Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Vintage Shure 55c, trouble getting good sound quality

wrote:

Just to let everyone know what I did, I wound up replacing the capsule
in the mic with an SM58 capsule, and it sounds fantastic! Here is the
test:

Not neutral, but you never wanted that and there is bit of unuqie
flavouring to it from the case, congrats!

I get a very slight hiss when I turn the gain on the mixer up that I
don't get with an SM57 that I have. I think the problem is that the
cable I have for it has a 1/4" mono connector at the end, which I then
use a hi-z/lo-z transformer to fit into an XLR input. I think I need
a cable with an XLR connector at the end as opposed to a transformer.
Does this make sense?

Yes.

Anyway, this is what wound up happening. Thank you all for your help
and ideas! I'm really happy with the result!

You should so be. You have a unique one off "vintage-style" sound.

Adam

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Jan 13, 10:55 pm, wrote:
Just to let everyone know what I did, I wound up replacing the capsule
in the mic with an SM58 capsule,

I had to remove the original capsule (which is still intact and
usable) and its transformer

Did you replace the transformer with one from an SM58 or did you
connect the wires from the capsule directly to the connector at the
base of the mic?

I get a very slight hiss when I turn the gain on the mixer up that I
don't get with an SM57 that I have. I think the problem is that the
cable I have for it has a 1/4" mono connector at the end, which I then
use a hi-z/lo-z transformer to fit into an XLR input.

This is a problem. You're taking a low impedance/low level output from
the capsule, and running it through a transformer that further steps
down the voltage.

I think I need
a cable with an XLR connector at the end as opposed to a transformer.

That's correct. One "modification" to an SM57 (and I assume this also
applies to an SM58 since they're essentially the same capsule) is to
remove the transformer. This improves the low frequency response and
reduces some distortion, at the cost of a slightly lower output
level.

Assuming you have no transformer in your mic now (or even if you do),
you should rewire the connector at the base of the microphone to
conform to the "low impedance" configuration as shown on the schematic
(http://k-bay106.com/shure55a.pdf). Then use a piece of two conductor
shielded cable to go between the mic connector and an XLR. If you use
the original Shure wiring inside the mic (you should), the cable
shield goes to Pin 1 on both the mic connector and the XLR, and pins 2
and 3 of the mic connector go to the corresponding pins on the XLR.

This should give you a normal SM58 output level which, at a distance
of 4-5 inches, should require less than full gain on your preamp.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] air453@gmail.com is offline

Did you replace the transformer with one from an SM58 or did you
connect the wires from the capsule directly to the connector at the
base of the mic?

At first I connected the capsule directly to the original connector
(two wires, one green and one yellow which perfectly matched the wires
on SM58), and got a very good sound, but there was substantial hiss
(not huge, but noticeable). Although I've done some soldering before,
I didn't want to cut the cable and replace it with an XLR connector
just yet (mostly because it's the only vintage connector I have, and I
didn't want to mess it up), so I decided to try installing the
internal transformer from the SM58, which I had just managed to get
out by basically boiling the glue around it (as had been suggested on
the internet). It was messy, and I wasn't sure the transformer was
going to work, but I attached it and got significantly higher output
and less noticeable hiss. I was even able to slide it into the same
slot the original vintage transformer was housed in!

I also did not notice much of a difference between the sound quality
with or without the internal transformer (they both sounded warm),
though my ears are probably just not that sensitive!

This is a problem. You're taking a low impedance/low level output from
the capsule, and running it through a transformer that further steps
down the voltage.

Yeah, that's what I thought

Assuming you have no transformer in your mic now (or even if you do),
you should rewire the connector at the base of the microphone to
conform to the "low impedance" configuration as shown on the schematic
(http://k-bay106.com/shure55a.pdf). Then use a piece of two conductor
shielded cable to go between the mic connector and an XLR. If you use
the original Shure wiring inside the mic (you should), the cable
shield goes to Pin 1 on both the mic connector and the XLR, and pins 2
and 3 of the mic connector go to the corresponding pins on the XLR.

I will probably try this. The cable I have is this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Micropho...QQcmdZViewItem
Am I assuming correctly that if I simply remove the 1/4" connector and
replace it with an XLR connector (wiring it the way you suggested) I
will have a proper lo-z cable for my microphone?

Thanks again for all your help, Mike, and thank you Peter for your
comments!

Adam
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jan 14, 10:29 pm, wrote:

The cable I have is this:http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Micropho...hure-55-51-708...
Am I assuming correctly that if I simply remove the 1/4" connector and
replace it with an XLR connector (wiring it the way you suggested) I
will have a proper lo-z cable for my microphone?

There's not enough information to tell how the cable is wired, or even
what type of cable is inside the jacket. First step is to unscrew the
shell of the 1/4" plug and try to determine if the cable has two
conductors inside the shield or just one. If it's two conductor,
you're in good shape. I suspect that this may be the case since the
seller is offering an XLR version at the same price, which suggests
(if he's making them right) that he's using 2-conductor cable.

According to the Shure diagram, there's a jumper between pins 1 and 2
inside the connector on the mic end. You'll want to remove this as
well when you modify the cable. To be sure, write to the seller and
ask him how he's wired the cable.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jan 15, 7:17 am, Mike Rivers wrote:
On Jan 14, 10:29 pm, wrote:

[...]

Ok, so I unscrewed the 14" end and took a look. I don't know much
about this exactly (usually i fix these things by trial and error),
but it looks like there's two wires, a red and a white, and then there
is some exposed wire soldered onto the same part as the white wire.

Removing that jumper makes me nervous, because I don't want to damage
the connector. First, if I unscrew the connector, will I be able to
easily get it back in place? And then, what is a jumper and how to I
remove it? Is it just solder than I can melt off?

Thanks,

Adam

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jan 15, 12:54 pm, wrote:

Ok, so I unscrewed the 14" end and took a look. I don't know much
about this exactly (usually i fix these things by trial and error),
but it looks like there's two wires, a red and a white, and then there
is some exposed wire soldered onto the same part as the white wire.

Removing that jumper makes me nervous

And then, what is a jumper and how to I
remove it? Is it just solder than I can melt off?

Not to be mean and nasty, but I think you'd better get someone to do
the work. Watch and then you'll know more the next time you need to
make or modify a cable.

The fact that you have a red and white wire, plus an "exposed
wire" (that's the cable shield) means that you have the proper kind of
wire, but you need to remove the 1/4" plug and replace it with an
XLR.

A jumper is a piece of wire connected between two terminals on the
plug. It's represented in Figure D of the Shure data sheet by a dotted
line between pins 1 and 2 on the connector. And taking a second look
at that diagram, it looks like Pin 3 on the mic connector should go to
Pin 2 of the XLR, Pin 2 on the mic connector should go to Pin 3 of the
XLR and Pins 1 of both connectors should be connected to the cable
shield.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[...]

Hehe, yeah, there's a professional engineer close by that should be
able to do it.
Thanks for the help, though!

Adam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] air453@gmail.com is offline

Hey everyone,

Sorry to bring back an old topic, but thank you everyone who helped me
make a hybrid out of my vintage 55c. It has turned out great! There
is currently a 58 element and transformer in it, and on Wednesday I
used it at a George Washington women's basketball game (for radio).
It was perfect! It was fun to use, and surprisingly effective! We
sat right next to the bench, and the student section was directly
behind me, and yet the mic sounded at least as good, if not better
than the normal headset my color guy was using. The broadcast was
also recorded by the technicians in the arena (for posterity I guess),
and he said it sounded great!

So thanks to all of you, especially for your patience with me.

Adam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] mhml3415@gmail.com is offline

Hi Adam,

I know these posts are from 12 years ago but I'm hoping the posters and you are still active on this google group.

I just purchased a Shure 55 Fatboy, not sure when it was manufactured since the written material on the mike is not legible. The exterior is in fantastic shape and the interier components are all in tact. It has a TS 1/4" connector and I have NOT tested it at all. I have just ordered the TS to XLR adaptor but I'm anticipating that the Fatboy will sound terrible thus I'd like to convert it to the SM58 just as you did. Any advice in doing so would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Howard

Hey everyone,

Sorry to bring back an old topic, but thank you everyone who helped me
make a hybrid out of my vintage 55c. It has turned out great! There
is currently a 58 element and transformer in it, and on Wednesday I
used it at a George Washington women's basketball game (for radio).
It was perfect! It was fun to use, and surprisingly effective! We
sat right next to the bench, and the student section was directly
behind me, and yet the mic sounded at least as good, if not better
than the normal headset my color guy was using. The broadcast was
also recorded by the technicians in the arena (for posterity I guess),
and he said it sounded great!

So thanks to all of you, especially for your patience with me.

Adam

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
I just purchased a Shure 55 Fatboy, not sure when it was manufactured since=
the written material on the mike is not legible. The exterior is in fanta=
stic shape and the interier components are all in tact. It has a TS 1/4" c=
onnector and I have NOT tested it at all. I have just ordered the TS to XL=
R adaptor but I'm anticipating that the Fatboy will sound terrible thus I'd=
like to convert it to the SM58 just as you did. Any advice in doing so wo=
uld be greatly appreciated. =20

Download the manual from Shure. Make sure you get the right one... I am
assuming from the fact that it came with a TS cable that it was the multi
impedance model. For modern inputs, set the switch to position M.

Take the Amphenol connector off that cable and throw the rest of it away
because it's not useful. Connect a cable with an XLR connector to the
Amphenol connector... you do NOT want to use an unbalanced cable with this
microphone once it's in medum-Z mode. The Amphenol connector is wired
with the same numbering as an XLR... pin 1 is shield, pin 2 hot, pin 3
ground. However, the pins are not in the same positions so look at the
numbers in the plastic block. Solder hot and fast because many of these
are old and crispy.

Putting an SM-58 capsule into one of these really doesn't change the sound
very much... it still sounds terrible even with the 58 capsule in there
because what is wrong with the sound is mostly the grille and body design
creating all kinds of internal resonances. And putting a 58 capsule inside
will substantially devalue it. So if it is working, I would not touch
it... just make up the correct cable so you can use it properly with a
normal balanced line.

If it isn't working, put a 58 capsule in there, sure.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
MHMLSHURE MHMLSHURE is offline

Thanks Scott! I tested the Shure 55 fatboy last night and it actually worked!!!!!! Very pleased. I might not have to do anything at this point but am interested in being able to use an XLR connector so I can press my California Blonde amp into services with it.
When I take the connector apart, I see that it actually has 3 wires, 1, 2, and 3 so I think its balanced but not sure. Its paired with the TS connector for an unbalanced application. I ordered a Hosa MIT - 129 1/4€¯ TS to XLR3M impedance transformer (connector) so I can use it with my amp that requires an XLR input. Not sure this will work for me. But it works perfectly right now with an old Karaoke platform I had laying around - the platform accepts the TS connector. I have to turn the volume up quite a bit however€¦.

Based on your suggestion, I will NOT be installing the SM-58 capsule in the mike.

Howard

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 8:50:57 AM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:

[...]

Good bass music for sound quality (no boom) WannaKatana Car Audio 8 December 30th 06 05:20 AM
Good music for sound quality WannaKatana Car Audio 5 December 29th 06 09:33 AM
Sound Trouble disturbed290 Car Audio 1 June 3rd 05 02:37 AM
Shure E2,3,5: sound quality, isolation? [email protected] Pro Audio 4 March 9th 05 10:49 PM
Good sound quality amp under 300.00 any suggestions? wangch Car Audio 6 April 17th 04 08:14 AM