Vintage Shure 55c, trouble getting good sound quality

Old January 1st 08, 05:52 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia

Default Vintage Shure 55c, trouble getting good sound quality

In article >,
(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> > wrote:
> >I am looking for mic help!
> >I just bought a vintage Shure 55c high impedance microphone, a new
> >vintage style 7' cable (3-pin amphenol to 1/4"), and a 1/4" to XLR
> >transformer from radio shack. I have connected it to several
> >different sound boards but struggle to get good sound quality.
> >Everything sounds muffled, like the bass is missing perhaps.

> Yes, those mikes are that way.
>
> >I purchased it on ebay, and the seller said the sound quality was
> >"amazing", though he said he tested it on a ham rig, and I don't know
> >much about that. I've been doing tons of research about impedance
> >matching, and I made sure to buy the right cables and all that, and
> >yet I can't get this thing to work the way I had hoped.

> The old 55 has no top end, no bottom end, and the pattern is just
> godawful. It is far worse than the SM-57 as a PA mike because the
> gain before feedback is just awful.
>
> >I've posted a sample that I recorded at a radio station I work at.
> >Please take a listen and let me know what you think.

> >Is it broken? Is it just old? Could I be wiring it wrong?

> No, they sounded awful when they were new too. You might try an active
> DI box to reduce the load on the thing, but don't expect it to sound
> as good as an SM-57.
> --scott
> --

Many years ago I got one at an auction. When I plugged it in, it sounded
like crap, so I sent it out to Shure for repair. When it came back, it
still sounded like crap. So I sent it back to Shure, telling them it
didn't sound right. And when it came back again, it still sounded like
crap. That's when my thick head finally got the message.

Years later a guy who kept renting it from me for photo and video shoots
asked if he could buy it. Lucky me.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Old January 1st 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 31 2007, 8:55*pm, Mike Rivers > wrote:
> On Dec 31, 6:44 pm, wrote:
>
> > What if used a bullet microphone, like the Shure 520DX? *It also has a
> > grill.

> It's good for playing blues harmonica into a guitar amplifier. Is this
> for television? If not, who cares what the mic looks like?
>
> Have you looked at the Heil Fin or Heritage models? They're cool
> looking and at least they're modern designs so they won't make you
> sound so much like a taxi cab dispatcher.
>
> http://www.heilsound.com/pro/product...tage/index.htm

Yeah, those are nice looking. The problem is I'm a pain in the ass
and only specifically like the original fat boy Shure 55 model. If
they made a Series II version of that (like they did with the 55sh), I
would buy it!
Old January 1st 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

> wrote:
>
>Yeah, those are nice looking. The problem is I'm a pain in the ass
>and only specifically like the original fat boy Shure 55 model. If
>they made a Series II version of that (like they did with the 55sh), I
>would buy it!

The 55SH reissue is pretty crappy, again because of the grille problems.
It's got an SM-57 capsule in it, which is a pretty good capsule, but the
grille screws the pattern up so the gain before feedback is much worse
than an SM-57.

Could you live with an omni? You could block up a 55 body and install
a small omni capsule. You'd still have all the awful edge effects of
the grille, but you wouldn't have to worry about rear venting which
would take a lot of the nastiness off. Unusable for PA work, but fine
for TV.
Old January 1st 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

> Could you live with an omni? *You could block up a 55 body and install
> a small omni capsule. *You'd still have all the awful edge effects of
> the grille, but you wouldn't have to worry about rear venting which
> would take a lot of the nastiness off. *Unusable for PA work, but fine
> for TV.

Yeah, I think that's what I might do, though I'm nervous about costs,
but I guess I've already sunk a lot into this, a little more won't
hurt. I thought the bullet is omnidirectional, but you said its junk,
right?

Honestly, I've used the 55 SH before, and I love the way it sounds.
It's not pro quality, but good enough for me, if that helps explain
what I'm looking for.

Again, thank you all for your help. It's greatly appreciated, and I
hope I'm not annoying or distracting from more productive discussions
in this group. I just really needed some quality advice, because I'm
pretty new to this.

Thanks,

Adam
Old January 1st 08, 08:10 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >,
> wrote:
>> Could you live with an omni? =A0You could block up a 55 body and install
>> a small omni capsule. =A0You'd still have all the awful edge effects of
>> the grille, but you wouldn't have to worry about rear venting which
>> would take a lot of the nastiness off. =A0Unusable for PA work, but fine
>> for TV.

>Yeah, I think that's what I might do, though I'm nervous about costs,
>but I guess I've already sunk a lot into this, a little more won't
>hurt.

I'm still totally at a loss for what you want, though.

> I thought the bullet is omnidirectional, but you said its junk,
>right?

No, it's a great microphone for distorted harmonica. If what you want
is a microphone for blues harp, it's the way to go.

>Honestly, I've used the 55 SH before, and I love the way it sounds.
>It's not pro quality, but good enough for me, if that helps explain
>what I'm looking for.

For WHAT, though? This is for a TV broadcast application? For PA?
For what? Why is it so important that the mike look a particular way?
Old January 1st 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

> For WHAT, though? *This is for a TV broadcast application? *For PA?
> For what? *Why is it so important that the mike look a particular way?
> --scott
> --
> "C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Hehe. I'll just come out with it. I am a college sportscaster, and I
would like to use this microphone once or twice for a basketball radio
broadcast at my university station in Washington DC. We have a comrex
hooked up to a phone line (we're not even ISDN), and our headset
microphones are average (though I don't know the model offhand,
sorry). Basically, I was hoping the vintage mic I bought would
compete with the headsets at our station, or even the $20 lapel mic I
bought at radio shack, so you know I'm not looking for pro quality
stuff.

I only wanted the vintage fatboy because I love the way it looks.
It's not for publicity, it's not for TV, it's simply for the sheer joy
of it. I know I'm being a pain in the ass, but this is something that
would make me very happy, and if it works, I will cherish it. I'm
normally very cheap and hate spending money, but in this case, I'm
willing to go for it.

Adam
Old January 1st 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jan 1, 2:27*pm, "Peter Larsen" > wrote:
> wrote:
>
> [quoting Scott Dorsey]
>
> >> Could you live with an omni? ...unusable for PA work, but fine
> >> for TV.

> > Yeah, I think that's what I might do, though I'm nervous about costs,
> > but I guess I've already sunk a lot into this, a little more won't
> > hurt. *I thought the bullet is omnidirectional, but you said its junk,
> > right?

> Digikey has a Panasonic omni electret that will be affordable. The
> practicalities of the transplant may of course cost you some if you can't do
> it yourself.
>
> > Adam

> * *Kind regards
>
> * *Peter Larsen

Thank you Peter. I think I will probably be going with something just
like that, but I will have to pay someone for the installation, I
think. I'm willing to spend money to get it right. The mic is now
with an instrument repair man who was very kind and said he would test
the mic for me on his equipment for free, and then said he would look
into finding something to replace the capsule if the original is no
good. I'll see what he says.

Thanks again,

Adam
Old January 1st 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

On Jan 1, 3:30 pm, wrote:

> I'll just come out with it. I am a college sportscaster, and I
> would like to use this microphone once or twice for a basketball radio
> broadcast at my university station

Finally! They all seem to come up with the missing details eventually.
As long as you're not also announcing the game over the PA system, you
don't have to worry about feedback, but you probably don't want to use
an omni either unless you have an enclosed booth, since it's probably
pretty noisy on the court. A headset mic is usually best for that kind
of application, and that's why your station uses them.

> I only wanted the vintage fatboy because I love the way it looks.

I can understand the inspiration. Dave Letterman doesn't really need a
vintage RCA mic, but it just looks right to him. I understand that he
occasionally taps it with a pencil and it sounds live, but I wouldn't
be surprised if his primary audio actually comes from a condenser clip-
on mic that the engineers are more comfortable with.

So why don't you use a headset or clip-on mic connected to the
telephone interface, set up the 55, and pretend that's what you're
broadcasting through?

Old January 1st 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Peter Larsen[_2_]

Mike Rivers wrote:

[finally, after a week on the newsgroup's racks the questionee gives in and
admits what he intended to use the mic for, and it is NOT what he initially
said it was about]

> So why don't you use a headset or clip-on mic connected to the
> telephone interface, set up the 55, and pretend that's what you're
> broadcasting through?

That's pure wisdom! - an omni ain't gonna cut it for "in audience" sports
casting if the crowd gets enthusiastic.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Good bass music for sound quality (no boom) WannaKatana Car Audio 8 December 30th 06 04:20 AM
Good music for sound quality WannaKatana Car Audio 5 December 29th 06 08:33 AM
Sound Trouble disturbed290 Car Audio 1 June 3rd 05 02:37 AM
Shure E2,3,5: sound quality, isolation? [email protected] Pro Audio 4 March 9th 05 09:49 PM
Good sound quality amp under 300.00 any suggestions? wangch Car Audio 6 April 17th 04 08:14 AM