

> That's pure wisdom! - an omni ain't gonna cut it for "in audience" sports
> casting if the crowd gets enthusiastic.

I'm sorry to be confusing! I wasn't trying to be. I did want to use
it mostly for simple voice recording in a studio, to record PSAs and
promos. But I would love once to take it to a basketball game, and I
can take it toOn Jan 1, 4:38 pm, "Peter Larsen" >
wrote:
> Mike Rivers wrote:
>
> [finally, after a week on the newsgroup's racks the questionee gives in and
> admits what he intended to use the mic for, and it is NOT what he initially
> said it was about]
>
> > So why don't you use a headset or clip-on mic connected to the
> > telephone interface, set up the 55, and pretend that's what you're
> > broadcasting through?

> That's pure wisdom! - an omni ain't gonna cut it for "in audience" sports
> casting if the crowd gets enthusiastic.

I'm sorry to be confusing! I wasn't trying to be. I did want to use
the mic mostly for simple voice recording in a studio, to record PSAs
and promos. But I would love once to take it to a basketball game,
and I can take it to a women's game where crowd noise won't be as big
of a problem.

I really love the way the 55 SH sounds (and it's unidirectional) and
if I could get something like that inside my vintage fatboy chrome
shell, that would be perfect for me. I don't want it for show though,
I want it for myself, which is why I don't want to use it as a prop
(with a lav as the active mic). If I could get one that is
functional, it would become my prized possession.

If it can't be done, it can't be done, but I figured I'd ask.

Adam
Old January 2nd 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

> wrote:
>
>I'm sorry to be confusing! I wasn't trying to be. I did want to use
>it mostly for simple voice recording in a studio, to record PSAs and
>promos. But I would love once to take it to a basketball game, and I
>can take it to

1. Find out what you really want a microphone for.

2. Buy a microphone that is good for that application.

3. Stop worrying about what it looks like, unless looks are critical for
that application (as they are for TV stuff, tribute bands, etc).

Old January 2nd 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
jakdedert

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > wrote:
>> I'm sorry to be confusing! I wasn't trying to be. I did want to use
>> it mostly for simple voice recording in a studio, to record PSAs and
>> promos. But I would love once to take it to a basketball game, and I
>> can take it to

> 1. Find out what you really want a microphone for.
>
> 2. Buy a microphone that is good for that application.
>
> 3. Stop worrying about what it looks like, unless looks are critical for
> that application (as they are for TV stuff, tribute bands, etc).
> --scott

Amen to that, and I might add: if you need something, let the
experts--whose time you are requesting--what you need it for.

On the subject of #3, didn't they modify vintage mics for the 'Buddy
Holley Story', including some 55's? Seems I read, back when the movie
came out, a story about how they shot many of the musical performances live.

Wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Buddy_Holly_Story> mentions
the live concert scenes, but nothing about the technology involved.
They do go into depth about numerous historical innacuracies in the
movie....

jak
Old January 2nd 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

On Jan 2, 11:48 am, jakdedert > wrote:

> On the subject of #3, didn't they modify vintage mics for the 'Buddy
> Holley Story', including some 55's? Seems I read, back when the movie
> came out, a story about how they shot many of the musical performances live.

That doesn't mean that they actually used the mics that you saw in the
movie. There was probably an overhead boom mic that captured the sound
of the band, or maybe the singer had a hidden miniature mic to capture
his vocal. Good movie sound engineers are really good at placing and
hiding those things, and making a usable sound track from wild sound.
Or maybe they captured the band minus the vocal live and then
overdubbed that.

Movies are better than ever.
Old January 2nd 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 08:55:08 -0800 (PST), Mike Rivers
> wrote:

>On Jan 2, 11:48 am, jakdedert > wrote:
>
>> On the subject of #3, didn't they modify vintage mics for the 'Buddy
>> Holley Story', including some 55's? Seems I read, back when the movie
>> came out, a story about how they shot many of the musical performances live.

>That doesn't mean that they actually used the mics that you saw in the
>movie. There was probably an overhead boom mic that captured the sound
>of the band, or maybe the singer had a hidden miniature mic to capture
>his vocal. Good movie sound engineers are really good at placing and
>hiding those things, and making a usable sound track from wild sound.
>Or maybe they captured the band minus the vocal live and then
>overdubbed that.
>
>Movies are better than ever.

Apart from the Foleys, which go on getting more absurd by the day ;-(

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Old January 2nd 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jan 2, 11:48 am, jakdedert > wrote:
> Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > > wrote:
> >> I'm sorry to be confusing! I wasn't trying to be. I did want to use
> >> it mostly for simple voice recording in a studio, to record PSAs and
> >> promos. But I would love once to take it to a basketball game, and I
> >> can take it to

> > 1. Find out what you really want a microphone for.

> > 2. Buy a microphone that is good for that application.

> > 3. Stop worrying about what it looks like, unless looks are critical for
> > that application (as they are for TV stuff, tribute bands, etc).
> > --scott

> Amen to that, and I might add: if you need something, let the
> experts--whose time you are requesting--what you need it for.

I'm sorry. I thought I did. I said from the beginning I wanted it
for voice recording and possible radio broadcast, something
unidirectional similar to the 55 SH. I had this idea to use it at a
basketball game (a silly idea, but sounded fun), but if those mics
don't work for that application, that's fine. I just want something
functional inside the 55c case I bought.

If it can't be done, it can't be done, but I figured I'd ask. Sorry
to waste your time.

Adam

Good bass music for sound quality (no boom) WannaKatana Car Audio 8 December 30th 06 04:20 AM
Good music for sound quality WannaKatana Car Audio 5 December 29th 06 08:33 AM
Sound Trouble disturbed290 Car Audio 1 June 3rd 05 02:37 AM
Shure E2,3,5: sound quality, isolation? [email protected] Pro Audio 4 March 9th 05 09:49 PM
Good sound quality amp under 300.00 any suggestions? wangch Car Audio 6 April 17th 04 08:14 AM