Virus Isolation Recording

Old May 6th 20, 12:51 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_]

Default Virus Isolation Recording

Here's a recording by The Doobie Brothers ("Black Water"). Was this
recording made with each person adding his part separately as an
overdub? With the latency of the Internet, I don't see how they can
record in real time. Then again, maybe there's a service now with low
enough latency. So, does anyone have any insight on how this video was
likely recorded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZLY2ht9iBM

Old May 6th 20, 02:28 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 > wrote:
>Here's a recording by The Doobie Brothers ("Black Water"). Was this
>recording made with each person adding his part separately as an
>overdub? With the latency of the Internet, I don't see how they can
>record in real time. Then again, maybe there's a service now with low
>enough latency. So, does anyone have any insight on how this video was
>likely recorded?
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZLY2ht9iBM

There are applications like jamulus and jammr that allow a few people to
play together over low-latency internet connections, but more than a couple
people and you're stuck doing it all as overdubs. Which is probably not a
big deal for the Doobies who are all experts who have been recording that way
for fifty years.

Watch the Playing for Change videos for an example of someone going around
with a a laptop doing multiple overdubs all over the place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-TVg40ExM

The Richmond Symphony managed to do a full orchestra as a bunch of overdubs.
It still sounds like forty people playing in their living rooms individually
rather than sounding like an ensemble but you get what you can get in these
times.
Old May 6th 20, 11:06 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/05/2020 11:51 pm, mcp6453 wrote:
> Here's a recording by The Doobie Brothers ("Black Water"). Was this
> recording made with each person adding his part separately as an
> overdub? With the latency of the Internet, I don't see how they can
> record in real time. Then again, maybe there's a service now with low
> enough latency. So, does anyone have any insight on how this video was
> likely recorded?
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZLY2ht9iBM

Considering that most recordings in that genre have not been made live
together for the last decade or five, probably done as separate parts
dubbed in.

Even more likely considering the video aspect !